Doodle Peacock Frame

Create a fun Doodle Peacock Frame with just a fine sharpy permanent pen and a dollar store wooden frame!  Fun to do and beautiful!  Want to know how?

doodle peacock frame

This week’s project is short and sweet. I had gone out of town last weekend and then began carpooling with the husband this week. So, I had no crafty time (other than a little knitting) this past weekend and getting up at 3:45 AM to carpool makes me go to bed pretty early. My husband says I have a switch in my butt, because the minute I finally sit down to relax in the evening, that switch goes off and I fall instantly asleep. So, I had to redo my crafting schedule to work around the lost time.

After sitting in plenty of meetings throughout the years, my doodling abilities have gotten plenty of practice. So, with that in mind, I decided to create a Doodle Picture Frame.

One unfinished wood frame
One black fine point permanent ink pen
One small piece of black cardstock
One small piece of beige cardstock
Clear acrylic spray
A bunch of imagination

doodle peacock framedoodle peacock frame

I began by using a pencil to draw my basic ideas onto the frame. I wanted a peacock and a bunch of flowers and maybe some butterflies. When doodling, I tend to go off on tangents, so I just drew in a basic idea.

EDITED: Due to reader request, I added a basic line drawing pdf pattern above.  Use a piece of charcoal and rub across the back of the pattern and trace it onto the frame.  Details are up to you!  That is the fun of doodling!

doodle peacock frame

Then, taking my black ink pen, I began to fill in the details. I used a gel pen, but frankly any pen will do. Black shows up well against the light wood, but blue would probably look pretty cool too.

doodle peacock frame

I just added things as I went, allowing myself to doodle away as I caught up on all my reality TV. By the way, TIVO is pretty darn awesome. I might have been away for the weekend, but I didn’t miss a thing!

doodle peacock framedoodle peacock frame

doodle peacock frame

The doodle finally got to a point where I decided I was done. After some thought, I decided a photo in the frame would make it too busy. (Like it wasn’t already too busy). Ha! So I decided to go with a monogram. I cut a piece of black cardstock to fit the photo section of the frame. Then cut out a “C” Monogram out of the beige cardstock. To give it some depth, I added two small pieces of cardboard to the back of the monogram with a bit of white glue and then glued the monogram onto the black cardstock. And finished with a coat of clear acrylic spray on the monogram and frame.

doodle peacock frame
doodle peacock frame
And there you have it! Short and sweet and actually kinda cool. If you are into doodles, that is.

Did you make something using a tutorial from the Sitcom?  Send me an email!  I’d love to feature your work!

suzys sitcom facebook page

Want to try your hand at quilting?  My newest quilt Pattern- Batiks Gone Wild!  A great gift!

batiks gone wild quilt pattern

For over 150 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Anonymous April 7, 2016, 10:33 am

Thanks I just love this one. Do you a black sharpie would work?

• cookie17 August 15, 2015, 9:57 pm

Hey Susie,I love work you do & so nice you to share it with us,one my favorite Blogers
    all way’s A++Hope you keep up great work you do,, Thanks’

• Katherine Buchanan August 15, 2015, 4:26 pm

I would LOVE some pencils! I have printed and colored the Enchanted Fish. Several times, actually!

• Madelene Van Tassle August 15, 2015, 9:35 am

I love the patterns. I am sure that good pencils make a difference but, I use what I have. I can’t wait to get started on yours. Thank You.

• Mary K Adams July 20, 2015, 10:20 am

Wow! Riding to work with your husband! Oh and the Art is amazing!!! 🙂

Please do more……

• Pat Materna August 27, 2013, 10:35 am

Suzy… I would say this is much more classy than any doodles I’ve done in meetings. This is beautiful and work of art! My doodles would not look good on a frame. Love the idea though. The simple wood frame is perfect platform for this type of art.

I just joined a few weeks ago and am enjoying your stuff and your sense of humor!

• Susan Myers August 27, 2013, 9:17 pm

Thanks, Pat. And thank you so much for reading the Sitcom!

• Danee August 11, 2011, 3:19 pm

I really love this look. Your doodles are quite nice and far beyond what I would call "doodle". Do you Zentangle? You would be/are quite good at it. Love the black pen on unfinished background. Gives it a very industrial look-simple but chic

• Divya N June 10, 2011, 1:22 pm

super doodly cute

• Anonymous April 23, 2011, 12:05 am

Love it! Doodling is therapy and love the joke about the switch in the butt. I have the same type switch!

• Jill @ Women Who Do It All March 28, 2011, 6:32 am

Wow, that's impressive! I'm not sure I could pull it off, but it would be fun to try. Yours is gorgeous!

• Becolorful March 27, 2011, 7:53 pm

If only I could draw like that. That is a real talent and you obviously have it. Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    Pam

• Christina @ The Tattered Tag March 27, 2011, 5:53 pm

TIVO may be awesome but your frame is by far more awesome!! Thank you for linking up to my K.I.S.S. blog bash last week. This weeks blog bash is in full swing again!! If you haven't already please be sure & link up more of your creativity, I look forward to seeing all your great ideas. 🙂

Drop by The Tattered Tag

• kara@elements-interiors.net March 25, 2011, 9:48 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for linking up to WHASSUP WEDNESDAY!!! Great entry:)

Hope to see you next Wednesday!

xoxokara

• B.Large March 25, 2011, 5:35 pm

Wow you've got a doodle talent! I love it! I'm your newest follower and would love you to check me out too!
    Thanks
    B

• Krafty Kat March 25, 2011, 4:32 pm

My doodles look nothing like yours- I am just in awe of that peacock! Love this frame and I know it would still look cool with my humble doodlings. Thanks for linking up this week!

• SewHappyGeek March 25, 2011, 10:40 am

Hey Suzy! Thanks so much for linking up again – the doodles are so cool I HAD to feature you again!

• Christina March 25, 2011, 12:40 am

You are so talented!!! This is beautiful!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! 🙂

• creativejewishmom/sara March 24, 2011, 9:32 pm

wow, your doodles are amazing! I think you should continue the trend and doodle on everything in sight! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday!

• Tammy March 24, 2011, 4:14 pm

Good idea. I have a frame just like that….must try it.

• cravingcolor March 23, 2011, 10:41 pm

Your work is incredible! I love your frame with the paper flowers too! My favorites are the dandelions. Just amazing!

• Holly March 23, 2011, 8:34 pm

This is so pretty! Yo are quite the doodler! Have you heard of Zentangle? I saw it at the CHA show and it is a kit to do something like this. Your creation is way cool!

• Sachiko March 23, 2011, 5:56 pm

Very stylish! Thank you for sharing this idea at my link party!

• feltsocute March 23, 2011, 4:58 pm

That, my dear, is just about the most beautiful "doodle" I've ever seen! LOVE it!!!

• glamourpuss March 23, 2011, 2:16 pm

Wow! I wish I could draw like that! Wonderful job!! 🙂

• ≼mE aNd mY tℎrIfTy IdEaS≽ March 23, 2011, 12:37 pm

Suzy, everything you do just turns out so gorgeous! Even your doodles! I love this project! Great job!

• Shore Girl March 23, 2011, 12:24 pm

Wow! That is amazing!

• Jill March 23, 2011, 6:47 am

Amazing doodling! and up at 3.45am? that's pretty amazing too! 🙂

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• Stacey March 23, 2011, 5:48 am

Supercute!! I wish I were that tad!lente

• Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com March 23, 2011, 3:22 am

cannot believe you did this just doodling! amazing! thanks so much for linking up to handmade tuesdays @ ladybug blessings http://www.ladybug-blessings.com

• Kassi @ Truly Lovely March 22, 2011, 6:41 pm

The drawing on the frame is just BEAUTIFUL!! Looks like alot of time well spent! Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays!!

• Jennifer March 22, 2011, 3:03 pm

This is soooo pretty!! I love it!
    Jennifer

• The Answer Is Chocolate March 22, 2011, 1:15 am

Just wanted to let you know I featured this as part of my March Open House wrap up! Come get a featured button if you like!

• AmieAnn March 21, 2011, 7:33 pm

Love love love it! The peacock design is amazing! Love how you made an ordinary frame come ALIVE! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

• Sasha March 21, 2011, 6:03 pm

Suzy your artistic ability is AMAZING! Your doodles look so much better than anything I've ever doodled. Thanks for linking up to Creation Mondays @ ~The Life of Me~!

• Tanyia March 21, 2011, 2:43 pm

just WOW I could never ever ever do that, but that is just fantastic!

I found you from Sumo's blog, Id love to have you stop by and check out my project! http://xsurvivingmotherhoodx.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-made-it-kindle-kozy.html

• Renee @ where the grass is greener March 21, 2011, 12:31 pm

Doodle? I would say artwork…awesome drawing. It's gorgeous!

• melburger29 March 20, 2011, 5:13 pm

I love it! Wow, you are a pretty good doodle artist. I am going to try this, but my doodles will not be this intricate. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

• Erin J. March 20, 2011, 4:50 am

So cute!

• Meg March 20, 2011, 12:03 am

You call that a doodle? I call that a work of art. Beautiful!

• LambAround March 19, 2011, 12:58 pm

Absolutely beautiful! I'd be nervous about making a mistake, so I love the suggestion to use a pencil first before doodling directly onto the frame.

• Garden Lily March 19, 2011, 6:00 am

Delightful!

• malia March 18, 2011, 11:37 pm

wow suzy… you are A SUPER talented artist!!!

• Siggy Spice March 18, 2011, 6:14 pm

THAT is some pretty spectacular doodling there lady! Wowzers…I can't even draw stick people! Maybe I could pass off my frame on my 4 year old, lol!

• Naturally Me Creations March 18, 2011, 2:53 pm

That's a really cute framing idea! If you can draw well that is… 🙂 Very nicely done!

• Norene March 18, 2011, 2:48 pm

That was absolutely beautiful! It amazes me how you come up with all these ideas. I love it.

• The Answer Is Chocolate March 18, 2011, 2:06 pm

Oh my wow! I am a Zentangle addict and never thought to do it on something like this. This is not "doodling" this is ART. Come link this up @ my link party pretty please?!

• Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle March 18, 2011, 1:56 pm

Oh wow, that's some artistic doodling! If I tried that it most definitely wouldn't look as cute as yours – gorgeous job!!

• Terry March 18, 2011, 1:25 pm

Love it. I have to admit that my doodles are more along the geometrical line, lots of triangles. Not nearly as pretty for a frame, lol. Nice job.

• Whimsy-ma-blog March 18, 2011, 11:54 am

Cute, Suzy! I have to say my doodles aren't nearly as sophisticated as yours. Think more along the lines of stick figures and lopsided flowers. That's a cute, easy idea, though. Those blank wood frames always just scream for some attention and a good craft.