How to make a Bullet Journal!

I currently write three different websites, and those websites are how I make money to support us while we travel on the road.  Because of that, I need a way to keep myself a bit more organized.  You see, I’m a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl.  And when I’m messing with my income, that doesn’t always make for a great plan.

Recently, I discovered Bullet Journaling.  It is a fun way of making life a bit more organized, and a great way to be a bit creative every single day.

how to make a bullet journal and stay organized

What is a Bullet Journal?

• It is a simple journal to help keep your life organized
  • For some, it is easier to remember things when you go through the process of writing them down.
  • A Bullet Journal is perfect for those that love to create to-do lists.
  • It is a simple or as complex as you like.
  • You can use it to record and organize basically any type of task, thought, or idea — daily, monthly, work, home, personal, school, or anything else you would like.

The main ideas behind the Bullet Journal is that you jot down quick, one line notes instead of writing long sentences.

how to make a bullet journal

Affiliate links to Amazon below:

Leatherbound Notebook
Washi Tape
Fine Line Marker
Water Color Markers

The journal that I chose for this project comes with grid pages that are already numbered along with a blank index page.

You do not have to use this particular notebook!  The fun thing about Bullet Journals is that they are uniquely your own!  Use what works for you.

how to make a bullet journal

Don’t get overwhelmed about making your journal look perfect.

It will probably take a few months to decide what works for you depending upon your personal taste and what works to keep you particularly organized.  There are so many ways to make this your own!

Sitcom 2 step option

I will show you what is working for me.

I begin each month with a calendar.  This is where the grid helps me a lot.  I draw out the calendar and fill in the days.  For the Sitcom, I document sponsored posts and social shares; for Daily Holiday Blog, I document the daily holidays.  I also note anything of interest like vet appointments.

how to make a bullet journal

At the end of each month, I make note of accomplishments and goals achieved, and then write down new goals for next month.

For me, this includes upcoming craft projects and social sharing.  It is my way of writing down things as I think of them so that I just might remember them later.

Click here for the next step!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2 3

• Lynda October 3, 2016, 9:02 am

WOW!!!! This is so much better then my little yellow tablet, he he. I love all the pictures and that cover is amazing!!! I can’t wait to find out how you did it. Only complaint…..I don’t see “call Lynda” anywhere in your schedule! LOL

• Susan Myers October 4, 2016, 12:53 am

Hi Lynda!
      Now that made me laugh! I’ll be sure to add some notations…. LOL!
      The cover itself was a ton of fun. I made it with polymer clay!

• Ann Dudley October 3, 2016, 6:44 am

I love the peacock, but could you maybe show your version of one with a butterfly?

• Susan Myers October 4, 2016, 12:52 am

Hi Ann!

I haven’t made one with a butterfly, but that is definitely a great idea!

• NancyGrace October 2, 2016, 2:15 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing the how-to of your adorable and efficient BULLET journal. i have been worrying my way through my search for the system that will work for me, and i think you just shared it with us all! i LOVE that you get to put so much ART–so much of YOURSELF–into it. What a BEAUTIFUL memory book to have in later years as you look back on this exciting part of your life’s adventures.

It looks like you do the daily sections literally one day at a time The only way i can think to do that–and have just enough space for each day’s list–is to refer back to the monthly grid at the start of each new day. Is that how you do it? One day at a time? Hey, even I can do that!

So thanks SO MUCH for sharing what works for you, because I think it is going to work for me, too. It’s always a joy to open up my mail in the morning and find a letter from my friend Suzy!

• Susan Myers October 4, 2016, 12:50 am

Hi Nancy Grace!
      Yes, I look forward to working on it most every night. I do each of the daily sections one day at a time. And of course I had to add lots of drawings because that is what I love. I was very much inspired by some of the great bullet journal pages I found on pinterest.
      Thank you for you sweet words. You always make my day!

• Lorena Boutin October 2, 2016, 6:41 am

I made the Sleepy Puppy quilt and gave it to a co-worker of my brother. They loved it. I also posted it on Craftsy to show off a little and it has had 93 views and several people wanting the pattern. Of course I send them to your website. This was the first quilt I had ever made and it was challenging for me to say the least but in the end I was pleased with how it came out. I love your Ideas and hearing about your travels.

• Susan Myers October 4, 2016, 12:46 am

Hi Lorena!

Thank you so much for sharing! I’m so glad you love the Sleepy Puppy pattern! It is one of my favorites. I just recently found out that I’m going to be a grandma, so I will be making another one soon! Thank you for your kind words!

• Monica October 1, 2016, 5:58 pm

I love your bullet journal! I just started one as well…I like the way it’s a collection of ongoing lists of projects and habits and inspiration. Unlike other journals I write in…I think this one will last a while and I’ll go back to it to reference stuff instead of rewriting the same lists in every new journal. Don’t know if that makes sense =) Love your quotes and illustrations and the bright colors!

• Susan Myers October 4, 2016, 12:42 am

Hi Monica!

Yes! That is what I love about it. It is a collection of anything including grocery lists, things you want to do in the future, and a great checklist to keep life a bit more organized.

Hope you are doing well! We are still near the Grand Canyon, but will be traveling to Tucson for the winter months. And…just found out I’m going to be a grandma!