Making Batik Fabric with Crayons

by Susan Myers on April 1, 2011

This is a great way to make your own brightly colored batik fabric using crayons!  A vintage craft come to life!

making batik fabric with crayons

I’m always looking through my vintage craft magazines for fresh ideas, and every now and then I pick one and run with it. As a quilter, I’ve always had a preference for batik fabrics. I love the vibrant colors! Well, if you have been following my blog for any time, you probably already know that I love me some color. And the idea of using a resist to block color in areas is something that I love doing with my Ukrainian eggs. So, a mix of color and resist dyeing with crayons just seemed right up my alley.

Now before I go any further, I’m betting there was probably an easier way to do this. But I will tell you how I did it, using my instructions that came from a 1956 Workbasket magazine and a few edits thrown in from me when I ran across some minor roadblocks.

Several boxes of crayons from the dollar store
100% Cotton fabric (light color)
Fabric Spray Dye (black)
Black Fabric Pen
Cheap paintbrushes
Muffin Tin
Deep Dish Griddle
Newspaper
Iron

making batik fabric with crayons

First, I cut the light fabric into two 12” squares. I wanted a colorful town street scene, so I drew in pencil the basic design that I wanted.

making batik fabric with crayons

Okay, now we get into where I had to do some edits on my instructions. The original instructions called for melting the crayons in little cups that you make out of aluminum foil and floating them in a pan of boiling water.  I instead used a deep dish griddle, added water to it and floated the muffin tin in it.  Keeping the water at a simmer, it allowed the crayons to stay melted in a make-shift double boiler.

making batik fabric with crayons

They took about 5 minutes to melt. Don’t worry- it doesn’t stink up the kitchen. Actually, this part was rather easy to do.  *Edit: One of my readers suggested using candle melting plates which might work even better to keep the wax melted while painting.

making batik fabric with crayons

Lay your fabric on aluminum foil to prevent the wax from going through to your counter. Start a small pan of boiling water to use to clean your brushes as you go. I used very inexpensive brushes for this project as I was planning to throw them away afterward.

making batik fabric with crayons

Dip your brush in the melted wax and then start painting away! (Suggested clean up for this part of the project- I threw away the brushes, and the hardened wax was easy to pop out of the muffin tin for future use. Any residue in the pan can be re-melted in the oven for a minute or two and then wiped away). Do not pour hot wax down your drain!

making batik fabric with crayons

Once the entire piece of fabric is covered with colored wax, it is ready for the next step- adding dye. Take each piece of wax covered fabric and wad them up in a ball, creating many tiny cracks in the wax.

The instructions called for cold water dye with good reason. If you added this to hot water- all your wax would melt! Unfortunately, the only dye that I could find that did not call for hot water was spray dye that I found at my local craft store. No problem. I simply laid the pieces of fabric out on trash bags and then sprayed the crap out of them with the spray dye. I then patted them down with paper towels to get off the extra dye and let them dry overnight.

making batik fabric with crayons

They looked terrible at this point and I was a bit worried. But I had faith.

making batik fabric with crayons

The next step is to lay them between two pieces of newspaper and using an iron set at the highest setting, begin to iron out the wax. You will have to change the newspaper quite often, and I’m not gonna lie, this took a while. I went through an entire Sunday paper on this project.

making batik fabric with crayons

But look at the result! Wow!

making batik fabric with crayons

My final step on the batik design was to add a few details with a black fabric pen.

making batik fabric with crayons
making batik fabric with crayonsmaking batik fabric with crayons

I made mine into pretty city pillows to put on my guest bed, but you can do anything with this batik fabric that you might do with regular fabric.  Quilts, tablecloths, dresses, table runners, whatever.  In fact, it would probably make awesome Christmas pillows using a Christmas design.

If you enjoyed this tutorial, you might enjoy my Flip Flop Pillow tutorial.  How to create a whimsical pillow that will give a room a summery look.

Or check out my Ukrainian egg tutorial- another method of batik that creates a very detailed look, using beeswax as the resist and dye, you can create amazing egg art.

For more than 150 detailed craft tutorials for all ages, be sure to visit my tutorial page.

style="display:inline-block;width:300px;height:250px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-0177917944317053"
data-ad-slot="5463245180">

{ 161 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Andi C. November 5, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I somehow found this post through a post on Hometalk – and I am so happy that I did! This is a great tutorial with awesome results! thank you for the inspiration! I will be following you from now on :)

2 Susan Myers November 6, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by! I’m so glad I was able to inspire!

3 Kristie September 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm

This is a very creative idea, way better than the traditional batik process and more colors to choose from with Crayola’s as opposed to dyes which are harder to mix and get the colors just right.

4 Susan Myers September 27, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Thanks, Kristie! If you decide to try it, would love to see what you come up with!

5 Melissa May 20, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I love this idea, but I have had a problem and was wondering if you can resolve it :) I melted the wax in a deep dish griddle, but by the time I got it on my fabric it had melted pretty quickly on the brush. This left for it to be incredibly hard to work with. I am working in my basement studio which is a little cooler and I am not sure if this is the issue? Do you have a solution for this? I am currently working on just trying to color directly onto the fabric per another suggestion that I read on here for little kids, but I am worried that the crayons are not going to make enough cracks to get the “batik” look. I am waiting for the fabric dye to dry right now! I am hoping to do this project with little kids (ages 6-9) Thanks so much for the wonderful idea!

6 Melissa May 20, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I should say it “cooled” pretty quickly on the brush, not melted! Thank you for your help!

7 Susan Myers May 20, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Hi Melissa!

It sounds like your hot plate is not getting the crayons hot enough. It needs to be very liquid when you are working with it so that the fabric absorbs the wax. If the fabric does not absorb it properly, the dye will bleed through the crayons. You don’t want your wax steaming (that is too hot), but it needs to be thoroughly melted so that you have plenty of time to move it from the pan to the fabric.

Also- be sure to use 100% cotton fabric – it absorbs the wax well. This particular project may not be suited for little kids due to the fact that the wax does need to be hot. If you color directly onto the fabric, just make sure you color thickly, then put the fabric between newspapers and iron it. This will melt the crayon into the fabric.

Hope that helps!!

8 Lisal May 13, 2014 at 12:55 pm

The batik project did not work for us! Painting went well..the electric skillet to keep the paint tins hot worked great. The black dye went on fine and rinsed out ok but it stained the backside of the fabric too. When I ironed off the crayons, the crayon color was very faint and even covered in some places by the dye that seeped through the back of the fabric….. Any suggestions?

9 Susan Myers May 13, 2014 at 8:18 pm

What type of fabric did you use? 100% Cotton works best. The fabric needs to soak up the crayon wax. If it soaks it up, the dye shouldn’t penetrate. Wax is a common resist used in all batik making, but the fabric needs to soak it up. That may also explain why the color is only faint.

Let me know…

10 Jill May 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm

We just did this project as well. I’ve been saving it for months and finally got to it. I’m thinking probably your wax wasn’t hot enough. We painted for awhile with just melted wax, and it worked not too bad, but when we turned up the heat in our electric frying pan so the water was almost boiling, the wax got way hotter and stayed liquid on our brushes. Then when we put it on our fabric, it immediately soaked through. I ironed mine a little before putting it in the dye and that melted the wax into the fabric where it hadn’t soaked in, so mine turned out ok, but I’m afraid my kids’ might be all black. Too bad after all the work they went to. Oh well. We said it was an experiment, and I’m so enthused about it, we’re gonna do more! And, in the end after ironing mine I ended up boiling it for a few minutes and the color really showed up then. Wow! Maybe made the black a little fainter, but it’s pretty cute, I think.
Thanks for the inspiration Suzy!

11 Michelle R. April 24, 2014 at 11:00 am

Oh I am SO IN LOVE with this activity!!! I found your site via a link on a blog and am SO happy I did. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do for an art piece above my fireplace and I’ll be doing something using this technique. THANK YOU!!! (From the bottom of my heart!!!) ~Michelle

12 Susan Myers April 29, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Oh wow. I would love to see what you come up with! Thanks so much for stopping by!

13 Cindy deRosier March 15, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a neat idea!

14 Tina Peterson March 6, 2014 at 8:29 pm

This is so neat! I wanted to ask – would it be possible to use wax pencils or something instead of using hot melted wax? I’m thinking there is such a thing & then I would still melt it using an iron….. I would be doing something similar to this with a 4 & 6 & 8 year old. I’m not worried about the 8 year old but the younger kiddos – I’m not sure if I’m comfortable having them use hot crayon wax.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

15 Susan Myers March 6, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Hi Tina!

For the younger ones, I would suggest having them color directly onto the fabric, then use newspapers and an iron to melt the crayon into the fabric. Would love to see what you come up with!

16 Deb March 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Or you can have the younger ones use sandpaper to draw on and then place on the fabric, colored side down, and then iron. The rough surface of the sandpaper holds more of the crayon than regular paper. Used to do this with my kids and we used a medium grade sandpaper and it worked well.

17 Danielle Benson-Fennell March 6, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Wonderful tutorial! I do traditional Batik with my high school art classes, and limit the colors. I will try this in a couple of weeks! Thank you!

18 aliza patell ratnayaka February 2, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Thanks for sharing the wonderful tutorial. I have seen the batik being boiled out with hot water. I have’nt tried it but will be giving it a go with this tutorial I think.

19 Muzzy93 July 16, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Wow I love this tutorial!

I fear I’m being silly but is it the dying or the ironing process that sets the colour so the fabric can be washed afterwards?

I’ve been trying to work out how to make a skirt that looks like the melted crayon art that’s been around on pinterest recently….perhaps I will try something along these lines and see what happens!

20 Susan Myers July 16, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I believe the ironing process sets the color into the fabric. When washing, I would recommend cold water only so that you do not fade the colors. Let me know if you decide to try it. I would love to see your finished project!

21 N July 11, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Hi!

I LOVE this project! I’d like to try this with my friends (we get together for crafting sessions all the time!), and want to know if it’ll work on plain white t-shirts? 100% cotton.

22 Susan Myers July 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Hi!
It should work fine on T-shirts! The fabric that I used was 100% cotton too. Would love to see your projects when they are complete!

23 Terri Pike June 20, 2013 at 10:29 am

Hi Susan,

I know this is an old blog post, but I just found it via Pinterest. Always late to the party, me!
Anyway, I tried it, and it turned out way better than I thought it would! Here is a link to the pics, if you’d like to see what your post inspired:

and

Thanks so much for your tutorial, I really enjoyed the project!

Terri

24 Tina Peterson March 6, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Love the elephant!

25 Lalitha June 3, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Great idea! I would like to try this out as a summer camp project with 9 – 12 year old children but have a question – how do you get the black dye out finally? Do you have to wash it out, or does it come off when you iron it? Please let me know. Thanks.

26 Susan Myers June 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Hi Lalitha,

Most of the black dye sits on top of the crayon, so when you iron it, it will come off onto the newspapers, leaving only the small lines of dye on the fabric as permanent. Remember that lots of ironing is involved. :)

Hope that helps. Would love to see your finished projects!

27 Janis Cox April 16, 2013 at 4:38 pm

That was a very interesting tutorial. I do watercolour batik on batik rice paper and really like working with it. You can find some of my paintings here http://www.janiscox.com/gallery-for-janis-cox/
I would love to try this on fabric. I wonder if I used my watercolour paints, and then the wax – would the wax protect the fabric or would it melt off? I assume that your batik pillow cushions are not washable?

Blesssings and great to meet you. Found you on PInterest.
Janis

28 Susan Myers April 23, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Love the turtle! You do amazing work!! In fact, I would love to feature you sometime!

I’m not sure how watercolor and fabric might work together. You may have to experiment. The pillows that I made are definitely washable, but cold water wash is best otherwise the colors fade.

Let me know if you decide to experiment!

29 Janis Cox May 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Thank you very much for your kind words and encouragement. Now that I think about it I am sure I would have to use fabric paints to do batik on fabric.
But I will continue batik on the rice paper.
Blessings,
Janis

30 Jennifer February 5, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I watched a batiker work at a show once and she had her muffin tins in an electric skillet on a low heat to keep thing liquid

31 Marilyn December 26, 2012 at 11:08 pm

The batik looks wonderful! I’ve been on a quilting and fabric hiatus for the oh…last eight years or so but just.bought more fabric today!!!
I know there are crayons that are intended for fabrics wondering bout giving those a try-also to get wax outta the tins just try putting it in the freezer!
Will have to try your methods!thanks

32 Suzy December 27, 2012 at 9:46 am

Hi Marilyn!

Thanks for the freezer tip! I am planning on revisiting this project in the near future. I purchased a deep griddle that I can add water to, use as a double boiler, and keep my tin of crayons melted while I work.

Let me know if you decide to try it, and be sure to send me a picture! I’d love to see it!

33 Trish October 17, 2012 at 7:06 pm

In school our tins were kept warm in an electric skillet, with a 1/2 inch of water…not good for little children, but fine for the older & the “grown ups” :-) Your batik ideas are really fun!

34 April October 5, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I wonder if after you melted the crayons in the muffin tin, couldn’t you keep it warm or melted on a heating pad set on the hottest setting? Just an idea. Thanks for sharing. Really great idea.

35 magsanna October 4, 2012 at 6:48 am

Just saw your batik fabric on Pinterest. These are so beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial!

36 Jackie September 10, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I love these batiks. The finished effect is fantastic. On the subject of the crayons, however, I recently repinned someone’s tutorial (sorry – can’t remember their name!) on melting smashed up crayons in SILICONE muffin moulds. With this method, the silicone has 2 really good advantages: it can withstand really high temperatures, and is also bendy – so it’s really easy to get the wax out once it’s set. (The original idea was to make your own heart-shaped ‘rainbow’ crayons, as a heart-shaped muffin mould was used with different coloured crayon pieces put into each individual mould. I did wonder if you could turn them into candles, too, if you put a wick in the bottom. I intend to try this, too!)

37 Eric September 5, 2012 at 12:23 am

This is just awesome.. Making batik fabric from crayons.. Creative idea.. I would love to try that.. thanks for sharing this awesome informations

38 Eric September 5, 2012 at 12:13 am

What a creative idea about making batik craft for kids.. It’s just beautiful. Thanks for sharing..

39 Sharon August 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

Holy Crayola .. I love this, I am an artist, this is a new “medium” I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for “teaching”. iliil

40 lauradodson August 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm

holymoly. this is awesome! I am going to do this with my MS and HS art classes this year! FULLY AWESOME. Thanks for the tutorial.

41 Suzy August 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

Hi Laura!

I’d love to see photos when you do! I bet you will get some awesome art. Regarding melting the crayons, I have since discovered that it is much easier to use a deep griddle, large enough to fit your muffin tin in. Simply add water to the griddle creating a double boiler, and float your muffin tin. Keep the water at a simmer and the crayons will melt quickly and stay melted while you work with them.

Let me know how it goes!

42 Amy @ Heriyage Homemaker July 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Love, love this! On my “gotta make” list!

43 Priti July 21, 2012 at 4:50 am

WOW, I really enjoyed reading your post, this is something pretty cool and I will surely try it out. Thanks for sharing such an interesting idea.
xoxo :)

44 Angela July 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm

These are just amazing! Can’t wait to try this batik technique. Really appreciate your honesty as you went thru the steps!

45 Barbara Meek July 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Wow. I love your batik and will try this with my groups. Thanks :-)

46 Ang June 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I did this in my highschool art class and it was a blast. I was trying to remember the process and you captured it just the way I remember. The only note I would add is that we used one of those plug in double burner units and put a metal rectular cake pan with water on top and then put the muffin tin on top of that with the little cup parts down in the water to heat to the wax. This way it stays hot while you work. I know it could be impractical to to buy this if you are just doing one project, but it might work on some stove tops too if you can work close to the stove.

47 Alex June 22, 2012 at 12:27 am

I have the same question as Kathleen; do you need the cold water dye? Don’t the crayons provide the dye when you remove the wax from them?

48 Suzy June 23, 2012 at 8:57 am

Hi Alex!

The cold water dye is to create the fine black lines that make it look batik. Yes, the crayons dye the fabric and that is what creates the bright colors. I have had a couple readers use crayons only and had great results, but theirs did not have the crackle effect. It is all in what you want it to look like. Thanks so much for stopping by!!

49 Anna May 22, 2012 at 8:59 pm

where did you find the spray cold water fabrik dye? i live in canada, and cannot find a dye in my town. what brand did you use and can i order it online?
thanks, Anna

50 Suzy May 23, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hi Anna! I used Tulip Brand Spray Fabric Paint. I bought it at our local craft store called, Michael’s. You can get it on line at places like Amazon.com. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=tulip+spray+fabric+paint&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=681&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4660910668518753844&sa=X&ei=3vm8T8OvIcmZgwfYw_iIDw&ved=0CMABEPMCMAE

Hope that helps! Let me know how your project turns out!

51 Laura Harrington March 31, 2012 at 9:21 am

I did this in high school and used an electric skillet with water in it and mason jars. In fact I still have mason jars full of dried wax in my art box. But it keeps the wax all melted and allows for easy peasy cleanup. Try it!

52 Handful March 8, 2012 at 3:18 pm

This is so cool! I really want to try this.

53 Kelly March 5, 2012 at 5:26 am

What about using a griddle to keep the crayon paint warm?

54 Suzy March 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Hi Kelly,

I’m about to try this project again and using a griddle is on my list. Thanks!

55 Hillary April 4, 2012 at 9:23 am

I did use the electric skillet and it worked out well. I lined the muffin tins with aluminum cupcake liners. I think the best temp to keep the wax melted was about 250. This thing looked so terrible when I was working on it that I really had my doubts. (I am not a talented artist…) They turned out really nicely. My daughter used yellow and orange for an elephant and it looked more vibrant and lovely than the one I made. I made a green octopus in a blue ocean and it turned out well, but I would choose more bright/contrasting colors in the future.

56 Shauna July 9, 2012 at 4:53 pm

That’s what I use for such projects- a griddle. I actually found one for less than $20. at the grocery store! I’ve never done this batik project though. It’s beautiful! I’m color crazy so this caught my eye immediately! Thanks so much for sharing it. I’m happy to have found your wonderful blog! I feel like I found a treasure chest!

57 Michelle Didbin February 2, 2012 at 4:45 pm

My daughter (age 9) and I just had a go at this tutorial. Fantastic.

Looking good so far… just got to break out the newspaper.

58 tamy January 17, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’m impressed. I was just going to add an idea. If using the muffin tin, set it down inside a 13×9 baking pan with water in the bottom before heating. It will take longer to heat in the beginning but the it will stay hot and melted longer.

59 michele prior January 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm

WOW!!!! Do you think this would work on sheers? I have a bay window that the sun shines through, and do not want to completely block the sun.

thanks

60 Chris May 11, 2012 at 11:00 am

If your sheer curtains are a natural (like cotton) material, it should work. Polyester doesn’t dye well, so I don’t think it will.

61 Lynda December 21, 2011 at 8:25 am

Absolutely beautiful!! I’ve gotta try this. Thanks for the tut.

62 Belinda December 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm

This is just wonderful. I just found your blog and am amazed at all the great ideas and tutorials! Do you think watered down paint would work as well as the dye?

63 Mel the Crafty Scientist October 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I absolutely LOOOOVE this project, Suzy (just like I love all your projects)! It turned out so well and you've inspired me to make one of my own! I also wanted to tell you that I featured you over at my blog here. Please feel free to grab a featured button if you want!

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

64 Textile Art Showcase August 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm

These are so bright and colourful and look really effective. I can't wait to have a go. Thanks for sharing your instructions.

65 Suzy Myers August 25, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Hi Mooshoo,

Yes you can, but be sure to use cold water. Hot water will fade the bright colors.

66 mooshoo August 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm

this looks like fun!!
my only question:

can you wash the material after this in a regular cycle?

67 Danee August 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I love these.

68 Ani July 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

I am featuring you and your wonderful crayon idea on my blog today! Feel free to check it out!

Thanks for such a great idea!

69 Kathleen July 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Your pillows turned out beautifully. I am wondering if you have to use the black dye or can you just iron out the wax? I have a project in mind and I might give your technique a try.

70 Vero July 2, 2011 at 2:54 am

MARAVILLOSO

71 MamaMay June 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm
72 MamaMay May 29, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Super Awesome! Love the post!

73 Anonymous May 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm

If you happen to have an old hot plate or warming tray you can set your muffin tin on it and the wax will stay melted.

74 Anonymous September 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm

you can also use a heating pad

75 Poddle May 6, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I finally got a chance to give it a go. The end result can be seen here if you're interested: http://poddleblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/wax-crayon-batik.html
Thanks again!

76 Poddle April 23, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Oh wow. I've done various versions of batik before but as another lover of bold colours, this takes the biscuit. I can't wait to try it!

77 Roseanna April 16, 2011 at 2:05 am

Your batik is beautiful, I just love it…I must bust out those old broken crayons. I have a suggestion for keeping them at the right melted temperature. I would use my electric frying pan. I often use it as a double boiler this way. Place a sheet of aluminum foil in the bottom to protect it, and add about an inch of water. Place your muffin pan or aluminum foil cups in the water. It is easy to keep it at the right temp. thanks for sharing this great tutorial!

78 Cranberry Morning April 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm

This is gorgeous! Love this work. Thanks for posting it.

79 Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma April 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Suzy-

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice! Hope to see you back this week!

80 Krafty Kat April 12, 2011 at 1:08 am

This is very creative! I like the city scene you made. Thanks for sharing this week! Sharing this idea on Twitter!

81 Rhinestone Beagle April 11, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Super cute! Thanks so much for linkin up. Can't wait to see what you have for next week.

82 Anonymous April 11, 2011 at 5:39 am

I have always loved batik and now you have made it accessable to me in this great project, I just can hardly wait to get to the dollor store tomorrow to get some crayons! Thanks so much for a great idea, This is my first time here and I'm looking forward to seeing much more from you, I'll be stopping by regularly now! Louella

83 AllieMakes! April 11, 2011 at 1:00 am

Wow! You are a feerless crafter! These are FANTASTIC! Great job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

84 Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence April 10, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Wow, what amazing results–love them! Thanks so much for linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence.

85 Sachiko April 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

This is amazing! Thank you for sharing! :)

86 Apple Scrapper April 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I love how this looks and I don't even generally like batik prints :) I wonder if you could do this on top of a griddle like they do here with paper http://hubpages.com/hub/meltedcrayonart then you could just draw with the crayons and you wouldn't have to keep melting them or need paint brushes.

87 Michelle April 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm

saw this on life in the micro! love it. I'm going to follow you now. Have a great weekend!
Michelle

88 Bobbie April 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Holy cow! That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! I am featuring it over on my blog at http://iamonly1woman.blogspot.com today. I hope you don't mind!

89 Craftberry Bush April 8, 2011 at 3:28 am

Oh Suzy these are so beautiful…I remember making these with my art students ! thanks for sharing ! xo
Lucy

90 Christina April 8, 2011 at 1:17 am

you come up with some really fun ideas!! Great!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

91 Kristi April 8, 2011 at 12:41 am

This is so awesome, Suzy! I featured this, this week. Thanks for linking it up! I can't wait to try it with Han.

92 mommyof2tuties April 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Super cute nope not cute…BEAUTIFUL!! I was wondering if u could use a plug-in skillet (not the techniqical term sorry), to help keep ur crayons to stay warm while u paint?

93 Courtenay April 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm

They are so beautiful! The best way I've found to work with wax safely and keep it warm is to put small pyrex custard cups in an electric skillet, pour in boiling water and turn on the skillet to top heat to melt the wax, then turn down to keep the wax warm, just be sure to keep the water level up.

94 by night April 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm

beautiful! thank you for this fabulous idea!

95 Melissa April 7, 2011 at 5:23 am

That is really fun! Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All!

Melissa

MyCraftieLife.Blogspot.com

96 Suzy D. April 7, 2011 at 2:34 am

Wow!
Beautiful, I've done regular batik with less vivid results. I'd love to try this.
thanks!

97 Aimee April 7, 2011 at 12:32 am

I knew there was a reason I saved all my children's crayons. They had to be good for something other than coloring books. I love the deep color the crayons leave. The black dye really bumps the color and sophistication up.

98 momma rae April 7, 2011 at 12:01 am

stunning!! i am love with the look of this fabric. we have two extra boxes of crayolas sitting on top of our fridge…..

99 Julie Bagamary April 6, 2011 at 11:13 pm

These are gorgeous. Batiks are my favorite too!

100 Suzy April 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Hi Annie,

Actually someone earlier suggested candle melting plates which would probably work better to keep them melted while painting.

As for the oven, I supervised mine carefully and found that it only took about 3 minutes or so to melt the crayons.

101 Anonymous February 23, 2013 at 1:58 am

I first made this project in my high school art class. I’ve made many since and taught this technique to my own art students. We used griddles and simply placed a muffin tin on them – then put your crayons in the muffin tin cups. The griddle keeps the crayons melted while you paint – easy peasy. We used India ink for the black lines. We also used newspapers for the ironing part, but found that the ink from the paper will get on your fabric, so we kept cheap newsprint paper next to the fabric to keep our fabric clean. This project is always a big hit! Love your projects.

102 amber heagerty April 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm

This project is amazing…I'm so glad you shared it!Just my type of thing to do…

found you via FPTFY :)

103 Miko's Girl April 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I'm your newest follower. My girls did something similar at Art lessons. I have wanted to do something similar since. Thanks for the instructions.

104 Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State April 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm

WOW! That is really neat!

Visiting from Tea Rose Home!

105 Bitterroot Mama April 6, 2011 at 2:19 pm

That is beautiful! Here from WFMW. It makes me want to make a project like this.

106 mississippi artist April 6, 2011 at 1:28 pm

These are beautiful! Art pieces for sure. Another thiing to add to my to-do list for someday.

107 KJ@letsgoflyakite April 6, 2011 at 10:53 am

This is absolutely stunning. I found you via Someday Crafts. I am going to send this link to my sister who is a Fine Arts teacher as well. HAve a great day!

108 Jenny @ Embellishing Life April 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Looks great! Your talent amazes me. I really think you could conquer any crafting project!

109 Suzy April 5, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Mountain rose- That is an excellent idea! I will be doing this again and I definitely will try that!

110 Mountainrose April 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm

why not get a couple of candle melting plates and either tin pans like a pot pie comes in or small glass jars to melt your crayons in? would still give you the melted wax you want.

111 Ani April 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Beautiful! This is like the third or fourth project you've posted that's wonderful and right up my alley. I am a new follower! I will bookmark this, because I probably won't get to it right away, but the Christmas scene sounds like lots of fun, or perhaps several seasonal pillows. :)Thanks again for another great tutorial.

112 jinxxxygirl April 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I just love this! I managed to go around and look at more of your tutorials and i have to tell you , you have some of the best! Very clear and easy to understand. I do wonder , at the end how do you know its time to change to another piece of newspaper??

113 Mrs. Turkey Bird April 5, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Just Gorgeous!!!

I'm definitely going to be sharing this with all my quilting buddies. Thanks for the inspiration!

-Mrs. Turkey: http://www.turkeylists.blogspot.com

114 Meg April 5, 2011 at 3:27 am

That's just…wow…so amazing! And beautiful! I love it so much. What a method you used! You're smart. :)

115 Chandeen @ Designed by Chance April 5, 2011 at 3:26 am

This is great! I love how different it is. I'm having a giveaway at my blog. So if you are interested in joining please stop by.

116 Marianne April 5, 2011 at 3:24 am

Wow, I have never seen anything like this ever before. This would be such cool artwork to have up on the walls even. Love it.
Marianne @ piecesofmymind-marianne.blogspot.com

117 Emily April 5, 2011 at 1:47 am

My mom is an art teacher and taught me this as a kid but I totally forgot about it! your city looks great. domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

118 Jill April 4, 2011 at 11:09 pm

How fabulous! They look great, and it sounds like fun to try too!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

119 gail@myrepurposedlife.net April 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm

incredibly amazing! too much work for me, plus I can't paint worth a hoot. However, I loved the tute and how fabulous your pillows turned out.
gail

120 Saphy April 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I will defiantly give this a try! Thank you so much for sharing.

121 Crafty Girls Workshop April 4, 2011 at 8:46 pm

How very cool! I found you on Amaze me Monday and you did amaze me! I just got back from a surface design retreat and we did all sorts of fun stuff and this is right up that alley. Thanks for sharing all the details! I think I will totally have to try this (someday).

122 mel @ the larson lingo April 4, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Wow!!! very impressive!

123 Stacey April 4, 2011 at 5:59 pm

These are A-mazing! I've had an idea running around in my head for months now making a stained glass style pillow. I was thinking of using fabric markers and fabric scraps but this looks so stunning I may have to scrap the original idea.

124 Libby & Greg April 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm

This is SUPER awesome~!!!! I am going out to get the supplies to try this today!!! I am your newest follower!! Love all your stuff!!

Libby from mondellofam.blogspot.com

125 K. the Littlest Crafter April 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm

This is amazing!

126 Rachel at Sun Scholars April 4, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Beautiful! I love these! Thanks for sharing!

127 Patricia L April 4, 2011 at 11:51 am

This is so very cool! Found you @ CRAFT. I'm going to have to bookmark this for a summer project!

128 Karen T April 4, 2011 at 4:07 am

I remember doing a batik project in high school, but I wasn't as creative as you were. Those turned out beautifully!

129 Rahshell April 3, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I love it!! My mom used to sew with batiks when I was little I have a certain fondness for them in my own sewing :)

130 creativejewishmom/sara April 3, 2011 at 6:33 pm

wow, you never cease to amaze me! I've always loved batik, and love how your project came out…..gotta try it sometime myself. Thanks so very much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, great to have you!

131 Patti April 3, 2011 at 4:50 pm

These are great…well done!

132 Johnnie April 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm

So, I am about to begin the newspaper portion of this venture. I must say that I am not a fan of painting with melted crayons. I guess you never know till you try! I will keep you posted…

Blessings…
Saved By Love Creations

133 Janice April 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I remember making a Batik in my high school art class and have had the urge to do it again in the last year. The mess, time and expense of the dyes and tools have been discouraging me. Your method solves all those problems!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

134 Swati April 3, 2011 at 7:19 am

Gorgeous work! And such a neat idea – now my hands are itching to do this with my kid!

135 By the Bluegrass April 3, 2011 at 3:12 am

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! I'm bookmarking this one for sure. I just love it.
xo,
Sena

136 Suzy April 3, 2011 at 12:33 am

Little Treasures- they wash up fine. I would use a cold water wash simply to preserve the color, but as long as the wax has all been removed, it is just another piece of hand dyed fabric.

137 Kristina April 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm

This is sooo neat! I would love to tray to do this! :)

138 Little Treasures April 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm

This looks fantastic but I have a question. What happens when you wash them?

139 Laura April 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm

That looks incredible! I hope to give it a try someday soon.

Laura@ ComeTogetherKids

140 Pamma April 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Wow, wow, wow….this is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing your very funny tutorial…I was giggling all the way through, we could be twins, except your a bit more talented!

~Pam
pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

141 Jo (@ boogaloo) April 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Amazing, fun and playful. I love this idea! I've wanted to try batik for a while and now I know how! Thanks :)

142 Michelle@Somedaycrafts April 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Such a cool technique to learn! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

143 Threeundertwo April 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm

What a fabulous idea! I still have about a million old crayons from when the kids were little, and I love the look of batik! I'm going to highlight this on my Lit and Laundry facebook page. Thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday!

144 emilysnan April 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm

hiya , i came visiting from catch as catch can and i am so glad i did x i am lovin this site this batik tut , is fab and i will try it out x i am also your newest follower and i will be linky up with you on thursday x oh and i ave your button too (sarge..lol) hope you will visit me too x
xmaggiex

145 Megan April 2, 2011 at 1:34 am

so amazing. what a suspensful post. I wondered how you were going to get that wax out!

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

146 Beth@Wiccan Make Some Too April 1, 2011 at 10:03 pm

These are wickedly cool! I think they would make an awesome house warming gift for me when I get to the new (old) house in PA. I should be there by Wednesday! Let me know if you want the address so you can send them! lol This idea is so on my to do list.

147 Sarah April 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm
148 Lisa Cash April 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Wow – this turned out great! Love the colors. I've been trying to figure out how to melt crayons through a glue gun, but can't get it to work. I never thought of using a paint brush to paint on melt wax – duh! Awesome!

149 Caleen April 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

How fun. Such a talent. Something I have never tried. It turned out beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

150 Naturally Me Creations April 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm

How interesting…and cute pillows! :)

Tnx for linking up this weekend!

151 Shelly April 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Fabulous results! Love, love, love this!

152 Lynne April 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Love the finished result! I don't think I would have the patience that you do. Another great project – and something I've never seen before.

153 " me " April 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm

waw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

154 Johnnie April 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I love it!!! So cool. Bookmarking this. Genius.

Blessings…
Saved By Love Creations

155 Harpa Jónsdóttir April 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm

This looks fabulous! I remember doing this with my first grade class ages ago- we used ink for the dye part I think – and it looked great. The drawing were much simpler that yours of course, but still, it was cute. Thank you for posting this, and bringing this great technique back to me.

156 Carla @ More Than Tuesdays April 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?!! I would never have thought that's y how this was done! Love it! Those colors are amazing. Mmhhhhhh I gotta try this, though I don't know how much patience I'd have for ironing out the wax. I *HATE* ironing!

157 chillin with Quillin April 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm

WOW what amazing work, love it!
Paula

158 Divya N April 1, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Using crayons to do Batik is a cool idea..(ya I understand about the melting part being a headache..)…but I just love the bright colored street houses

159 Lynda April 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I really really really really really like this. Too bad you weren't doing all this when we were doing our craft meetings, he he he

160 angie @ the cellar door stories April 1, 2011 at 12:11 pm

now that is something i've definitely never seen! super cool!!

161 CREATIVE MIND April 1, 2011 at 11:43 am

Its super cute idea..i have done so many batik work during my Textile Designing Degree..i did batik with,different types of wax & glue,but this is unique..love this idea..
if you would like to check my batik work,see here;

Thanks