Feature Friday- Quilled Starry Night

by Susan Myers on July 22, 2011

Starry Night is one of my favorites by Vincent Van Gogh.  I love the colors, and I love the movement and it seemed like a great piece of art to represent through the art of paper quilling.  For this completed project, I ended up using over 10,000 strips of paper!

paper quilled starry night van gogh

ufo unfinished projects challengeThis Feature Friday, I’m going to feature my completed UFO for the month of June.  What?  Yep, I know it’s July.  I’m behind as usual.  But at least I finished something!  I’m the queen of UFO’s (Unfinished Objects), and this year I have challenged myself to complete one UFO per month for the entire year.  So for the month of June, I chose to finish my Quilled Starry Night picture.

paper quilled starry night van gogh

I started with a large sheet of thick cardstock in dark blue as the background.  The sheet is about 36″ x 24″.  (I tend to work big).  And that is most likely one of the reasons I have so many UFO’s!

paper quilled starry night van gogh

I began by drawing the basic outlines in white colored pencil.  I then grabbed my quilling tool, a pile of colored cardstock and my paper cutter and went to work.

paper quilled starry night van gogh

The picture consists of thousands and thousands of quilled pieces of paper, glued down on their sides.  Like painting with paper.

paper crafts quilled starry night closeup
paper crafts quilled starry night closeup 2

I actually enjoyed this project and plan on recreating a few other major artworks in the future.  So there are more UFO’s in the horizon!

seattle space needle puzzle

July’s Project:

I chose several wooden puzzles that I’ve had in storage for quite a while now.  These are 3D puzzles of the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Seattle Space Needle and when I saw them at a local craft store, I just had to buy them.  I believe they were about $5 each and I have a few ideas in mind to make them “my own” if you know what I mean.  I think they will look great displayed in my study.  So while this project isn’t necessarily an “Unfinished Object” as I haven’t even begun it yet, I figure it’s my challenge so I can make up rules as I go along, right?  Ha!

UFO’s completed so far this year:

southwestern quilt wall hanging           needle punch christmas ornaments

knitted socks           teacup quilted wall hanging

knitted purse          quilled starry night
Hand knitted Purse and Quilled Starry Night

suzy_sign

{ 119 comments… read them below or add one }

1 David R May 8, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Would you sell this or make one? I’ll be a buyer! Let me know!

Love it! And my favorite art piece, thank you for sharing your work

2 Susan Myers May 12, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Hi David,

The original Quilled Starry Night sold about a year and a half ago to a woman in Texas. Thank you so much for your kind words! It is my favorite art piece too!

3 MPaula April 16, 2014 at 12:40 am

A labour of love. Quilling seems well suited to impressionism.

4 Anne S April 17, 2013 at 6:32 pm

This is just an awesome picture! I also love Van Gogh’s Starry Night and admire you for the time and effort this must have taken. It looks great!

5 Susan Myers April 24, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Thank you so much, Anne! It was a lot of work, but I just fell in love with the process! I plan on doing another master’s work soon.

6 cty March 15, 2013 at 1:32 am

WOW! And I thought my 2,000 piece puzzle of Starry Night was impressive; it is nothing compared to this. If there I could own any piece of art I desired it would be Starry Night. I want to do this quilling even though I never quilled before. Question: Did you place the long “unquilled pieces in first & then “fill in” with tightly quilled pieces. (sorry if my terminology is wrong). Also it seems you did this quite a while ago– but please reply.

7 Susan Myers March 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Hi Charlene!

Thank you for your kind words! In answer to your question, I worked on it a small section at a time. And yes, I put in unquilled pieces first and worked around them. The project was completed in July of 2011, and sold about 8 months ago to a nice lady in Texas.

I currently have another project of similar nature in the works. I just need about two extra days each week to fit all my projects in! :)

8 Sherry Merryman September 28, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Great pic. I’ve been wanting to do something on my livingroom wall on large scale but I rent. Want a large branch that I can attach birds, butterflies, bird houses, leaves to it and change it for the seasons and holidays. How did you attach Starry Nights to your wall? I was thinking of making the outline of a branch with small nails and wrapping yarn around them for the outline and crisscrossing the yarn to fill it in. Then adding the decorations to the nails or the yarn. Does this sound doable? You have terrific ideas. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Sherry

9 Jennifer July 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Wow, that is gorgeous! Amazing and brilliant, too!

10 Lizzie April 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Suzy, you bring back wonderful memories for me. I’m a Born Artist, going at it for 69 years. That’s right. July 21, 1943. I’ve prob worked with every medium God and man made and I continue to try new ones as I’m still teaching art.
Back in the 70s I created some quilled artwork to decorate our home and I recently found some of my old artwork in my wonderful ole’ Mom’s attic. I designed a 12×16 vertical pic of Indian Summer corn and placed it in a shadow box. You inspired me – think I’ll hang it in my home/studio. Maybe I can even figure out how to send you a pic of it.
Ain’t life fun and grand? Much love to you girlie, many blessings, and lots of smiles……. God loves us all, don’t He :) Ms Lizzie

11 Myths March 30, 2012 at 3:47 am

Wow ! This is just wow ! The BIGGEST and complicated quilling piece I have seen. Wow !

12 CelticRose March 14, 2012 at 12:17 am

Amazing! I tried quilling back in the ’80′s, but never saw anything that made me want to keep doing it. Maybe if I’d seen something like this…

13 Christing February 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I stumbled on your site more or less at random and saw this amazing project. I’m overwhelmed! This is one of my favorite images, and you’ve made it even more beautiful and filled it with even more movement. Fantastic.

14 Jennifer February 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I love it! I has inspired me to create my own as a backdrop in my weddding. One question though, how do you hand this, it being so big? I never quilled before so does it get secured to your background cardstock? I’m worried about the weight when trying to hang it. What do you think?

15 SusanDreams September 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm

have spent most of the morning reading through your blog of tutorials =) everything is wonderful! Thanks for sharing so many great and thrifty ideas!

16 Elaine Shandra September 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

How amazing! For a creative arts project, I made my first quilt using Starry Night.

17 Penny A September 3, 2011 at 2:12 am

WOW — This is simply stunning! I found your blog today (09/02) via RightBrainTerrain.com

Beautiful work — I look forward to tooling around to see what else you have been up to ;-)

18 Marissa August 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm

This is the most awesome-st project i have seen. It is simply mind blowing. Im completely amazed. You have inspired me to take up quilling.

19 Ramya August 27, 2011 at 5:29 am

Oh my God!! This is just mind blowing to say the least!! Great job…. quilling at its best Susan!

20 kimberlyo66 August 25, 2011 at 1:19 am

Wow! That is so, so pretty. Amazing job Susan.

21 Danee August 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow….. you are very quill-anted. I've never been all that impressed with quilling but you certainly elevated it to another level. The faux iron, the faux china, the butterfly, this….. I"m impressed.

22 susy August 8, 2011 at 3:03 am

lavoro stupendo.
complimenti
susanna

23 Becca August 7, 2011 at 12:43 am

I love this! It is amazing and must have taken hours. I also have a Michaels' wood UFO that sat for a couple of months, which I finished this morning. I think it will show up on my blog next Friday or so. Busy crafting bee today! :) Anyway just had to let you know this is GORGEOUS.

24 Katherine Tyrrell August 6, 2011 at 12:52 pm

See comments on http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2011/08/techie-thoughts-on-tumblr.html for how your visuals have travelled rather further than you might be aware.

Amazing work BTW! :)

25 Christelle August 6, 2011 at 6:22 am

It's breathtaking! Your talent and dedication are inspiring.

26 nidhi August 4, 2011 at 11:38 pm

that's simply stunning!

27 HeartFelt 4 Kids August 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Really beautiful!!

28 Natalie West Winningham August 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm

When I saw the words "Quilled" and "Starry Night," I thought: OF COURSE! Clever and so creative (and patient). Beautiful work!

29 Chacha Nation August 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Amazing!!! This is truly talent!! It is inspiring me to get my quilling tools out and start again!!! Thank you!

30 Sugar Art By Tami August 4, 2011 at 9:14 pm

O my word, that is so beautiful! Van Gogh would be flattered!

31 Daneilia @ Anchors Away August 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

This is just Amazing! This is my fave piece from Van Gogh and you made it so uniquely…gorgeous.

32 Tiff August 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm

WOW! that had to take weeks to make. It's beautiful!

33 Allie August 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Whoa. I just saw this featured on House of Hepworths. This is crazy awesome. Incredible. Great job.

34 Allison @ House of Hepworths August 4, 2011 at 5:20 am

You've been featured!

Check out your feature at my weekly Hookin Up with HoH Link Party!

Feel free to stop by and grab a button if you'd like.

xoxo

Allison @ House of Hepworths

35 Jess August 3, 2011 at 8:27 pm

This is beyond beautiful! Van Gogh's work lends itself beautifully to that technique!

36 Tracey Lipman August 3, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I saw this post when you first put it up and was blown away. This piece is amazing. Thought I'd share with you that you ended up on the British Daily Telegraph website on pictures of the day.
Hope the link works so you can see it. Its a pity they didn't link to your blog. They mentioned your name and you got two pictures! Way to go gal.
Tracey

37 Rachel August 2, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Super amazing! Such an inspiration for a complete novice quiller! Looking forward to seeing your next project! x

38 gordy August 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Sooooo amazing! You are Qilling van Gogh ;) Beautiful!

39 Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy August 2, 2011 at 4:10 am

Holy freaking AMAZING! I can't get over it. I'm featuring this tonight on Topsy Turvy Tuesday's! Thanks for linking up yet again! Just AMAZING!

40 Andrea August 2, 2011 at 1:42 am

Amazing!! Really, I absolutely LOVE it! Is it for sale? If so, how much? Seriously, I love it!

41 Inna (Crafts, Kids, Quilling) July 31, 2011 at 6:41 am

Wow! Your Quilled Starry Night just amazing!

42 Lindsey July 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Saw this posted somewhere else–it looks so cool! Great job!

43 Jeannie July 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Wow, I had one of those klutz craft books when I was a kid about 'paper rolling' I had no idea it was called quilling! This work is INCREDIBLE and is like you said, perfect to render into a quilling masterpiece! Honestly I'm so impressed, I remember as a child being amazed at my mom making a peacock out of quilling, but this is on a whole other level. I might have to try quilling for my next art assignment, you've just inspired me!

Oh btw, I saw this on the Daily What! :D

44 {nifty thrifty things} July 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Wow! This really looks amazing!!
Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!! I would love it if you joined me again tomorrow! :)
xoxo,
Vanessa

45 Molly Smith July 30, 2011 at 3:25 am

Wow, this is gorgeous and so much detail involved. Thanks for sharing! I'd like to link this to my blog on Aug 1. Stunning detail.

46 Snuggly Monkey mama July 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm

This is beyond amazing! I've just added it to my pinterest board – LOVE IT!

47 Davi July 29, 2011 at 3:27 am

Wow saw this on Make it Monday had to come see what it was! AMAZING creation…Ive never seen someone use quilling like this it is Wonderful!!

48 Claudia July 29, 2011 at 3:07 am

This is one of my favorite works. You are truly talented!

49 Nicole@Thrifty Decorating July 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Thanks for linking, Suzy! :)

50 aquariann July 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Wow! *stare*

51 Michelle@Somedaycrafts July 28, 2011 at 6:20 am

Amazing. I featured this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

52 Catherine July 28, 2011 at 4:57 am

Ok, usually I don't use too many acronyms beyond lol but OMFG!!! You are nuts lady! But an awesomely incredibly well done job. I am in awe!

53 Lesley Paige July 27, 2011 at 8:32 pm

This is so awesome! You have some incredible skills (and patience)! Thanks for sharing!

Lesley

craftingismytherapy.blogspot.com

54 Jenna July 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Oh.My.Gosh. This is FANTASTIC! I love quilling, but have yet to tackle a major project like this. I'm in awe of your mad skillz and patience. Wow, just WOW!

2027

55 Sandy July 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Wow, fantastic example of quilling, a wondrous creation, love the colours. I saw it on Make It Monday and came for a closer look,
Sandy

56 Ann July 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm

You are one dedicated quiller, Suzy – well done!

57 Jamie July 27, 2011 at 10:42 am

This is absolutely stunning and amazing!

58 Fot July 27, 2011 at 6:42 am

WOW, This must have taken you forever, I love the quiling! holy moley im speachless. Thank-you for sharing your creative talent with us.~ADORABLE my friend ,I'm peeking in from the " Make It Monday" blog :-)
scrappingmamma ~

59 Mel the Crafty Scientist July 27, 2011 at 2:09 am

This is absolutely unbelievably amazing! I seriously cannot believe you made this… and without some magical machine or crew of elves… just wow!!! It's truly gorgeous! : )

60 Mindie Hilton July 26, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Featuring this on Friday, thanks for linking up at Bacon Time.

61 SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime July 26, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I'm so honored that you chose to join the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Thank you for adding this special masterpiece to rock my party :)

62 Mary J July 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Wowee! You must be one very patient person! Amazing work!

Thx for linking it up to the Make it Monday party!

Mary J x

63 Rochelle @Home Sweet Homebodies July 26, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Oh. My. Wow! That is amazing! Way to go.

64 anne July 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm

OMG… This is amazing.. I saw the a small pic on Make It Monday, thinking it looked like 'starry night' and had to come see the bigger picture.. and wow. I am glad I did. You must have a lot of patience to make such a pic with the paper quilling technique.. thanks for sharing it..

65 Cherished Bliss July 26, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Wow! This is beautiful! Thanks for linking up this week!

66 Sam July 26, 2011 at 11:41 am

That is amazing and so beautiful!

67 Jaimee July 26, 2011 at 1:37 am

This is absolutely STUNNING! I have a framed print of Starry Night. It's one of my favorites, too. I LOVE your creative version! Makes me want to quill up some famous paintings, too : ) GOOD WORK! I'm sharing this on my crafty facebook page.
Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

68 shopannies July 26, 2011 at 1:20 am

love that quilt very fanciful

69 Christine July 26, 2011 at 12:05 am

Wow, you were so brave to even begin that project! It turned out beautifully.

70 Jill July 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Oh my goodness Suzy that picture is just incredible! Well done for finishing it! I'm gobsmacked! So much detail, so much time – and unbelievable result!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

71 creativejewishmom/sara July 25, 2011 at 8:37 pm

You are just something else! who would have thought, well you, that's right! amazing piece and so glad you finished it in order to share with the rest of us whose jaws are dropping open wide! and thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday!

72 mamapez5 July 25, 2011 at 7:57 pm

That's an amazing piece of work. You must be so pleased with it. The colours are superb and you certainly have captured the movement. It's just great, and who cares if it is a month late. It's your project and you took your time to get it how you want it. Beautiful.
I like the idea of UFOs. You might see me over at the Flicker pool sometime soon. Kate x

73 Carmella July 25, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Thanks so much for sharing with Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop, I am co-hosting this week and I am so happy I found you there!
This project just blows my mind…so pretty!

creativecarmella.blogspot.com

74 Dr Sonia S V July 25, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Dropped in seeing your card on Make it Monday. It is simply amazing!

Cheers from Bangalore ,India
Dr Sonia S V

75 Lisa Jane July 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm

oh wow this is absolutely stunning – a real work of art and must have taken so much patience ..
Just amazing
Thanks for joining us at Make it Monday this week
Lisa x

76 acreativeneed July 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm

WOW!! I saw this on Make it Monday and was really intrigued! I came in for a closer look and I'm blown away! This is fabulous art!
smiles,Deena

77 the cape on the corner July 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm

that is amazing. absolutely amazing! coming over from the answer is chocolate's feature!

78 Dana July 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Hi – I saw your project on Make it Monday and all I can say is WOW! Your quilling is totally incredible!

79 Just Jaime July 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Beautiful!

80 Eemeli July 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Crazy! That would take me ages to make :) Saw this on Make It Monday and had to come and check it out. Totally love it (and blue is my fav color so this really rocks ^^)
Hugs from Finland, Eemeli

81 Birgit July 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm

OK-Amazing!!! I love this Van Gogh painting as well and you really captured it. Even if you work on big areas you love fine details and the patience needed to construct this is clearly evident as well as your joy you get out of creating such beautiful work. Impressive!

82 Jenn Erickson July 25, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Suzy, I am positively floored by your Starry Night — Phenomenal!!

83 Shirley-anne July 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I can only say DITTO….
Wonderful project to share on Make it Monday .

84 The Answer Is Chocolate July 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I just had to feature this as part of my Open House Wrap Up today!

85 Michelle July 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Hi Suzy

Oh WOW!! This is absolutely amazing!! You are so creative and talented. This must have taken ages to complete.

Thank you for sharing with us at Make It Monday this week.

Michelle :o)

86 JHill July 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Yeah, this is AMAZING! I am seriously wowwed. Featuring you on the Mad in Crafts facebook page. Thanks so much for linking up!

87 Connie July 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Wow! That is wonderful! I've never seen quilling with that much detail, great work.

88 Renata July 24, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Wow, the quilling is amazing. I think it's fair that you took more than a month to complete that one. I keep telling myself that I need to finish more projects before I start new ones, but I can't resist especially when I come across blogs like yours :-)
But one UFO a month seems doable. (BTW, I think the UFO abbreviation is so perfect, lol!)

89 Ethnic Girl Fun July 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm

This is so pretty!

90 Brooke July 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Wow. My jaw is dropping! That's an amazing piece of artwork!

91 Mindie Hilton July 24, 2011 at 2:29 pm

This is amazing, don't know if you linked it yet to Bacon Time but if you do, will feature for sure. You are so tallented. Having two little boys at home, not sure if I could complete something so cool. Wow again, beautiful.

92 SUGANTHI July 24, 2011 at 6:05 am

This looks so amazing.

93 Staci July 24, 2011 at 12:58 am

That's awesome!

94 Good Girl Gone Green July 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm

You made that? I can't believe that! That is amazing….you have some talent!

95 Maggie July 23, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Suzy
I'm beyond speechless on how you recreated this famous work using quilling.
I commend you on using all those pieces of paper to create a work of love.
I'm inviting you to add this to our linking party at
Have a great weekend,
Maggie

96 Joni Nickrent July 23, 2011 at 3:25 pm

WOW! Absolutely Amazing! You are a artsy, craftsy, sitcom ROCK STAR!

97 The Answer Is Chocolate July 23, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Oh. My. Gosh!! You are AMAZING! I adore Starry Night but Van Gogh himself would have to agree this beats the original!

98 dollystar July 23, 2011 at 11:19 am

Show!
Incrivelmente maravilhoso e diferente de tudo quanto já vi…é preciso muita determinação e paciência para alcançar esse resultado
Dolly

99 Mαρία July 23, 2011 at 7:39 am

It's fantastic!

100 Jill July 22, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Wow! That's amazing!!! Beautiful work.
–Jill
JillMadeIt.blogspot.com

101 Saraccino July 22, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Awesome and beautiful! :)

102 Maja July 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm

wooooooooooooooowwwww… I am speechless :)

103 Lynda July 22, 2011 at 7:06 pm

OMG!!!!!! I can't wait to see that up close. wowee wow wow wow!!!!!!!!

104 Delaney July 22, 2011 at 6:43 pm

This is way cool!

105 RhettDidntGiveADamn July 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Oh, I'm blown away! Nice work.

106 CREATIVE MIND July 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Lovely..So much fun with paper quilling..love it :)

107 Jane July 22, 2011 at 4:01 pm

This is absolutely mindblowing, Suzy!! You have commendable patience!

108 Michelle@Somedaycrafts July 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Pure amazement! I like yours better than the real thing.

109 Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers July 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Better late then never, especially with this piece! It's gorgeous!!! You did an amazing job.

110 Kathy of KZ Embroidery July 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm

My favorite picture done in my favorite craft! WOW!!

111 Whimsy-ma-blog July 22, 2011 at 1:16 pm

ok, so I say this every time you post, but wow! That is so great! I love it!

And how did I miss your May UFO? It's adorable! My craft room is busting at the seams with UFO's. I really need to complete some too!

112 Corey July 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Your quilling is absolutely incredible

113 Ειρηνη Σ July 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm

wow!!!fantastic!!!!!

114 Lynne July 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm

When we saw this partially done, I knew it would be incredible – but holy cow!! I think that may be one of the best things you've done! It came out absolutely perfect!!

115 Deborah March July 22, 2011 at 12:43 pm

WOW!!! Jaw droppingly GORGEOUS!!!

116 chillin with Quillin July 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Wow,love it, alot of work put into it!!!!
Paula

117 Katy Cameron July 22, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Oh wow, that is stunning! So glad you finished it and shared :o)

118 " me " July 22, 2011 at 11:45 am

WAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am really impressed by that !!!! So beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

119 Laina @ Vibrant Serenity July 22, 2011 at 11:06 am

That is amazing! I am swooning over it!