Make a Cool “Envelope” Dog Bed!

Dog beds are quite popular in my house.  I have two little dogs, Faith and Ralph, who both enjoy not only the comfort of their own dog bed, but both have a thing about wanting to be under blankets.  Over a year ago, my daughter made an “envelope” style dog bed for Ralph that has both a blanket and a pillow attached.  He absolutely loves that bed.

envelope diy dog bed

Over a year later, that bed is still in great shape, and because of the way she made the seams, it is still in one piece.  Which is a major accomplishment for anything stuffed in my house.  Unfortunately, though, Ralph does not like to share it.  So poor Faith has been having to fend for herself over the last year.  My daughter has decided to remedy that, and made a pink one for Faith this week.  Want to know how to make one?

For this project we used:

3 Yards of heavy fleece
Poly-Fil Pillow Stuffing
Sewing Machine

dog bed tutorial and patterndog bed tutorial and pattern

Begin by cutting the fleece into three pieces.  You can make your dog bed any size you would like.  We made our bed big enough for both dogs if they choose to share.  For our bed, we cut (2 ea). 39″ x 28″ pieces, and (1 ea). 30″ x 28″ piece.  Fold the top edge of the smaller piece over 1″ on the top and sew a seam, creating a finished edge.

dog bed tutorial and pattern

With right sides together, place the shorter piece over top of one of the bigger pieces and sew a 1/2″ seam around the sides and bottom.  Clip the corners, and turn the entire piece right-side-out.  You now have a pocket.

dog bed tutorial and pattern

dog bed tutorial and pattern

Of course, my daughter’s dog, Bam Bam had to get in on the action.  Always jealous!  We told him pink was so not his color!

dog bed tutorial and pattern

For the next step, cut the leftover large piece down a bit to match the size of the sewn together pieces.

dog bed tutorial and pattern

With right sides together, place the pocket piece over top of the back piece and sew a 1/2″ seam around the entire perimeter, leaving about 6″ unsewn so that you can add the poly-fil.  Now, flip it right side-out using the open section of seam.  Stuff with poly-fil, and machine stitch your seam closed.  (We do machine stitch here even though a blind hand stitch would probably look better, but a machine stitch is much more dog proof).

dog bed tutorial and pattern

And looky here!  Faith loves her new dog bed!

dog bed tutorial and pattern

Hey, that’s not Faith!  Ralph, you already have a bed!

Well, at least the beds are well loved, right?

For more pet craft ideas from the Sitcom check out this link! Pet Crafts and Tips

handpainted pet bandana

Want to make a cute Hand Painted Pet Bandana to go along with your doggie bed?  Check out this tutorial from Crafts by Amanda!

For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Anonymous August 29, 2016, 12:48 pm

You can use an old blanket too.

• Norma Griff May 14, 2016, 2:31 pm

I just joined and Suzy, can you tell me how to print the patterns off, as there is no symbol to do so? I printed the whole site just to get the Envelope Dog Bed Pattern. I am excited about making it. It printed all 28 pages to just get the 5 I needed. Thank you.

• Susan Myers May 14, 2016, 3:30 pm

Hi Norma!

I’m so sorry that you had problems printing out the Dog Bed Pattern. I have not converted that particular pattern to printable form yet. I am slowly working my way through the website, creating printable documents and just haven’t gotten to that one yet. I will make sure to add it to my list for this week.

Would love to see what you come up with! My dogs love theirs!

• Nancy January 6, 2016, 3:58 pm

Have made a couple of these in the past and my mini daschunds love to sleep in them. They will sleep in them even in the summer. I just recycled one of my old pillows that needed replacing anyway and put snaps one end so I can remove the cover for laundering and it works like a charm.

• Susan Myers January 7, 2016, 10:09 pm

Recycling your old pillow is a great idea! So glad your daschunds are enjoying their beds!

• Heather December 16, 2015, 9:38 pm

I can sew a button, but that’s about it. I was thinking this might work using the no sew tie or braid method and use 2 layers for pillow part and ¾ of a layer for the top envelope/top sheet. I might try it. I have 2 bostons and they are too “sophisticated” to sleep anywhere but in a lap or under covers. 🙂

• Susan Myers December 16, 2015, 10:37 pm

Hi Heather!
      Well it is certainly worth a try! If it works out, I’d love to see what you come up with! Glad to know that my dogs aren’t the only ones that feel the need for both a blanket and pillow!

• Cena December 9, 2015, 4:26 pm

I wonder if using a regular pillow instead of the poly-fil would work – maybe replace mine and give them my old pillow (because it smells like me)? My dogs always jump on the bed and sleep on MY pillows and one loves to burrow.

• Susan Myers December 10, 2015, 9:29 am

Hi Cena!

Yes, I think that is a wonderful idea! I reuse old pillows all the time.

• Jo C September 19, 2015, 8:14 pm

I have the ultimate blanket bed making dog, a Min Pin, Emma. Dachshund are just as bad, along with most all short haired doggies. I want to know if the pillow is stuffed also?

• Sandra July 19, 2015, 2:07 pm

Made one of these for grand-dog but stuffed mine with a pillow. I made the back similar to a “sham” for easy removal of pillow.
    Thinking outside the box here, I think I am going to make one of these for my 3 yr old prayer buddy at church. I think she would love to lay around in one and watch TV. Her own personal size sleeping bag. Sort of.

• Pamela Smith July 2, 2015, 4:56 pm

Love this! My little Chihuahua mix lays on her pillow in the hallway so she can monitor everything that happens in the house! She loves to snuggle too. I am pinning this to make for her. Thanks!

• Anonymous June 28, 2015, 11:11 pm

Thank you for this great idea! I’m going to make one for my two kitty boys. They love to snuggle on my fleece blanket so I’m sure they will love this.

• Janet June 19, 2015, 2:46 pm

hi, I am sure I am over thinking this but….when I lie the right side of the back to the right side of the pocket”……I am treating the previously seamed pocket and front as though it was also a raw edge? Clear as mud right ? Lol

• Felicia February 7, 2015, 10:44 am

Aww these are adorable. I think my cat would like these too!

Felicia | Beloved Style

• Emily @ Simple Life Of A Fire Wife February 4, 2015, 6:08 pm

So cute! And love those sweet little faces!! Thanks for sharing on Inspire Me Mondays 🙂

• Kristina and Millie February 2, 2015, 7:07 pm

Love these bed and I bet my chug Macy will love having one of these beds!

• Heather Grow January 31, 2015, 11:30 pm

I think that this would work well with our chiwienie. That girl is always snuggling under someone’s blanket.

• caroline August 9, 2014, 6:58 am

I too have a Chihuahua, and they definitely like to be covered up like all the time.
    My little girl immediately confiscated a new body pillow I brought home, so I bought a fleece pillow case for it and I keep it in the middle of the bed, half is above the covers the other half below.
    When it is time for her to go to bed she burrows under the blankets and lays on the pillow. During the day time she plops out and up to the pillow area of the bed where she can see and hear everything going on in the house! while she naps on top of her pillow, snuggled up to her stuffed doggy, both are covered with a light weight fleece baby blanket. (this, she will explain is the official guard tower for all good watch dogs! She has a similar spot in a box in the back seat of the car!)

But it does not matter, day or night, in or out of the blankets, while she sleeps (and I move around) she squiggles and slides, and squirms,and slips until she is settled in spots that I have to disturb her in order to move her! like up against my legs, or behind my pillow, which means if I move she can get squished.

This envelope idea is fantastic, because she would not be able to squiggle or slide into positions where she could get squished! I am playing with the idea of simply adding pockets to both ends of her body pillow’s fleece case one to encase her under the covers, the other for her day spot!! That way when I wash the bedding I could also wash her envelope pillow case!!

• Tara August 3, 2014, 3:41 pm

So cool!! It looks so comfortable. I may make one for myself lol

I mentioned this tutorial in one of my blog posts:

Thanks for the inspiration!

• Susan Myers August 10, 2014, 11:18 am

Thank you so much for the share! You have a great website! If you decide to make the dog bed, would love to know how your dog loves it!

• Niki March 28, 2014, 5:50 pm

Wow! I was trying to make something similar to this a month ago! Of course my little guy won’t use what I had made so it’s in the scrap pile now. I have a Maltese who has to be wearing a shirt and/or be covered up with one specific blankie (although he has many). But since he has been on meds for his heart he has to get up throughout the night to get a drink and I’m asleep and cannot cover him up again.
    He will love this…and he loves fleece!
    Thank you.

• nancy March 1, 2014, 5:54 pm

Want your dog to really love the new bed? Buy a new bed pillow for yourself and use the old one in the new bed for the dog. (You may have to stop and figure this out before you stuff it with polyfil) Your scent all over the new bed will make your darling think she’s up in the bed with you. Sweet dreams! Nancy

• Susan Myers March 6, 2014, 9:30 pm

Great idea! Come to think of it, my dogs really love my pillow! LOL!

• Karen February 23, 2014, 9:45 pm

Love – love this idea. Made up a smaller one REAL quick today for my 7-pound Yorkie-poo. He jumped right in. Now, I’ll just have to keep the cat away. She always steals his beds — and he lets her. Well, I like to say that he’s OK with letting her share. Thank you for the great idea!

• Susan Myers February 26, 2014, 4:59 pm

LOVE this! Would love to see a photo of your little dog in his bed! And you need to make one for the cat now too! LOL!

• Kirsten January 26, 2014, 5:27 pm

This looks amazing! I know a pup who is going to love this. Can I ask how much Polyfil you used to stuff the bed?

• Jenn January 24, 2014, 9:25 pm

Just made this bed. Super easy! Also made one slightly smaller. My Chihuahua Valentine was sitting on it as I stitched closed. Will make many I’m sure. Thanks for the pattern.

• Wendy Bowers April 23, 2013, 12:34 am

Love your blog, very entertaining! Love this pattern, great idea! Love Bam Bam, (sorry) sooooo cute.

• Happier Than A Pig in Mud March 17, 2013, 5:32 am

Some how I had a feeling Ralph would want both of the them! Too cute:@)

• Hilary March 16, 2013, 10:58 am

So adorable, although I don’t see my giant dogs being that cute in them!! Super creative!

• jet March 16, 2013, 8:04 am

this will be a great idea for cats as well. My cats love to hide under all kinds of fabric.
    Only my Birmilla not, she has a thicker normally fur then the birmees ones.
    but she love to hide to jump to attack the others.
    so i think i will try this out i think.
    thank you for the sharing and the tute -D

• brandi March 15, 2013, 7:14 pm

All chihuahuas love them some blankies. This is great. My Bug will love this!