The Sitcom goes to Bar Harbor, Maine!

We recently sold our house and most everything we own and hit the road in our RV.  We have officially been gone about two months now. Life on the road so far has been very exciting, but there are definitely times when we have been a bit nervous about how to handle things.  Finances are one of the main concerns.

rv in carabelle florida

I have to tell you that finances, insurance, taxes, and other technical issues are totally not my cup of tea.  Hand me a toilet paper tube or a disposable aluminum pan and tell me to make something?  I’m in heaven.  Hand me the checkbook and ask me to balance the statement, and like Marsha Brady, “something will suddenly come up”.  But unfortunately, some things just cannot be avoided.

faith dog watching me craft

See, even Faith is bored at the thought…

The digital age is a big help, and the fact that we will be on the road means that we will depend even more upon the internet to handle our finances.  We will have insurance bills, phone bills, vet bills…oh and yes food bills.  How do we handle them best while traveling?  Our current bank is not nationwide, so some research is needed.

working at KOA in maine

We stumbled into the idea of work camping.  It varies from campground to campground, but in many areas, you can stay for free in exchange for working at the campground.  We work as a couple with the same days off.  Dave is maintenance, and I am in the front office.  This whole deal helps to offset our expenses and gives us the opportunity to see amazing places.

bar harbor oceanside koa5

This is our first official stop- Bar Harbor, Maine.  We will be here for about six months, working at the local KOA campgrounds in exchange for a place to stay and a small salary.  I have to tell you it is a beautiful area here!  If you ever have the opportunity, you really need to come to Maine and see the fabulous coast.

My family will be flying up to visit us next month, so I passed on a tip that I came across- the Discover it Miles® card.  We love the fact that there is no annual fee and they give you 1.5x miles for every dollar spent on purchases. Did you know that cardmembers can redeem miles at any amount for cash, or as a statement credit toward their travel purchases, including commercial airline tickets, hotel rooms, car rentals, commuter transportation and taxicabs?  Perfect for summer travel!

As an introductory offer, Discover it Miles cardmembers will now receive double the amount of miles they’ve earned at the end of their first year – with no spending cap!

Very cool.

bar harbor oceanside koa

And Maine is a great place to vacation!  See all those white floats in the water just off the shore?  Everyone of those is a lobster trap.  They go as far as you can see in all directions.  A passing lobster just doesn’t have a chance in Bar Harbor.

bar harbor oceanside koa

Lobsters, lobsters everywhere.  Lobster shirts, lobster signs, lobster salt and pepper shakers, lobster Christmas lights, lobster cookie cutters, lobster calendars…

bar harbor oceanside koa

Ever eaten a whole lobster?  Well, it is an adventure.  Our waitress recognized the slightly alarmed looks on our faces as these red crustaceans were set in front of us and took us under her wing.  She showed us how to break the the claws off, and then how to twist the tail off the body to get to the tail meat.

After warning us that we needed to remove the “chute” in the tail, she left us to our adventure.

Okay.  I’m not thrilled about looking for a “chute”, but here goes…

bar harbor oceanside koa

So, here is what we learned.  DO NOT twist the tail off the body while holding it over your plate!  Bleh!  There  is green stuff that will fall onto your plate.  This is the lobster tomalley, which is apparently the lobster’s liver and pancreas.  Many people, especially in New England, consider it a delicacy, and eat it along with the rest of the lobster.

We did not.  I will only take this “eating as the locals do” just so far!

But we both did agree that the lobsters were delicious.  Especially the tail and claws.  Now that we have officially been broken in, we plan on trying a few more before we leave the area.  After all, we are experts now!

bar harbor oceanside koa

The coast of Maine is amazing.  Did you know that there are over 60 lighthouses along the water in Maine?  It is my personal goal to visit at least half of them while we are here.

bar harbor oceanside koa

And I would be remiss not to mention the beauty of the campsite itself.  We are currently living at the Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA and would you believe that this is in my front yard?

If you are doing any traveling this summer, consider Discover it Miles® card.  Traveling and saving money at the same time is truly the best of both worlds!

If you would like to follow along with us on our travels, be sure to check out The Traveling Sitcom where I document our journey!

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Anonymous June 1, 2015, 2:48 am

Keep em coming Suzy! Glad you get to live your dream and include us in it.

• Sandra Kingsbury May 31, 2015, 10:41 pm

I am a lifelong Mainer but spent the weekend in Bar Harbor. I love to vacation in my own state. I highly recommend a restaurant in town called CherrySTONES. We had the luncheon pulled pork sandwiches and onion rings……totally yummy! Our waitress works there on Saturdays. Her name was Krystin. Best service bar none! I think the service can make or break a good meal. She was very attentive, knowledgeable about the area, etc. Very pleasant dining experience.

• Judy May 31, 2015, 5:43 pm

Your bank doesn’t have to be nationwide. Set up with your bank account to pay bills when you want to or automatically. We prefer to pay ours monthly ourselves. YOU STAY IN CONTROL this way and most banks pay them electronically. You just have to set up your pay list. We are always at Walmart and get our spending cash there when we purchase something. There is always a Walmart around. This has worked for us for quite a few years. Keep having fun, it’s a great life. I do my sewing on my 30×36 table. Make all kinds of quilts.

• Susan Myers May 31, 2015, 10:01 pm

Hi Judy!
      Great advice! Thank you so much! We are learning as we go. The digital age makes things so much easier.

I have a similar size table, but figure I can always spread out on the picnic table on a nice day, right? Would love to see some of your quilts! Thank you so much for stopping by!

• Sue S May 31, 2015, 4:24 pm

We were up in Maine last year in April. Weather was great. We were in Bar Harbor too. Lovely little town. Also being tourists, we went to see Stephen King’s home. Loved the fence around his home. Have fun.

• Susan Myers May 31, 2015, 11:25 pm

Oooh! I definitely need to add Stephen King’s home to my list of things to see! Great idea!

Bar Harbor is beautiful isn’t it?

• Ruth May 31, 2015, 3:12 pm

And here we are in South East Texas cooking up these crawfish!!!!! They may be itty bitty compared to those big old lobsters, but are every bit as tasty. They’re also boiled up with corn and potatoes. Ain’t we all got fun???!!!!

• Susan Myers May 31, 2015, 11:29 pm

Crawfish are great too! A whole lot of work, but pretty darn tasty! But come to think of it, the lobster was a lot of work too! LOL!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Vickie May 31, 2015, 2:18 pm

You are living my dream! I’ve ALWAYS wanted to go see America by roadway. I hope you include many photos so that I can live my dream vicariously!! Perhaps you will be my motivation to go and do!

• Susan Myers May 31, 2015, 11:32 pm

Hi Vickie!

Lots and lots of photos! Seems I can’t take enough. We plan on documenting as much as we can. This lifestyle is something we have worked towards for years and now that we are actually doing it, we are trying to enjoy every moment we can. Thank you so much for following along!

• Amanda Bidwell May 31, 2015, 12:26 pm

Hi, Why are you living my life? I see you’re really enjoying it! Give it back! This is MY dream!

I wish I was young enough to do the same thing, because you’d have some mean competition. But I do wish you the best. What articles, book, stories you can write along the way. And the local crafts… and recipes … such fun! I’d have trouble sleeping… too much excitement!

• Amanda Bidwell May 31, 2015, 5:08 pm

My reply is under consideration? Must be you want people to write what you want them to write. Why don’t you give us examples by writing them yourselves. Forget it. I don’t want my conversation printed. You’re certainly starting off on the negative with this follower. Must be you wanted your replies to offer you money. Nada. You want it, figure it out for yourself. And I feel you mentioning it extensively is just what you were doing.

• Susan Myers May 31, 2015, 9:43 pm

Hi Amanda,

I’m so sorry that you misunderstood my comment system. I receive about 300 comments a day to my website and easily 250 of those comments are spam comments (with viruses attached). As most bloggers do, I pay for a spam blocker service that protects both my website and readers from those comments. However, spammers are pretty smart and have ways around the system. So, I also have my comments moderated which means if a person has never commented on my site before, I have to manually approve the comment. Once it is approved, that person will always be able to comment without having it go through the system.

Regarding money, in no way am I asking for a cent. I’m sorry that you took it that way.

Hope your day is wonderful, and thank you so much for stopping by the Sitcom!

• heather May 31, 2015, 12:26 pm

What an interesting post. Silly me, never thought about financial concerns on the travels 🙁 Great you found ways to help with this. I have never been to Maine but it looks really cool. Enjoy and stay safe.

• Susan Myers May 31, 2015, 11:37 pm

Hi Heather!

It turns out that working at campgrounds is a great plan. The job is fun and we have lots of time leftover for sight seeing and enjoying our camper. As for Maine- if you ever get a chance to visit, you will not be disappointed! It is amazing and the photos really do not do it justice.

Suzy