Block of the Month Series: Words to Live By Quilt Pattern!

I am a huge fan of Redwork Embroidery.  Redwork embroidery is a simple technique, worked in a single shade of thread.  Back in the 1800s when it was first popular, red was the only dye that was colorfast.  When dying processes improved, other colors came into use, but the look of redwork has always remained a favorite.

Because the design is outlined with very little filled areas, redwork is quick and easy to complete. And it is the centerpiece for my new Free Quilt Pattern- Words to Live By.

quilt-pattern-words-to-live-by-love-birds12

This pattern will be offered for free to all Subscribers to Suzy’s Sitcom for the next 12 months!  A new block will come out around the 15th of each month featuring a new “word to live by”.  The final block instructions will also include details for layout, and finishing instructions for several different size quilts.

All subscribers will receive the new pattern each month in your email!

Already a Subscriber?

Go to the MEMBERS ONLY Page for full access to this pattern and many more!

Not a member yet?

Sitcom 2 step option

Don’t do quilting or embroidery?

These patterns can be used for many things.  Some ideas for use would be:

Faux Stained Glass
Drawing in pen and ink
Batik with Crayons
Painting on Mirrors
Decorative Painting
Fabric Painting

Create something amazing and be sure to share it with us!  I’d love to see what you come up with!

For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Adela October 16, 2017, 1:54 pm

loved your patterns, especially the word quilt;
    thank you!!

• Top Vendors PHP Scripts May 22, 2017, 3:50 pm

This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something
    which helped me. Thanks!

• Evie H May 4, 2017, 3:46 pm

Hi! I just found this lovely project. I downloaded the instructions for “Laughter” (block #4) but cannot find the first three blocks. How do I go about it? I’ve been to the members page but no luck locating the blocks. Thanks!

• Susan Myers May 5, 2017, 4:41 pm

Hi Evie,
      The server for my Members Only page had gone down. They are now all available on the Members only page! Would love to see what you make!

• Dolly Concha April 17, 2017, 10:03 pm

I am a member on your website and I enjoy all the crafts you come up with. I miss the 1st and 2nd pattern block on the quilt. I didnt get the LOVE and FAMILY pattern. I was wondering if I could just get the patterns and not the whole instructions. I already have that. I would appreciate it. Thank You so much! DConcha

• Susan Myers April 17, 2017, 11:40 pm

Hi Dolly!

All the patterns are available on the Members Only Page here: http://suzyssitcom.com/members-only. You can access this page at any time.

You can just print out the last page of the instructions for the individual pattern. I’d love to see what you create!

• Vickie Bodily March 23, 2017, 5:57 pm

I always pre-wash my material in cold water and use vinegar to set the colors. Red sets up really well when done this way and then dry it in the drier on regular heat. I haven’t had any trouble with bleeding red doing it this way. Love the quilt block patterns, going to make my hubby a new quilt with these patterns. Hopefully to be finished before Christmas of 2017.

• Susan Myers March 23, 2017, 10:36 pm

Hi Vickie!

Thanks for the tips! Red can be a difficult color to work with, but the
      end result is always so worth it. Thank you for the kind words! Would
      love to see what you come up with!

Suzy

• Barbara March 6, 2017, 12:12 pm

I have just discovered the redwork BOM and am going to jump in now (March). 1. Will I need a white fat quarter for each block or will I be able to get more than one 8″ square per fat quarter? 2. Same for the red fq’s … will I really need four per block? 3. I am afraid if I do all red (embroidery & settings) it will run when it is laundered. Anything I can do to prevent running? 4. Is the quilt going to be sashed?

• Susan Myers March 6, 2017, 8:16 pm

Hi Barbara!
      Great questions! Here are some answers for you.
      1. Since I am doing the blocks a month apart, each block is it’s own pattern. So I put in the instructions a fat quarter for each. However, you should be able to get at least two center panels out of a fat quarter.
      2. Each of the 12 blocks is the same piecing-wise. I purchased two yards of each red. That should be plenty for the entire quilt including borders.
      3. As with any fabric, I recommend pre-washing. However, regardless of how many times you prewash certain colors such as red, you will have color run. To avoid that, when you go to washing your quilt, wash it in cold water and use Shout’s Color Catchers. That should prevent any color run. Allow your quilt to hang-dry. Do not put in the dryer.
      4. I do not plan on sashing this quilt. I love the secondary pattern of the 12″ squares sewn directly to together. However, you can certainly add sashing! The finished quilt will be lap-size, but I will add instructions to make it larger.

Hope that helps! I will add these answers to my next March block. Thank you for the great questions! Next block “Patience” will be posted on March 15!

• Le samedy March 3, 2017, 3:16 am

It is beautiful,but I havé notre the first block,I am french and don’t speaker english very well.
    Thank you for your aid.

• Beverly Campbell February 15, 2017, 1:56 pm

It’s so much fun to get your craft projects and I have made a few of them. Just wondering if you have pictures of the Redwork Quilt finished so I could see the finished project. I want to put this on my list for projects this year.
    Thanks in advance…Beverly

• Susan Myers February 15, 2017, 9:37 pm

Hi Beverly!

I do not have photos of the finished quilt yet as I am designing it as we go. On this particular project, I am about a month ahead. At the end of the year, I will offer a complete pattern set of all 12 patterns along with finishing details. As soon as I get to the point where I have the entire quilt put together, I will definitely post photos.