Feature Friday- Vintage Bouquet Tutorial

Create a beautiful vintage bouquet from seeds wrapped in cellophane!  Simple tutorial based on a vintage craft kit, modernized for today!

blue vintage bouquet made from seeds

I come from a long line of crafters, but I have to say that I most likely got my crafting gene from my grandmother.  She was a master crocheter, master seamstress, she gardened and canned a lot of her own food, and she worked full time while doing it all.  She was the master of crafting ADD.

When I was younger, she would send me occasional kits from a craft club that she belonged to called National Handcraft.  For a small monthly fee, she received a craft kit each month.  They always contained everything that she needed to complete the project of the month.  Established around 1947, the National Handcraft Club existed for about 25 years. There are similar clubs that exist now, but nothing that brings back the charm and memories that these kits do.
When my grandmother passed away a few years ago, I inherited all of her craft kits that she had stored in her attic.  In storage for many years, some had deteriorated, but I was able to sort through everything and put together the components for about 10 different kits.  This tutorial is for one of those kits.

Dried Baby Lima Beans
Dried Small Pea Beans
Blue Cellophane Sheets
Lavendar Cellophane Sheet
Greenery
Florists Tape
Small wires
Green Styrofoam
White Doily
Ribbon
vintage blue floral bouquet made from seeds
This kit is dated 1972, so keep in mind that the beans that I am using are nearly 40 years old!  I was amazed at how well preserved they were and was determined to use the kit’s original components if I could.  But I do plan on planting a couple of these beans just to see if they grow.  Wouldn’t that be cool?

vintage blue floral bouquet made from seeds
I began by cutting the blue cellophane sheets into roughly 2 1/2″ squares.  They don’t have to be exact.  (In order to duplicate this project, you can purchase cellophane sheets in all colors from any gift wrapping supply store or party center).  The lavendar sheet is then cut into 1 1/2″ squares.

vintage blue floral bouquet made from seedsvintage blue floral bouquet made from seeds
For each blossom, you use 5 Lima Beans, and one small pea bean, 5 pieces of blue cellophane, 1 piece of lavendar, a 2″ piece of wire, and about 10″ of florists tape.

vintage blue floral bouquet made from seeds
Place the bean on the cellophane sheet as shown, fold it over top of the bean, fold over each side and then twist snugly around the bean, creating a “stem”.  This will hold so that you can set it aside and start the next one.

Once you have wrapped 5 large beans and one small lavendar bean, insert the wire into the last twist of the cellophane stem on one of the beans.  As you hold it in place, secure the end of the florists tape tightly around the stem and stretch the tape as you wrap it around it.  (This makes the tape sticky).  Add the center lavendar bean, wrapping as you go, and then the other 4 large beans, securing them with the tape one at a time.

vintage blue floral bouquet made from seeds
Bring the remaining length of tape around the ends of the cellophane stems and wrap firmly around the wire.  Then shape the petals by pushing them out into the position that you prefer.  I made 25 of these.  They take a bit of patience, but are easy to do while watching reality tv.  Ha!

vintage blue floral bouquet made from seeds
The white doily is  place under the styrofoam disc and held in place with a rubber band at the top edge, creating the gathers.  I then tied a blue ribbon around it and place the flowers into the styrofoam, arranging them in a sweet little bouquet.

vintage blue floral bouquet made from seeds
The final touch is adding some small greenery to spruce it up and there you go!  A sweet little bouquet!  Or as the craft kit states, “A bouquet that’s full of beans…a perky touch of whimsy and a gay array of color to enchant all who see it!”  Are you enchanted?

vintage bouquet blue made from seeds

If you enjoyed this tutorial, you may like my tutorial on Hand-dying Yarn.  Another old art that is enjoying a comeback.

Or check out my Batiking with Crayons Tutorial.  This old art deserves a second look too.  A simple and unique way to create the batik look for pennies.

• Linda April 16, 2013, 12:01 pm

I love this. I was a member of that craft club and I made this very same craft!!! I loved it and I will def make this again, I’d love to see the rest of the ones you found. I’m sure I made some of those too!

• Make handmade October 3, 2011, 4:49 am

Great tutorial, i Love it, thanks for sharing

• Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum May 30, 2011, 5:29 am

You did so much work and made a completely beautiful project. Thank you for sharing!

• Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma May 12, 2011, 1:28 am

I love that you come from a lineage of crafters. How cool to inherit all those kits!

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this week…

• Becolorful May 9, 2011, 4:51 am

That is really pretty. I never would have guessed looking at the picture what you used to make it. Amazing and what a fun story to go along with it. Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday.
    Pam

• Pamela May 7, 2011, 10:34 pm

This is amazing! Your kits will warm your heart with the memories you have of your grandmother.

Blessings,
    Pamela

• {nifty thrifty things} May 7, 2011, 9:46 pm

Wow, I'm impressed! Love it!
    Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again this week! 🙂
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

• Pop Art Minis May 5, 2011, 2:11 am

Beautiful and awesome tute too! Thanks for sharing over at Pop Art Minis Wednesday Buzz!

• Fabric Bows and More May 4, 2011, 9:11 pm

Very impressed! Please come and share it at my link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

• Melissa May 4, 2011, 2:57 pm

I love this! Bean who knew. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

Melissa

MyCraftieLife.Blogspot.com

• Kathryn Michelle Jenkins May 3, 2011, 11:33 pm

I'm very impressed! really cool blog. I'm glad I found it.

kathryn

• Jill May 3, 2011, 10:58 pm

How gorgeous! I can't believe the beans were still ok – will be interesting to see if they grow too!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• Michelle L. May 3, 2011, 8:25 pm

Wow. This is the coolest method – what an amazing flower it makes! And the full bouquet is pure awesomeness!

• Willing Hearts - Busy Hands May 3, 2011, 7:21 pm

You are so very talented to make something so beautiful!
    Mrs. Hearts

• Dolly May 3, 2011, 5:35 pm

Wow-This is so pretty! Who knew Lima-beans could be so beautiful?:)

• Amanda May 3, 2011, 1:52 pm

I featured this today over at Today's Top 20!

Amanda

• Krafty Kat May 3, 2011, 1:05 pm

I am quite enchanted! Love that it's vintage and it really is beautiful. Your grandmother sounds like she was quite a lady. Mine was too- seems like women of today are missing something their generation had. We are probably just too spoiled, haha! Thanks for linking up!

• Anonymous May 3, 2011, 11:57 am

I'm looking for ideas to decorate my 23 yr old son's headstone. It's in the shape of Texas and he was a UT fan with an orange motorcycle and orange cowboy boots. He was a very manly man and worked on a cattle ranch. Want to put something on his grave every month. Any ideas or web sites you could send me to.
    Thanks,
    Shirilla
    dak_5100na@hotmail.com

• Suzy Myers May 3, 2011, 10:22 am

Hi Kelley! Thanks for the tip! I edited it to go to the correct link.

Thanks so much for stopping by and let me know how the projects go!

• Kelley May 3, 2011, 10:17 am

Your batik link dosen't go to the crayons tutorial correctly. It goes to the yarn dye tutorial, too– which I immediately shared with my knitting daughter when I clicked that link. Easy!

• Kimberley May 3, 2011, 9:02 am

I LOVE this tutorial! You could totally update this as a favor bouquet by using Jordan almonds and M & M's I think! 🙂 I'm definitely going to be trying one with the beans and peas though.

• Mimi May 2, 2011, 9:30 pm

That is so sweet – I'm so glad you were able to inherit her kits. It turned out so beautiful. Your Grandmother would be so proud of you! Thanks for sharing your bouquet!

• Nikki ~ Let's Craft!! May 1, 2011, 5:16 pm

Hey there I am your newest follower! Hope you stop by to see me. Your blog is way too cute!!
    I also have a linky page that totally plugs your linky page!!!

&

~Nikki

• Katherines Corner May 1, 2011, 1:02 pm

Suzy this is lovely! Well done. Hugs

• imsteelefullofscrap May 1, 2011, 11:56 am

Wow your flowers turned out beautiful!!! Thank u for sharing how you made them!!!

• Deneen April 30, 2011, 3:57 pm

Wow I remember my mom getting those craft kits! We look forward to them coming!!! Thanks for the memory! These are adorable! Love it!
    dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

• charlino April 30, 2011, 1:00 am

THE BIGGEST HUGS IN THE WORLD TO YOU! The National Handcraft Society was a wonderful organization, and I still have several old craft kits from the early 1970s. Your bouquet full of beans is lovely, and I think your Grandma would be proud. Can't wait to see if your bean seeds sprout.

• Lynda April 29, 2011, 5:15 pm

I'm enchanted! hehe, hey you let me know if one of those beans grows a plant! That would be funny!

• Lisa April 29, 2011, 1:41 pm

This is gorgeous! It's great that you have all these little crafts and kits that were passed down to you. Very sweet!

• A Few Pennies April 29, 2011, 12:51 pm

How cute is that! I don't know if I would have the patience for this project but how pretty these are. Thank you for sharing–you have much talent! Patty