Feature Friday: Box of Chocolates Pin Cushion Tutorial

chocolate box pincushion tutorial

Hi, my name is Suzy and I’m a chocoholic. I hang my head in shame. I have been know to consume an entire box of chocolates in one sitting. So needless to say, I’m kind of a fan of the stuff. Unfortunately, I appear to be allergic to the stuff as it seems to make my hips swell up. And it has the unusual effect of making my clothing shrink. So I have to limit my intake if you know what I mean.

I’m also an avid user of pin cushions.  So naturally, it occured to me to combine the two. Remember those old commercials- “You got my peanut butter in my chocolate! No, you got your chocolate in my peanut butter!” No? Well take my word for it. It’s kind of like that. Ya know, I always thought chocolate and peanut butter should like get married… but that is a whole other issue.  Anyway, I decided to create a pin cushion that looks like a box of chocolates. Because the world needs more chocolate. That is a fact.  And this is the kind of chocolate that doesn’t shrink clothes.  The best of both worlds.  Well, almost….anyway…

One 8″ diameter round box
1 fat quarter of decorative fabric for the outside of the box
Fabric for the chocolates in dark brown, medium brown and white
Wired ribbon
Puff paint- I used white, peaches ‘n cream and butterscotch
Gold Candy Wrappers (you can find them at any craft store or baking supply)
Fiber fill
Gold spray paint
Fancy Trim
1/2″ gold ribbon
Hot glue
Small piece of batting

I started by spraying the inside of the lid and the round box gold.  Then taking your cardboard and using the bottom of your box, trace and cut out a circle. This will be the raised shelf inside the box to sit your “candy” on. Cut the styrofoam piece about 2″ inches tall and glue onto the inside bottom of the box to hold the cardboard shelf up. Glue the cardboard on top of it.

Measure the height and circumference of your box, in my case my box was 3″ inches tall and 24″ inches around. Cut your fabric designated for the outside of the box the exact height of the box and about an inch longer than the circumference. Use hot glue to attach the fabric to the outside of the box.

Use the lid of the box to trace a circle on the back of your outside fabric giving it an extra 1/4″ allowance and cut the circle of fabric to glue to the lid of the box, overlapping on the edges. Also use the lid to trace a circle on the piece of batting.  This gives the top a softer feel.  Glue the batting on the top of the lid and then glue the fabric down on top, overlapping it down onto the side of the lid. This doesn’t have to be neat- we will be covering all edges with trim and ribbon.

First use the gold ribbon to cover the outside edge of the lid, glueing it down with hot glue.  Cutting your trim to fit, glue the trim to the outside top edge of the lid, covering up the overlapping fabric and the raw edge of the lid.

Glue trim and/or ribbon to the top and bottom edges of the box.

Now lets start on the candy! Create two templates out of craft paper. One is a 4″ diameter circle, the other is 5″ x 3″ oblong. Use these templates to cut candies out of your dark brown, medium brown and white fabric. I cut about 16 pieces, varying the fabric colors and shapes.

Take thread and sew a running stitch around the outside edge of the wrong side of the fabric. Do not tie off. Instead, pull the thread to gather the edges. Add fiberfill to the inside, stuffing and shaping until you get the desired look, then pull the thread tight and knot. Do this with each of your candies.

Using your hot glue, glue each candy into a wrapper and then glue them into the box, placing them in a pattern of your choice. Be sure to butt them up together and fill the box with candies.

Using the puff paint, add swirls of “icing” to your candies to make them look real. Puff paint takes a little while to dry, so give it plenty of time before you try putting on the lid.

The final touch is a bow made of wired ribbon. Hot glue this to the top of the box.

Then place it on the coffee table in your living room and wait. It won’t be long before someone tries to get some candy and you can laugh at them. Or you could use it as a pin cushion. Whatever floats your boat. Me personally, I enjoy the thrill of the deception. “Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you are going to get”. And in this case, really, you don’t.

If you liked this tutorial, check out my flip flop pillow tutorial.  Another fun use for fabric fat quarters!

Or if your are liking that faux thing, check out my Faux Textured Chair Rail.  Create an awesome looking chair rail for pennies!

• Bobbie July 13, 2013, 4:54 pm

Have you seen the quilled chocolates? They are so real looking. I want to make some of them but the books are a bit out of my range (on disability) so unless I can get some free ones I will have to fake it. I am pretty good at looking at a picture and recreating it. Let me know what you think about the chocolates. I did find one tutorial on a simple round chocolate.

• Linda February 11, 2013, 11:40 am

This is a neat (scrumptious) idea. I hope you don’t mind if I adapt it a little. I was thinking that, rather than have the bottom half of the box filled with a block of Styrofoam, I would carve out a ring and use the central space to store the pins plus, maybe, some needles and thread too.

• Handcrafted Pretty August 31, 2011, 11:25 pm

Hi Suzy, This chocolate box is up my alley! I posted this with links back here to your blog. This is the place:

Thanks for sharing this no calorie treat!

• Hi, I'm Suz!! December 28, 2010, 10:20 pm

Too cute!! They look soo real!!

• Stacy December 28, 2010, 4:22 pm

That is so stinkin' adorable!

• Michelle November 29, 2010, 9:07 pm

That is absolutely great

• Jami September 13, 2010, 11:56 pm

This is so adorable! What a fun little project.

• michelle@somedaycrafts September 11, 2010, 2:48 pm

Such a fun idea! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. This is one of favorites of yours!

• Cheryl September 6, 2010, 4:24 pm

I've featured you in this week's Craftastic Monday @ Sew Can Do. Stop by to grab a Featured On button:)

• the cape on the corner September 5, 2010, 9:20 pm

that looks great. good enough to eat. in fact, i now have to see if i have any chocolates!

• Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy September 4, 2010, 6:09 am

What a fun project. The fake chocolates are pretty cute! A little girl might have a lot of fun with that. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday!

• Joy September 3, 2010, 9:15 pm

You are definitely a favorite at Make it Fantabulous Friday! Check back for your feature and grab a featured button!

• Ginger September 2, 2010, 10:09 pm

OMGosh! That's so cute and they look real too! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

• Moogie September 2, 2010, 5:55 pm

Great posting. I'm your newest follower.

• Joy September 2, 2010, 3:59 pm

This is super cute! I too am a chocoholic. I am your newest follower and would love to have you join my link up on Friday.

• the momma (aka Shannon) September 2, 2010, 2:18 pm

wow. just, WOW! that is unbelievably adorable! you should never EVER be ashamed of being a chocoholic. you are in good company, my friend!
    i just can't believe how stinkin' cute your pin cushion came out!
    way to think outside the box lol ;o)

• Sourkraut September 2, 2010, 1:09 pm

These are so cute! I doubt I'd have the patience to do all that even though the results are so great! I had to laugh at your bit about being allergic to chocolate. I think we all suffer from that affliction. Spotted your link at Black Kat's Design's link party.

• Van September 2, 2010, 2:49 am

Way too cute, you're going to fool so many friends!

• billiemonster September 1, 2010, 9:13 pm

Aw, so adorable! I too have that same reaction to chocolate…swollen hips! Argh! Saw you at Night Owl Crafting. :o)

• Michele September 1, 2010, 1:49 am

you are addicted. so am I! your box of chocolates pincushion looks good enough to eat… hmm, time for a fix. gotta go! :)

• JHill August 31, 2010, 3:46 pm

That is one cute pincushion! Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

• Terrell August 31, 2010, 4:11 am

Cannot get enough of how precious and sweet this is!! Love it girl!! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and would love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I would also like to invite you to link up to my party every Friday @ Fabulous Friday Finds! Hope to see you there!!
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

• Kaysi August 31, 2010, 12:21 am

So cute and they look so real!

• Angela - Thrifty Homemaker August 30, 2010, 10:40 pm

I love this craft. It is such a neat idea.

• Eve August 30, 2010, 2:36 pm

Hiya, this is soo soooo pretty! What a great idea, I will definitely be trying this for a gift to someone. You are so funny!

I saw you over at theGirlCreative. Please visit me too! Eveshouse.blogspot.com

• Lulubelle August 30, 2010, 3:27 am

OMGOSH That is so totally cute!! I am making one!! If you love chocolate check out Dove Chocolate Discoveries YUMMO!! or contact me for more info!

• CraftyMummy August 30, 2010, 12:38 am

Such a cute idea! Great gift for a chocoholic sewer.

• Erin August 29, 2010, 6:20 pm

That is too flippin' cute!!

• the thrifty ba August 29, 2010, 2:36 pm

coming from cheri…looks yummy! and beautiful!

• Melissa August 29, 2010, 1:56 pm

That is super cute.

• Deb August 29, 2010, 12:48 pm

I, too, am a CHOCOHOLIC!! But, I'm gonna shout it…;)!! Your pin cushion is just too cute!! I'm visiting from It's So Very Creative!!!

• Funky Junk Interiors August 29, 2010, 4:04 am

You got me! I thought they were real chocolates inside a pincushion box! How clever is this?!?

• Charmaine August 28, 2010, 6:52 pm

I really love this! I'm a chocoholick too and seem to have the same symptoms as you! Thanks for sharing.

• Moe August 27, 2010, 2:50 pm

This is so cute! Saw it on Chic on a Shoestring's Friday blog party. So glad I popped by!

• The Answer Is Chocolate August 27, 2010, 2:47 pm

OK I came over from New Friend Fridays at TGC, saw chocoholic and it was all over. Newest follower! Cute cute cute idea. It's strange, I have that exact same allergy! Love your blog name. Stop by if you get a chance http://answerischocolate.blogspot.com/

• Ann @ makethebestofthings August 27, 2010, 2:38 pm

Love this little box of chocolates! Your instructions are great and you write so well. This came out so cute, you clever lady. I, too, am "allergic" to chocolate. Sigh.

• Norene August 27, 2010, 1:46 pm

I loved the box of chocolates and I bet some people will be making that for Christmas gifts. The slide show of your products for sale with the prices is a great idea. I hope you do well with it. I gotta go now, I seem to be getting a craving for some chocolate, I don't know why.

• Lisa August 27, 2010, 1:40 pm

OMG, this is SO cute! You are so creative! What a great idea!