Wax Covered Pine Cones DIY- perfect for gift giving!

how to make wax covered pine cones

At some point, your wax will get too cool to coat them properly. Just reheat the wax and repeat. Being the crazy thrifty person I am, I actually scraped up all the cooled puddles of wax from the wax paper and reheated them in order to get as much as I could out of each box of wax.

how to make wax covered pine cones

Repeat this process for each color. Be sure to clean all your utensils carefully between each color change so as not to contaminate your new color.

how to make wax covered pine cones

Remember that wax down the drain is not a good thing. In order to clean the utensils, I scraped as much as I could into the trash and then used hot water for any tiny bits left over.

Sitcom 2 step option

how to make wax covered pine cones

The baskets, kitchen towels and artificial greenery were all purchased from the Dollar Store. I lined the baskets with the towels and then placed the pinecones in along with the greenery for decoration. I finished the basket by tying a wired ribbon bow to the handle along with a few sprigs of artificial greenery.

how to make wax covered pine cones

For gift giving, you can purchase clear bags to put your baskets in (also at the Dollar store) and tie with a bow. This makes an awesome gift. Suggestions for variations would include adding a scent to the wax or placing cinnamon sticks in the basket along with the pinecones.

how to make wax covered pine cones

Since money is tight this year, this will most likely be my “go to” gift for friends and relatives.  Even if they don’t own a fireplace, it makes a beautiful tabletop decoration.

back page

For over 100 more tutorials and recipes for all ages, be sure to visit my Tutorial Page!

suzy_sign

Pages: 1 2

• Barbee June 19, 2017, 12:26 pm

I had a suggestion on melting the wax. I have one of those heated holders where you put in a jarred candle and it melts the wax. I think that might work and it keeps the wax warm.

• Karen June 18, 2017, 10:56 pm

I’ve made these with Soy wax. It is much easier to clean up than paraffin wax. I also use color chips for candles and fragrance. After you dip them you can use a wire rack over the wax paper. What drips off can be remelted.

• jobella June 18, 2017, 7:09 pm

I vaguely remember creating different “colors” for fireplace logs by sprinkling cones with with possibly salt substitute and other kitchen staples. Can anyone confirm or add details? Maybe to dip the pine cones in before the wax sets?

• Kaye Jones June 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

This is great! My friend melts down old candles. It gives a nice mix of color and adds a slight fragrance! Bags of these are a nice gift idea!🙏

• Pat Mahlman June 18, 2017, 9:06 am

Great idea. Planning on doing this with non-holiday colors and flowers for a year around decorated basket. I have southwest decor or am planning on blue and peach as main colors with silk with flowers. Will do a basket for my daughter in the colors of her livingroom.

• Cat Lover January 6, 2017, 1:09 pm

Suggestion: Check yard sales and second hand stores for Easter Baskets for gift baskets for the pine cones. CAUTION:if setting container of cones near fire place, be sure it is where no Sparks are able to pop in it. A used
    gallon jug would be a pretty container filled with the cones also.

• Deb January 6, 2017, 10:32 am

Who offers the best price on the paraffin wax? Love the project.

• Susan Myers January 14, 2017, 12:52 am

Hi!

I usually find my wax at the best price at Walmart or my local grocery store. You can find it in the canning section.

• Catherine Halliday November 17, 2016, 7:31 am

Hi, love these pine cone, already have the wax looking forward trying colour, I am going to make a wreath for my MUM and DADS grave for Christmas, red and white will look lovely with a sprinkle of glitter.

Thank for your tutorial.

• Cathy Chesser October 14, 2016, 8:02 pm

I’m wasn’t so thrifty minded when I was younger. I made the beautiful wax pinecones as Christmas Gifts once when I was younger but thought them costly to make because I bought the red, green, silver, gold and white pretty Christmas candles and melted them down for the colorful pinecones. I still have a basket of them from 20 year’s ago. I’ve since learned about dollar store finds and how to be more budget crafty. Thanks for sharing. I think it’s time to update my pinecone collection and now I know how to make them affordable <3

• Beth Bower November 6, 2016, 12:51 pm

I’ve been saving the ends of candles and other candles that I haven’t used. Now I have a very big container of wax to use for gifts!

• Thelma Cooper September 19, 2016, 8:30 pm

I received some of these from my daughter a few years ago and loved displaying them by the fireplace for quite a while. I no longer have a fireplace, but may make them for friends that do. Thank you!

• Christine February 4, 2016, 11:56 am

This is so much fun to do. I save old candle remnants and dip my cones in this. It gives color and scent and is a great way to use the last bits of old candles.

• renee August 3, 2013, 9:58 pm

could you add essential oils to the waxed pinecones and could you use food coloring to color them with instead of crayons?

LOVE LOVE your tutorials

• Susan Myers August 6, 2013, 9:33 pm

Hi Renee,

Yes, you can definitely add essential oils to the wax. That would be awesome! I haven’t tried food color for color, but if you do, let me know how it comes out!

• cathy almon January 6, 2017, 2:17 pm

Food coloring does not work.

• Mariana July 30, 2013, 11:20 am

Wow!, I like, I like! I clean my wax utensils by putting it in a tin or something old and cover it totally with boiling water, let it cool and the wax will form a layer on top. Then you can take it off and put it away for future use.

• Jean January 22, 2013, 7:26 pm

It’s after Christmas now. Just found this site. Very nice. I made these pinecones but added glitter. When they were burned in a fireplace, the snap, crackle and pops gave a wonderful colorful sparks.

• jet December 12, 2012, 10:08 am

wooow i love the pretty look of the waxed dipped pincones.
    this is not only a smart gift for firestarters, but they are so pretty .
    i think this is a great idea for using for other things as well.
    thank you for the sharing and the great tute.
    love it.

• Lis December 3, 2012, 11:50 pm

This is a great gift idea for those on a budget. I’d like to try but have a question… is any sort of wick required? Also, can old candle wax be used? You know, all the remnants in the bottom of candle jars?

L

• Anonymous August 3, 2013, 9:01 pm

I would assume it could. It would be an easy way to add scent, if it was a scented candle!

• Anonymous December 12, 2015, 9:29 am

old wax is fine
      no wick ..probably put a bit of paper under the cones and light the paper to start the fire

• Katie December 20, 2011, 9:59 pm

Wow this is super creative!

• Crystal December 15, 2010, 3:42 am

These are so pretty. I am going to be on the look out for pine cones. I love the different colors.

• Jaimee November 20, 2010, 10:40 pm

Love this!! I have been collecting pinecones from my backyard with the sole purpose of trying to make firestarters for neighbors as a Christmas gift. Your tutorial is great. Love the way you packaged them up, too. Good job!

• Blue Ridge Altered Art November 18, 2010, 2:58 pm

Thanks for sharing. When my children were young(back in the 1970's) and money was very limited I made these firestarter cones and the icy candles for gifts. They were a big hit. I will have to make the time to do some this year. ~~Sherry~~

• Robin November 18, 2010, 12:31 pm

How WONDERFUL! You made it look doable!
    I'd so live it if you'd drop over and link this post to my All Things Merry & Brite Blog Linky!
    xo
    Robin
    All Things Heart and HOme

• Suzy November 18, 2010, 1:12 am

Hi Brandy!

For instructions, I would put: To use as a fire starter place the pine cone on top of the kindling and light the edge of one of the scales.

• Heather November 17, 2010, 10:13 pm

Great tutorial. I've heard of making these but never have, you make it look easy. Thanks for sharing!

• Brandy November 17, 2010, 9:38 pm

Ok so I would want to include instructions… We don't have a fireplace so what would I tell recipients?

Very nice gift idea!

• I Like To Cook 222 November 17, 2010, 5:45 pm

Wow! Super creative! Love it! I'm your newest follower!

• Simply Bungalow November 17, 2010, 5:31 am

Love those. What a great idea!

• Jill November 16, 2010, 9:43 pm

These baskets look great! A wonderful thrifty idea!
    Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit!
    hope you have a lovely week!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• Suzy November 16, 2010, 7:29 pm

The wax completely burns in the heat of the fire. I've never had an issue with residue.

Generally, though, I keep them as a decoration. They are kind of nice to look at. 🙂

• Deb and Mark November 16, 2010, 6:59 pm

Does the wax melt and leave sticky residue in the fireplace?

• cathy almon January 6, 2017, 2:15 pm

No, the wax completely burns up and leaves no residue in the fireplace. I use them daily to start my fires

• creativejewishmom/sara November 16, 2010, 10:12 am

Love the colored pinecones, and this technique is new to me…the gears are turning! Nice to "meet" you and thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling sunday! all the best!

• Happier Than a Pig in Mud November 14, 2010, 10:09 pm

I have a wood stove and know that fire starters are very helpful! I'm sure they will be well received:@)

• Diann November 14, 2010, 6:45 pm

These turned out wonderful! I made these several years ago for friends but, I totally forgot about it plus I never thought of using the crayons! Thanks for the tutorial!

• The Tablescaper November 14, 2010, 4:31 pm

Thanks so much for bringing your seasonal project to Seasonal Sundays!

– The Tablescaper

• Laura November 14, 2010, 2:50 pm

These are awesome. I didn't know you could do this!

Thanks for linking up. And don't forget to enter my along for the ride: designs giveaway! http://bit.ly/9cz33f

• AllieMakes! November 14, 2010, 2:08 pm

That is very cool! I dis not know that you could make those yourself! Very cool!
    You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

• The Tablescaper November 14, 2010, 4:52 am

Wonderful project.I'd love to have you join my weekly meme, Seasonal Sundays!

– The Tablescaper

• Moe November 13, 2010, 4:48 pm

That is such a neat idea! I love the blue color. Blue always reminds me of the holidays….I don't really know why… 🙂

• Threeundertwo November 12, 2010, 10:08 pm

What a great idea! I'm going to have the kids help me make some of these. We have tons of crayons and I'd really love to use them up. This is so brilliant and thrifty. Thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday!

• Bonnie@Creative Decorating November 12, 2010, 5:30 pm

Just stopping by from Fabulous Friday Party!! What a great idea and how pretty they look! Thanks for sharing!

• Michelle@Somedaycrafts November 12, 2010, 2:15 pm

That is a beautiful basket of pinecones.