Our work-camping adventure- A look at Bar Harbor

If you follow the Sitcom regularly, then you know that we are full time RV’ers.  In April of this year, we sold our house and most everything we owned and hit the road.  We are driving a 2013 Itasca Meridian Class A Motorhome, and are traveling with our two dogs, Faith and Ralph.

west quoddy lighthouse

How can we afford to travel the country?  Well, there is such a thing as “work-camping”.  In exchange for a spot to park your RV, utilities, and oftentimes, hourly pay, you can work at many campgrounds across the country.  This basically will cover your room and board and spending money while you check out the area.  We are fortunate that my websites help to cover the rest of the bills.

mount washington new hampshire

Our first job this year was a six month stint in Bar Harbor, Maine.  We work camped at the Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA for the summer.  It was hard work, but we had an amazing time!  We not only were able to check out a beautiful part of the country, but met a ton of fabulous people in the process!

tybee island georgia

We left Bar Harbor in early October, but before we did, I put together this fun video of our experiences while we were there…

We are currently parked at the St. Petersburg, FL KOA for about 5 months.  This is our winter job this year.  We are very excited to start our next adventure!

To follow our travels by sure to check out The Traveling Sitcom!  For more information on the Bar Harbor area:

Bar Harbor KOA
Bar Harbor Tourism

For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Michelle Moulton November 20, 2015, 6:05 pm

Great tutorials! I signed up with my email but couldn’t find the link for the Enchanted Fish. Could you please send it to via email. I love the faux tin work that you’ve done. Looking forward to see what else you come up with as your ideas are so clever!

• Beverly Deardurff November 9, 2015, 4:13 pm

I would love to do what you do. I wanted to go camping this past summer, but my husband didn’t want to. I’m working on downsizing, minimalizing, being fugal, and working on an limited budget since I collect disablity for an incurable, degenerate, rare, orphan disease called Stiff Person Syndrome with parkisonism. I have a BA in Art and Psychology plus many graduate courses. I was diagosed with SPS in Jan. 2007. I’ve had to find my own resourses, but finding employment has been a never ending battle. I like your black VW Beetle. I have a 2001 black diesel VW Beetle! I have 3 dogs and 2 birds. I love music, the arts, crafting, upcycling, and antiques.

• Susan Myers November 9, 2015, 11:16 pm

Hi Beverly!
      Sounds like we have lots of things in common! The downsizing part was the hardest thing for us. But I have to tell you that once it was complete, it was a huge weight off our backs! I love the fact that all my worldly possessions are on wheels and ready to travel with me where ever we decide to go! Thanks so much for following along!

• pat whitmus November 8, 2015, 11:11 pm

We have been full time RVers for 8 yrs. During that time we wanted to do what you are doing but fell in love with an over 55 camp in Tucson where we bought a park model and have spent our past 4 winters happily keeping very busy within the park as volunteers.
    Now we are selling the park model to hit the road again but will not be gone for long periods of time due to buying a lovely home near the grandkids 🙂 Enjoy your travels and seeing the beautiful country. There are endless possibilities out there for you to enjoy and explore! warm regards, Pat

• Susan Myers November 9, 2015, 11:21 pm

Hi Pat!
      It sounds like you are having a great time too! Life is too short to do things that you hate to do. I love the fact that our home is on wheels and we can move on when we decide to. It makes things that much more exciting. Safe travels to you and hope you enjoy your new home!

• Charlotte November 7, 2015, 4:06 pm

Loved your video—I live in Aroostook County Maine but spent lots of great days visiting Bar Harbor. It is Beautiful country.
    Did you get to dig clams????
    Will be looking for your next video.

• Susan Myers November 9, 2015, 11:24 pm

Hi Charlotte!
      Thank you so much! The video was so fun to make. It brought back all the great memories from this summer and was a fun gift to give my coworkers. We harvested mussels, but did not dig clams. Had a great time finding them at low tide.

We are in St. Petersburg, FL now and I will definitely be doing a video at the end of the season. This park is very different, but beautiful in its own way.

Thanks so much for following along!

• NancyGrace November 7, 2015, 2:25 pm

What a wonderful memorial to your first KOA summer as your Life-On-The-Road journey begins!