How to make Easy Decorative Soaps!

Need a quick and unique gift idea?  Create easy DIY Decorative Soaps using dollar store soaps, fabric, and scrapbook paper!  This project is so simple even the kids can do it!

Don’t you hate it when your Mom’s birthday sneaks up on you and you have nothing unique to present to her other than the obligatory card?  Well, this year I’m on top of the game. Decorative soaps make a great gift, look pretty in the bathroom, and you can make these any theme you like!

LOVE these fish soaps!

Or maybe these great flower power soaps!  I can’t decide!  Want to know how to make them?  Well, I totally have your back…

Dollar store soaps
Colorful fabric
Colorful scrapbook paper
Mod Podge (Matte)

The Dollar store always has a great selection of soaps.  You could grab any color and nearly any shape.  For this project, I opted to go with the white plain soaps.

easy diy decorative soaps

My soaps had the name brand embedded in both sides.  I used a knife to scrape off the name brand so that my fabric would lie flat.  (This is an optional step).

easy diy decorative soaps

Then I dug in my fabric closet for some bright fabric.  Loved the fish!  Unfortunately, most of them were too big for my soaps, but I did find a few that would work.  Again- this is limited only to your imagination.  Imagine the themes you could come up with!

Sitcom 2 step option

I carefully trimmed the fish, painted the back side with Mod Podge and positioned them onto the soaps.

easy diy decorative soaps

Coat the top with Mod Podge.  I found that several layers of Mod Podge were needed to make a smooth finish  Allow the Mod Podge to dry in between coats.

The soaps covered in scrapbook paper are even easier!  Simply trim the paper to fit on top of the soap with no overlaps.  Paint the back of the paper with Mod Podge and position onto the soaps, then coat the whole top of the soap in several layers of Mod Podge.

easy diy decorative soaps

Since only the top of the soaps are coated in Mod Podge, they can definitely be used.  But then again, they are too pretty to use!

Want more fun soap projects?

How to make Conversation Hearts Soaps
How to make Fall Leaf Soaps
How to make Snowflake Soaps

For over 150 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Donna @ Modern on Monticello July 24, 2017, 8:32 pm

These would make great gifts to be used as drawer sachets and just decorative in the bathroom. And so easy! Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersParty

• Jaan July 15, 2017, 2:59 pm

Once again you have come up with such a unique idea and I love it. A great idea to really make a bathroom prettier.

• Irene August 28, 2016, 3:28 am

Hi, You can use napkins on soap. I have also done this with candles. Use waxed paper over the pattern, waxed side of paper onto pattern & use a warm hair dryer, holding it in a towell, so you won’t burn your hands. Takes a few minutes. The wax from the paper melts over the pattern. They look great. Such a lovley gift. Irene

• Michelle James April 4, 2016, 8:53 pm

Such a great idea! Very creative! Thank you for sharing at #HomeMattersParty

• Jerusha (ThePositiveYear.com) March 29, 2016, 8:04 pm

That’s fantastic! The cool thing is that since they’re sealed with mod podge, I bet as decorative soaps that you can just wipe them off and they don’t look dingy and icky. – Jerusha, ThePositiveYear.com

• Melinda Mitchell March 28, 2016, 5:05 pm

How cute! Love, LOVE easy and CHEAP!! Thanks.
    Inspire Me Monday

• Alayna @AlaynasCreations August 29, 2015, 9:51 am

Great trick. Thanks for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty link party!

• Karen August 26, 2015, 4:14 pm

This are adorable and just so darn clever!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Something to Talk About!
    Karen

• Megin August 26, 2015, 12:23 pm

What a fun idea! These are so charming. I love all the fun bright patterns.
    Thank you for sharing this week at Brag About It link party on VMG206 (Mondays at Midnight).
    ~ Megin of VMG206

• Veronica Snelson June 4, 2014, 10:44 pm

This is a wonderful idea and I would love to use it with my kids club of about 20 kids. But mod podge is too expensive here in Australia. Do you think PVA glue would work or some other suggestion maybe? I also wondered about whether using the thin layer off the top of decorative napkins might be nice. However being so thin, they may rub off to quickly. Any thoughts? Thanks again Suzy from half way around the world! Don’t you love the internet!

• Susan Myers June 5, 2014, 2:08 pm

Hi Veronica!

Regarding the Mod Podge. I believe you could substitute PVA glue as long as it dries clear. Experiment with it first to be sure. I have made this project before and instead of using Mod Podge, I melted clear wax and dipped just the tops of the soaps into it to create a top layer of wax. Wasn’t as kid friendly though. You can find the tutorial here: http://suzyssitcom.com/2011/04/feature-friday-hand-made-decorative-soaps.html

Regarding the decorative napkins- that is a great idea! Would love to see what you come up with!

• Laura Hinckley April 2, 2014, 10:39 pm

I could not be more pleased. What a talent you are! 🙂 Thank you for falling from Heaven to ACS 🙂 and to me …