7 Fun Pinecone Craft Ideas!

It’s getting to that time of year when there are lots of pinecones dropping from the trees and totally cluttering up the yard.  What to do?  How about using those little guys for a bit of crafty decor?  Here are 7 fun pinecone craft ideas to use up some of those beautiful pinecones!

7-fun-pinecone-crafts5

There are over 115 species of pine trees in the world.  In the US alone, there are 35 different types of pine trees.  This includes spruces, noble fir, sequoias, bristlecone pine, Scots pine and many more.  That means there is a huge variety of pinecone shapes and sizes available depending upon where you live.  A huge crafting opportunity!

wax covered pine cone gift baskets

Wax Covered Pine Cones from Suzys Sitcom

Did you know? There are both male and female pinecones.  Male pinecones generally do not leave the tree.  They are small and soft.  The female pinecones are the ones you see laying about on the ground in the fall.

7-fun-pinecone-crafts3

Pinecone Treat Jars from Club Chica Circle

The biggest pine cones are 8-16 inches long and can weigh up to 10 pounds. That is a heck of a pinecone!  They come from the Coulter Pine, which is found in Southern California and Northern Baja Mexico.  Would love to collect a few of those!

Sitcom 2 step option

scented pinecones by suzys artsy craftsy sitcom

Scented Pinecone Centerpiece from Suzys Sitcom

Did you know? Sugar Pines create the longest pine cones. Their pinecones can be as long as 24 inches long!

Click here for more!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2

• Victoria @DazzleWhileFrazzled November 14, 2016, 5:36 pm

Great ideas! I have a bag of pinecones that I’ve collected that I have no idea what to do with, other than a wreath. But that seems too boring. Visiting from Inspire Me Monday party.

• GEORGIA August 17, 2015, 1:00 pm

Suzy. Can you please tell me what the white pinecones are attached to in the wreath. I don’t know Swedish. I have the pinecones and paint. Thx

• Marlisa November 12, 2016, 1:07 pm

… made of expanded polystyrene (Styrofoam).

• Joelle September 5, 2013, 2:22 pm

I just went around my office building here in Calgary, Alberta and collected a grocery bag full of 1″ pinecones from the hemlock pines here. They really are the most adorable little cones you could imagine! I don’t know if I could send any to you, but send me an email and we’ll see what we can work out.

• Tracy September 4, 2013, 8:02 pm

Hi. You may want to put in a warning. In Calif. at least, it is illegal to collect / remove pinecones (and wildflowers) from State & National Parks. People should make sure to collect from yards of friends & family. The Decorating Ideas you show here are beautiful. Best Wishes, Tracy

• Susan Myers September 5, 2013, 11:48 am

Duly noted, Tracy! Actually, as I understand it, most State and National Parks do not allow removal of anything at all. Otherwise, there would be nothing left! So folks, be sure to gather from your yards!

• Cindy Hughes September 4, 2013, 4:18 pm

When my husband and I first married, we went to California to meet my in-laws.
    He took me up in the mountains and I collected those big huge pinecones, carried them around and then stored them in a box in a closet at my in-laws until we went home. When we got home and I opened the box, imagine my horror when it was full of baby SCORPIONS!!! Had to burn the whole box and my husband made ME call my new in-laws…they had to fumigate the whole house! Lesson learned…bake those babies before you handle them hahaha.

• Susan Myers September 5, 2013, 11:45 am

Uggggh! I would have totally freaked. That is why I store mine in the garage for several months before I even think about bringing them inside. There is a small section in the scented pinecones tutorial that shows how to bake them clean of any remaining insects.