Craft Room Organization- Before and After!

It’s that time of year to organize the house.  With that in mind, I’m bringing back a fun post from last year… A total craft room organization was in order! Want to see the Before and After?   I’d love for you all to think that I’m not only a good crafter, but I keep a brilliantly clean house, have perfect children, and I’m married to Brad Pitt.  But more than likely, you probably don’t believe that.  I mean, Brad barely even gives me the time of day.

craft room organization before and after

In all actuality, I’m kind of a messy crafter.  While the rest of the house stays on the good side of mildly disgusting, my crafty work room is often allowed to become a massive pit, piled with half-finished projects, leftover scraps from finished projects, empty paint cans, paint cans that I forgot to put the lid on, paint cans that I simply lost the lid, containers full of  long forgotten crafty mixtures that I probably should have written down.  Hazardous waste, maybe?

Well, at least I admit it.  When it comes to my room, I figure I’m the only one that has to wallow in it.

But every once in a while, I’m bitten with the neat bug and decide to organize my crafty room and make it much more user friendly.  After all, I spend a whole ton of time in there.  So my daughter and I went on a trip to Ikea, f0und a bunch of great containers, a cute carpet, and some odds and ends.  I spent $50, and created a whole new organized atmosphere.

So here are the before and after photos for you to see.  Along with a bunch of commentary.  Because I’m gonna keep it real here.

BEFORE

craft room organization before and after

1. My poor sewing machine has somehow been evicted to the corner of a workspace and covered in paint cans and sadness.
  2. My juke box straight from the 1980’s.  Hey, don’t judge.
  3. My current method for storing all my blown eggs that are ready for dyeing involves random tupperware containers that have been confiscated from the kitchen.  Meanwhile, the leftover spaghetti is currently downstairs in the fridge in my 2- cup measuring cup wishing it had a better home.
  4. Storage for empty toilet paper tubes.  Because I collect toilet paper tubes.  What?  You don’t collect toilet paper tubes?  Seriously, one never knows when one might need toilet paper tubes.  They are nearly as important as my pickle jar collection.
  5. Trash.  Most likely because the trash can is overflowing.  Nice.
  6. Lack of arrows here, but stashed in the shelves here are some of my most valuable vintage craft magazines.  See them?  Those dog-eared looking magazines that are half-hazardly stuffed in there.  I hang my head in shame.
  7. Open drawers because it takes a bunch of effort to close them.  Seriously.
  8. Stacks of frames waiting to be made into projects.  What exactly, I don’t know, but they were apparently on sale at one time or another.  I’m pretty sure that is dust on the top you see.  And broken dreams.
  9. My dad’s fancy dremel tool.  Well, at least that’s the box.  The dremel tool?  We’ll have to find it in this mess somewhere.
  10. Faith’s spot.

craft room organization before and after

11. Glue and paintbrushes and more glue.  Because you can never have too much glue.

12.  The new diet requires me drink 64 oz. of water every day.  Which means that in any given spot in the house sits a cup full of 64 oz. of water.  Drinking it?  Well, that’s a whole other ball game.

13.  Unfinished painting.  In progress now, hmmm…. maybe one year?  Sigh.

14.  Finished projects.  They are everywhere.

15. Not sure how long this has been here.  Possibly a private science experiment…

16. Multiple projects all happening at the same time because I have a rare form of Crafty ADHD.

17.  More eggs in random tupperware containers.

craft room organization before and after

18.  Where the yarn stash is supposed to be.

19.   My prized vintage craft magazine collection.  As you can see, I take great care of it.  Ha!  At least it is well loved…

20.  Empty quilt rack.  Where’s the quilt, you ask? I’ll be looking.  It better not be sitting under a dog butt.  That’s all I have to say about that.

21.  I think I just found the yarn stash… just follow the strand of yarn to my over-priced collection of fine wool yarns- all over the floor.

22.  Carpet cleaner.  Because in the spirit of keeping it real, the dogs occasionally yak on my carpet.  Yep, we are high class here.

So what to do?  Well after a weekend of sorting, cleaning, and stashing, we are ready for the big reveal!

AFTER

craft room organization before and after

craft room organization before and after

craft room organization before and after

craft room organization before and after

craft room organization before and after

Hardly looks like the same room.  Brad would be so proud!

suzys sitcom facebook page

Want to try your hand at quilting?  My newest quilt Pattern- Batiks Gone Wild!  A great gift!

batiks gone wild quilt pattern

For over 150 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• malia January 17, 2014, 11:28 pm

Looks great Suzy! I need to do mine too!

• Paula@SweetPea January 15, 2014, 6:35 pm

My mom always says that cleaning makes a mess. Your space looks incredible now that you’ve worked on it. I know you are loving crafting in your neat and organized space.

• Jay January 14, 2014, 11:22 pm

I think you have done a super job and wish you would come visit me. I do have one question though….what do you do with all the ‘stuff’ that belongs a) in the garage b) in the barn c) In somebody’s closet d) with the dog things in the hanging unit. Then there are the recyclables, seldom used canned goods, summer outside dishes, cups etc. things which have no other home. It is so great to live in a little, 875 sq ft house, which holds 2 pack rats me and my daughter, 2 cats and 2 dogs. But then I wouldn’t have it any other way….I think.

• Susan Myers January 17, 2014, 10:55 am

I’m busy downsizing, so if it doesn’t fit in the work room anymore, it is going in a yard sale! 🙂

• Debby January 14, 2014, 5:57 pm

Absolutely wonderful. The before and after might even give me some hope. I just need a pole barn, but I live on a small lot in the city, so might just have to clean instead.

• Susan Myers January 17, 2014, 10:53 am

Thanks, Debby! Hopefully I can keep it clean for a while!

• christine January 14, 2014, 12:40 pm

Your before and after pictures are really nice. a shiny floor on commercials always inspired me to get after my house. after clutter i always feel like i can think clearly again. Good job.
    Did you get my message I sent you about tapping McQueen calendar pictures around my nephew’s room as the border?
    You do a good job on your crafts. Keep up the good work.:)

• Jerri January 14, 2014, 11:46 am

Love the before and after and the ‘real’ commentary. am finally cleaning out my daughter’s room (she moved out almost 2 years ago) moving stuff from spare room, into her room and creating a nice office/craft room in the old spare room! so excited!! but I have one questions/tease for you! umm… there are no pics of the closet door open… are you saving that for another blog? lol!! Thanks for all your suggestions !!

• Susan Myers January 17, 2014, 10:47 am

Thanks, Jerri! And yes, I should have taken a photo of the closet door open! I promise it is currently clean too! Cannot promise it will stay that way, though. 🙂

• Pepper January 14, 2014, 10:41 am

Great job! I would love to know where you found those cute boxes. I would love to do something similar in my craft room.

• Susan Myers January 17, 2014, 9:34 am

Actually, the boxes were rather inexpensive. I found them, the rug and the magazine organizers at IKEA. My total bill was right around $50. The magazine organizers were all plain white and I added colorful scrapbook paper to them to brighten them up.

• craftygrandma January 14, 2014, 10:06 am

LOL!! Congrats on the clean-up – I bet you feel real ‘good’ about it….now to find the stuff is another story….too organized!! I still have my ‘stereo’ my son bought me with his 1st paycheck – hey it has tape and cd and it works!!! We downsized by moving 4 years ago and it was only last year that we finished the basement and I got my craft room. Unfortunately, it has a crawl space for ‘storage’ and the rest goes out in the shed. BUT the door froze (due to -40 temps) and the tree was temporarily moved to my craft room…now it’s raining – can’t get wet! we might melt!! LOL!! Oh! well spring is coming ….really!?? Nope just waiting for the next snowstorm to hit!!! Enjoy your ‘new quarters’ while you can…bet you can’t keep it like that!!! LOL!!

• Susan Myers January 17, 2014, 9:44 am

Yep. Not going to take any bets on this one! Ha! You saw what it looked like before. But I will make an effort to stay on the cleaner side of disgusting. It sure is nice to have a bit of room to work in!

Sorry about your current craft space. When it thaws out, I’m sure it will be wonderful!

• Robyn of Oz January 13, 2014, 11:09 pm

I love what you’ve done! Mine is still being The Before shot. I’ve run out of money and storage so there is stuff everywhere. If the police were to turn up, they’d think we’d been burgled, but it’s just my mess in need of taming.

• Susan Myers January 17, 2014, 10:46 am

Thank you! Yep, my room looked like it had been burgled too! Ha!

• Susan May 7, 2013, 4:32 pm

Way to go GF! I’ve got a lot of the “before” going on here, but am not holding my breath for any lovely “after”s! LOL Scary, but true.

Love your work in progress. Is it some place in particular?

And congrats on the Kids Crafts magazine! Woot!

• Susan Myers May 9, 2013, 11:09 am

Hi Susan,

Thanks so much! The works in progress are for my Etsy shop- mostly Ukrainian eggs and such. I love making them. It is very calming. 🙂

Thanks for stopping by!

• Karen Hyatt May 6, 2013, 2:23 pm

I also have that crafty ADHD, along with a very old McDonald’s cup on my table. That could be my craft room, the before that is. I don’t know if I’ll ever get to the after!

• Susan Myers May 9, 2013, 10:55 am

Hi Karen,

It is nice to know that I’m not the only one with “science experiments” in my work room. The big challenge now is to keep it clean.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Bernice May 6, 2013, 11:57 am

wow! What a difference! Good for you! A very funny post! Thanks for sharing, some of us think you bloggers are sooooo well organized to produce what you do and then share with us…I don’t have a “room” just a dining room table! And it looks like your “before!” Very enjoyable post, again , thanks!

• Susan Myers May 9, 2013, 10:53 am

Hi Bernice!

Oh, I remember the dining room table days! Used to have to clear the darned thing off every day for dinner. Or make them eat around the crafts. That is always an option. Ha!

Thank you for your kind words!

• Monica May 6, 2013, 11:04 am

Suzy – I am not a big “commenter” – I read your posts religiously but today’s was by far the funniest thing I have read in months (And I read alot of blogs!!) Congrats on the organization/cleanup event – you are a very BRAVE woman!! lol The comments had me laughing so hard – Thank you – just what I needed on a grey gloomy Monday! The transformation is marvelous 🙂

• Susan Myers May 9, 2013, 10:50 am

Hi Monica!

Thank you so much for all the very kind words! I am so glad I was able to put a smile in your day! And yes, the ol’ workroom was a comedy of ridiculousness. Really, I don’t have to make this stuff up! Ha!

Now I just have to keep it clean, right? 🙂

• Peg H May 6, 2013, 10:34 am

Suzi, WOW. I am SO IMPRESSED! You really worked your tushie off on this project and the difference is phenomenal.

Now will you come do my space? Oh. Wait. I don’t really *have* a space. Therein lies the problem. :-/

Seriously … you did an awesome job on this room!

• Jaan L May 6, 2013, 7:46 am

Oh, so cool….and I love that red rug…..would love to have it my room. Love the way you have organized your area. GOLD STAR for you.

• Kara May 6, 2013, 1:21 am

LOVE! I wanted to included a photo and link back of your creative space in a round up, but Im unable to save any of your photos 🙁 Anyway, I love your space!

• Brenda Williams April 14, 2012, 10:00 am

Wow this looks awesome! Please come to my house!

• Teddie Seeley April 14, 2012, 7:08 am

Suzy, wow, that is just awesome. Love the colors, I sure hope you are planning on marking the boxes, so you will know what is in them, or do you plan on peeking in the little holes?
    Suzy, is that all the t.p. tubes you have? I panicked when I heard somewhere, that they were going to quit using cardboard in the t.p. So I have quite a collection going.
    Cait, I do the same thing, I have a couple of boxes, that I’ve just used, to pile some things from my living room into, just haven’t carried them into my craft room yet. When I do, I will just shove them into the room, sigh, I really need help, but I’m not as brave as Suzy, I don’t want anyone to see my room.
    Lynne, I was wondering about the inside of the closet myself.
    Michele, you just recently, sorted out your shelves, didn’t you? I will not believe that it has become undone already.

• Suzy April 14, 2012, 12:35 pm

I haven’t marked the boxes yet, but at this time I know what’s in them. They came with labels, so I will probably put that to good use. As for TP, well that is what I have left over from the last project which you will see soon. TP tubes never last too long in my work room as I always have ideas floating around in my head for them.

The closet? You know I should take an after photo of it too. I promise it is as neat as the room at the moment. A bunch of the stuff in the closet is now stored in the boxes. Like my yarn stash! Ha!

• Cait April 13, 2012, 5:47 pm

Wow! I seriously need you, too!!! Amazing transformation. By the way, my workroom is 10 times worse than yours was. And when I clean up the living room I just throw stuff in the workroom. sigh.

• Lynne April 13, 2012, 11:32 am

Now I really need to get back to re-organizing my craft room. The last time I started I scared poor Henry (the tough guy rottweiler) with my box of purses to be sorted that I gave up! 😉

Seriously, that looks great – want to come help me do mine????

No telling what kind of crafty goodness will come out of a room that organized.

• Bethany April 13, 2012, 9:54 am

Wow, what a difference!!!
    My juke box from the 80s is still the one that lets you play records. As in vinyl spinning discs. So I won’t be judging yours today 🙂

• Lynda April 13, 2012, 9:32 am

WOW!!!!! I think that crafty ADHD runs in the family because I also have it. Have you been downstairs in my room lately? I think I ought to hire you to come fix my room, LOL it looks really awesome and now I want to come over and make some crafts in it, lol
    p.s. how come we can’t see inside the closet? hehehe

• Cheryl@ Sew Can Do April 13, 2012, 9:26 am

Can you come over and do this to my entire house? Great job & have some relaxed and organized crafting!

• norene April 13, 2012, 9:12 am

It sure looks like a different room now. I loved all the little picture details you drew on it. I think you will feel more relaxed in your room and be able to see your accomplishments quicker. It looks great!

• Katy April 13, 2012, 9:00 am

WOW! That is what I call a transformation! I love the colors and how organized everything is. I feel inspired….

• Amanda April 13, 2012, 8:52 am

Your newly organized craft room looks great! I’m pretty messy too. I know my trash can is overflowing onto the floor and my sewing machine is currently buried behind other crafty goodness! I must have that rare form of crafty ADHD too, because I always have more than two or three things going at once! I’ve actually got a vinyl wall decal that says “I’m not messy, I’m creative!”. Good luck to keeping your beautiful room organized!

• Suzy April 14, 2012, 12:41 pm

I always say that a messy desk is a sign of a busy mind. At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• michele April 13, 2012, 8:52 am

I need to clean my craft dungeon. I’ve never taken (or shown) pics of it because well, the lighting’s terrible (no windows) and it’s a giant and perpetual mess (but that’s just how that goes). I love what you’ve done with your space. I envy your windows. A lovely (and inexpensive) transformation, Suzy. Way to go!

• Suzy April 14, 2012, 12:43 pm

Thanks, Michele! I do love my craft room. My old room consisted of the kitchen table, which I had to clean off every evening for dinner!

• Kathy Haddock April 13, 2012, 7:33 am

LOL. Kind of reminds me of my craft stash. It’s nice to know that us crafters are all kindred spirits. albeit messy ones! My attitude is that if it isn’t messy then I’m not being creative enough, as I tell my husband…. Love what you did with your room. Are you free for estimates??

• Suzy April 14, 2012, 12:45 pm

It took three solid days to clean up that mess, and at one point I felt like I was making a bigger mess than I had started with! It’s nice to have some organization. I’m going to try hard to keep it that way. As for estimates, I think I’ll stick with the crafty business. Ha!