Make a Cool “Envelope” Dog Bed!

by Susan Myers on March 15, 2013

Dog beds are quite popular in my house.  I have two little dogs, Faith and Ralph, who both enjoy not only the comfort of their own dog bed, but both have a thing about wanting to be under blankets.  Over a year ago, my daughter made an “envelope” style dog bed for Ralph that has both a blanket and a pillow attached.  He absolutely loves that bed.

envelope diy dog bed

Over a year later, that bed is still in great shape, and because of the way she made the seams, it is still in one piece.  Which is a major accomplishment for anything stuffed in my house.  Unfortunately, though, Ralph does not like to share it.  So poor Faith has been having to fend for herself over the last year.  My daughter has decided to remedy that, and made a pink one for Faith this week.  Want to know how to make one?

For this project we used:

3 Yards of heavy fleece
Poly-Fil Pillow Stuffing
Sewing Machine

dog bed tutorial and patterndog bed tutorial and pattern

Begin by cutting the fleece into three pieces.  You can make your dog bed any size you would like.  We made our bed big enough for both dogs if they choose to share.  For our bed, we cut (2 ea). 39″ x 28″ pieces, and (1 ea). 30″ x 28″ piece.  Fold the top edge of the smaller piece over 1″ on the top and sew a seam, creating a finished edge.

dog bed tutorial and pattern

With right sides together, place the shorter piece over top of one of the bigger pieces and sew a 1/2″ seam around the sides and bottom.  Clip the corners, and turn the entire piece right-side-out.  You now have a pocket.

dog bed tutorial and patterndog bed tutorial and pattern

Of course, my daughter’s dog, Bam Bam had to get in on the action.  Always jealous!  We told him pink was so not his color!

dog bed tutorial and pattern

For the next step, cut the leftover large piece down a bit to match the size of the sewn together pieces.

dog bed tutorial and pattern

With right sides together, place the pocket piece over top of the back piece and sew a 1/2″ seam around the entire perimeter, leaving about 6″ unsewn so that you can add the poly-fil.  Now, flip it right side-out using the open section of seam.  Stuff with poly-fil, and machine stitch your seam closed.  (We do machine stitch here even though a blind hand stitch would probably look better, but a machine stitch is much more dog proof).

dog bed tutorial and pattern

And looky here!  Faith loves her new dog bed!

dog bed tutorial and pattern

Hey, that’s not Faith!  Ralph, you already have a bed!

Well, at least the beds are well loved, right?

handpainted pet bandana

Want to make a cute Hand Painted Pet Bandana to go along with your doggie bed?  Check out this tutorial from Crafts by Amanda!

suzy_sign

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

1 caroline August 9, 2014 at 6:58 am

I too have a Chihuahua, and they definitely like to be covered up like all the time.
My little girl immediately confiscated a new body pillow I brought home, so I bought a fleece pillow case for it and I keep it in the middle of the bed, half is above the covers the other half below.
When it is time for her to go to bed she burrows under the blankets and lays on the pillow. During the day time she plops out and up to the pillow area of the bed where she can see and hear everything going on in the house! while she naps on top of her pillow, snuggled up to her stuffed doggy, both are covered with a light weight fleece baby blanket. (this, she will explain is the official guard tower for all good watch dogs! She has a similar spot in a box in the back seat of the car!)

But it does not matter, day or night, in or out of the blankets, while she sleeps (and I move around) she squiggles and slides, and squirms,and slips until she is settled in spots that I have to disturb her in order to move her! like up against my legs, or behind my pillow, which means if I move she can get squished.

This envelope idea is fantastic, because she would not be able to squiggle or slide into positions where she could get squished! I am playing with the idea of simply adding pockets to both ends of her body pillow’s fleece case one to encase her under the covers, the other for her day spot!! That way when I wash the bedding I could also wash her envelope pillow case!!

MY BITTER BUG AND I BOTH THANK YOU FOR THE CLEAVOR IDEA!!

2 Tara August 3, 2014 at 3:41 pm

So cool!! It looks so comfortable. I may make one for myself lol

I mentioned this tutorial in one of my blog posts: http://ourgentlegiants.com/diy-dog-bed-extra-large-dogs/

Thanks for the inspiration!

3 Susan Myers August 10, 2014 at 11:18 am

Thank you so much for the share! You have a great website! If you decide to make the dog bed, would love to know how your dog loves it!

4 Niki March 28, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Wow! I was trying to make something similar to this a month ago! Of course my little guy won’t use what I had made so it’s in the scrap pile now. I have a Maltese who has to be wearing a shirt and/or be covered up with one specific blankie (although he has many). But since he has been on meds for his heart he has to get up throughout the night to get a drink and I’m asleep and cannot cover him up again.
He will love this…and he loves fleece!
Thank you.

5 nancy March 1, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Want your dog to really love the new bed? Buy a new bed pillow for yourself and use the old one in the new bed for the dog. (You may have to stop and figure this out before you stuff it with polyfil) Your scent all over the new bed will make your darling think she’s up in the bed with you. Sweet dreams! Nancy

6 Susan Myers March 6, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Great idea! Come to think of it, my dogs really love my pillow! LOL!

7 Karen February 23, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Love – love this idea. Made up a smaller one REAL quick today for my 7-pound Yorkie-poo. He jumped right in. Now, I’ll just have to keep the cat away. She always steals his beds — and he lets her. Well, I like to say that he’s OK with letting her share. Thank you for the great idea!

8 Susan Myers February 26, 2014 at 4:59 pm

LOVE this! Would love to see a photo of your little dog in his bed! And you need to make one for the cat now too! LOL!

9 Kirsten January 26, 2014 at 5:27 pm

This looks amazing! I know a pup who is going to love this. Can I ask how much Polyfil you used to stuff the bed?

10 Jenn January 24, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Just made this bed. Super easy! Also made one slightly smaller. My Chihuahua Valentine was sitting on it as I stitched closed. Will make many I’m sure. Thanks for the pattern.

11 Wendy Bowers April 23, 2013 at 12:34 am

Love your blog, very entertaining! Love this pattern, great idea! Love Bam Bam, (sorry) sooooo cute.

12 Happier Than A Pig in Mud March 17, 2013 at 5:32 am

Some how I had a feeling Ralph would want both of the them! Too cute:@)

13 Hilary March 16, 2013 at 10:58 am

So adorable, although I don’t see my giant dogs being that cute in them!! Super creative!

14 jet March 16, 2013 at 8:04 am

this will be a great idea for cats as well. My cats love to hide under all kinds of fabric.
Only my Birmilla not, she has a thicker normally fur then the birmees ones.
but she love to hide to jump to attack the others.
so i think i will try this out i think.
thank you for the sharing and the tute -D

15 brandi March 15, 2013 at 7:14 pm

All chihuahuas love them some blankies. This is great. My Bug will love this!