Feature Friday-Handquilted Quilted Wall Hangings

I having a slight problem meeting deadlines already this month and I’m currently plugging away at my April UFO, trying desperately to finish it by this weekend in time to present it to my mom along with her Mother’s Day present.  Which, by the way, she already knows about since she reads my blog.  Ha!  Guess, I’ll have to be less diligent about presenting my current projects if they are potential gifts.  Or maybe at least put a huge disclaimer at the beginning of the post that reads, “If you are my Mom, quit reading now!”.

Anyway, I thought since I’m in the midst of hand-quilting, I would show you some of the wall quilts that I’ve made.  After the Nifty Fifty 50 State quilt swap had ended, some of us decided to participate in a new swap.  We would swap 6” squares of monthly themed blocks.  There were 25 of us participating, so we would each do 25 blocks of our own design for the theme and in return, receive 25 blocks back, one from each participant.

So now, I have 25 blocks for each month of the year, waiting to be made into wall quilts.  The plan is to have a spot assigned in my livingroom and change the quilt out each month.  Well, actually, I’m missing November.  Seems that I left my little package of quilt blocks at work and someone ran off with them.  I’m still very bummed about it.  When I finally decide to make my November wall quilt, I’ll just have to start from scratch.

My monthly wall quilts are officially members of my UFO stash.  (Unfinished Objects).  And I hope to add some of them to my UFO Challenge this year along with my other projects.

This is my January wall quilt.  One thing that I found is that one person’s idea of 6” blocks can certainly vary from another.  The very first step in assembling a quilt made from many contributors is to square up all the blocks and make sure they are all the same size.  Cut down those that are too big and add a strip of fabric around those that are too small.

My February wall quilt.  On this quilt I learned to cut border strips on the bias.  Otherwise, they stretch as you sew them together.  I ended up having to compensate in my quilt stitches for the extra fabric.  Other than that, I am particularly fond of this one.

I then skipped to May so that I’d have a nice themed quilt for the spring, since this was already several years in the making.  One of the fun things about this is not only putting the blocks together in the best order, but creating a great border to go with the theme.  I just love my butterfly border!

I am currently working on August.  Yep, I skipped some more months.  Since this project is taking me so long, I thought I’d at least have one up for each season to start.  Then I will start to fill in the blanks…

Eventually I will have them all completed.  And I’m sure that in the meantime, I’ll start another huge project.

I just can’t help myself…

If this type of project interests you, check out my Sleepy Time Doorstop Tutorial.  A cute little way to make an easy little quilt and a cute doorstop!

Or if you are interested in the background story of my Fifty State Quilt, check out this post!

• Beverly January 3, 2017, 4:23 pm

As soon as I finish purging my useless items, I’m going to start quilting again. My grandma subscriped to Wookbasket and I found quilt blocks for states. I had piles of these magazines, so I just tore out the pages that were of interest to me. I even found patterns for tatting. My other grandma taught me to tat. For my folks 50th wedding anniversary, I quilted the Lover’s Knot pattern. Did you know that when you finish a quilt that you should put your name, date, and state on it? By the way, my folks have past their 60th wedding anniversary!

• Carolyn July 10, 2011, 7:51 am

I love hand quilted items… and these looks amazing. Love the colorings.

• Rhinestone Beagle May 19, 2011, 12:53 am

This is an amazingly ambitious project and I can't wait to see more of your finished quilts. Thanks so much for linking up. Can't wait to see what you have for this week.

• SewHappyGeek May 16, 2011, 9:41 am

Wow, I love the idea! I am too lazy to do 12, so maybe I'll do 4 seasons!
    That's awful about someone nicking your blocks – some people just don't give a crap about anyone but themselves, right? Ugh.

• While They Snooze May 12, 2011, 5:14 pm

Wow! I just finished my very first quilt yesterday and I think I have "the bug" now! I love seeing all the work that goes into them. These are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) May 12, 2011, 1:58 pm

Your quilts are so pretty. Love the fun colours. I love to quilt too.

• Cecily May 11, 2011, 3:18 pm

Wow, these are all beautiful! Great stuff!

• Cindy May 9, 2011, 6:54 pm

Wow these are beautiful! I love the idea of a monthly quilt that is changed with time. Doing it as a swap is a great idea. These are simply beautiful!

If I see anyone with a November quilt in their house, I will be sure to ask how they cam about collecting their blocks 🙂

Cindy
    fluffysheepquilting.blogspot.com

• AmieAnn May 9, 2011, 10:58 am

Is there anything you CAN'T do woman? You are amazing! These are soo beautiful and sweet.. you're Mom is soo lucky to be getting these~ Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

• Jill May 9, 2011, 9:36 am

What fantastic wall quilts! I LOVE the wintery one the most- but all are brilliant!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• creativejewishmom/sara May 9, 2011, 6:55 am

you are amazing! monthly wall quilts, wow! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday.

• Kelly May 8, 2011, 4:25 pm

this is such a wonderful idea, the 50 state swap was so cool nice that you could carry it on. Thanks for linking up to Eat, Grow, Sew — and for the opportunity to link up to your great site!

• T's Daily Treasures May 6, 2011, 7:26 pm

Your quilts are beautiful. Love the idea of changing them out monthly. And what a fun theme for a swap. I would love to quilt, but sewing is not my forte. I have so little patience for tiny stitches. How awful that someone took off with the blocks you left at work. I once took a cross-stitching to Ikea to get a frame and walked away with the frame but not the cross-stitching — I was trying to find just the right frame for it and had left the stitching on the shelf. I even called the store that same afternoon when I realized what happened, but no one had turned it in so had to do the whole thing over again since it was an intended gift. :/ Thanks for sharing your lovely handiwork. Best wishes, Tammy

• The Answer Is Chocolate May 6, 2011, 3:45 pm

So awesome! Someday I will actually make a quilt. Thanks so much for linking up to my BFF link party!

• chillin with Quillin May 6, 2011, 1:39 pm

they are beautiful and colorful!!!
    Paula

• Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home May 6, 2011, 12:37 pm

The quilts are beautiful, thanks so much for linking up!