Make Beautiful Memories with Plaster Casting!

Baby Love Sign

Begin by carefully sanding down the tops of the ankles so that when inverted, the feet are about the same height and sit flat on the wooden plaque.  Be very careful.  You do not want to ruin these tiny little feet.

Be sure to add a hanger to the back of the plaque before starting this project.  Cut fabric a little larger than the plaque.  Paint the front of the plaque with a layer of Mod Podge.  Lay the fabric over the plaque and add a second layer of Mod Podge on top of the fabric.  Allow it to dry.

Sitcom 2 step option

Use a craft knife to cut the fabric to the shape of the plaque.  Paint all edges and back of plaque with two coats of white acrylic paint.

Line up the letters about 1″ above the bottom of the plaque, leaving a space for the V shaped feet.  Glue in place with E6000 glue.

Set the feet in place in the shape of a V, and glue down with E6000 Glue.  You may have to add some props to hold them in place while the glue dries as I did in the photo above.  Glue a silk daisy to the left of the L.

When the glue has dried,  add several coats of Polymer Sculpey Glaze to the feet to protect them.

And you now have a beautiful memory to decorate with.  This will be a fun gift to give to my daughter when we make our way back to Georgia.  By then, that little baby will not be as little anymore.  But we have a great way to remember how tiny she once was!

Want more Plaster Crafts?

How to make Molds with Sand!

How to make a Faux Porcelain Frame

Plaster Casting Leaves Tutorial

You can keep up with the Sitcom on Facebook for daily updates!

For hundreds of crafty tutorials for all ages, be sure to visit my Tutorial Page!

Pages: 1 2

• NancyGrace August 17, 2017, 5:10 pm

ADORABLE!!! Thinking of my two-year old niece and realizing her wrinkly little feet aren’t as wrinkly now with a full year of walking on them. But still–she will never be THIS little again!

Thanks for showing us all how to do it. EYE-OPENING!

• Lynda July 24, 2017, 9:33 am

That is so cute!! I’ll have to remember this when Katie is born.

• Lindy July 22, 2017, 9:03 am

This is adorable!! My only wish is that I had thought of this some 17 years ago when my granddaughter was born. However, I did make several castings of her hands, feet, and holding daddy’s hand over the next 3 or 4 years and put them on a plaque. Precious memories for sure. For those worried about the molding product being harmful, it is the same or similar to what the dentist uses to make castings of your teeth so will not harm the precious one in any way. Love that molding kit and you can do so much with it! Love this one you made, Suzy.

• Susan Myers July 22, 2017, 8:38 pm

Thank you so much! This project was near and dear to my heart.

• Lorean July 22, 2017, 7:39 am

Hermoso trabajo!!! Me encantó!!! Lo voy a tener en cuenta para decorar un primer año o un Bautismo! Gracias!!

• Barbara Bibby July 22, 2017, 1:04 am

Great job. Very cute. Was it difficult to remove the baby from the mold? I’m anxious to try this with my 2 year old niece. Even better than the plaster hand prints we made in disposable pie plates and painted (probably lead based paint) silver when I was a kid.

• Susan Myers July 22, 2017, 8:43 pm

Hi Barbara!

Be sure to add water to baby’s hand or foot beforehand. For me, the hand was more difficult to get out than the feet. In either case, the mold itself hardens to a rubbery consistency and it is relatively easy to remove. Would love to see what you come up with!