Skiing Penguin Ornaments Tutorial

by Susan Myers on November 26, 2010

Create a cute penguin ornament from a blown egg, a toilet paper tube and a bit of paint!  A great kids craft or even adult-type project and looks incredibly cute on the tree or for holiday decorating!  Want to know how to make them?

penguin ornament tutorial

I’m quite covered up at the moment trying to get my ornaments completed for our club meeting next weekend. As usual, I pick something difficult and time-consuming and I’m struggling at the last moment to complete them. I will reveal them to you next week. Hopefully, they will all be done. In the meantime, I wanted to take a small break and put together some quick little ornaments based on one that I received several years ago.

penguin ornament tutorial

This poor little penguin has lost his ski. Considering he is made out of an egg, I guess he’s lucky that is all he has lost. But I will find his little ski when I pull out the rest of my ornaments and put him back together. And I will make him some little friends!

Blown chicken eggs
Acrylic Paint
One toilet paper roll
Colored Card Stock
Round toothpicks
Tacky Glue
Hot glue
Ribbon
Mod Podge
Clear Glitter

Edited to add: These chicken eggs were blown first.  You can use the old fashioned method of punching holes in the top and bottom of the egg, stir the yolk with a toothpick and blow the contents out.  Or there are tools on the market that actually make it quite easy- see my Faberge Egg Tutorial.

I used my little muffin pan as a drying station. It keeps the eggs from doing what they tend to do- roll around. I began by painting each egg black.  Sit them aside to allow them to dry.

penguin ornament tutorialpenguin ornament tutorial

I then cut two sets of skis from the toilet paper tube. I have to tell you that it is amazing what you can do with these things. I have been collecting them for a while and they come in very handy every time I need a scrap of cardboard or two. I cut the skis about three inches long and about 3/8″ wide and rounded the top end of each. Then I curved the rounded end up and painted them with acrylic paint on both sides.

penguin ornament tutorial

Using a tiny brush and white acrylic paint, I then painted a snowflake on each ski. Set them aside to dry.

penguin ornament tutorial

For the ski poles, I cut one of the pointed ends off of round toothpicks and painted them silver. An easy way to paint them without making a huge mess is to stick them into a styrofoam ball, then when one end is dry, reverse them and paint the other end.

penguin ornament tutorial

Paint a white belly on each egg, and two white eyes. When dry, paint in the pupils.

penguin ornament tutorial

Cut a diamond shaped piece of orange cardstock, fold it in half for the beak and glue on with tacky glue.

penguin ornament tutorial

Cut feet out of the orange cardstock, and wings out of black cardstock. Glue them on using hot glue. Glue the skis onto the feet with hot glue and glue the pole into his “hands” with tacky glue. Make earmuffs by quilling a 1/4″ strip of cardstock into a tight quill and glue. You can find some easy quilling instructions in this tutorial.   Cut a 1/8″ strip for the earmuff band and glue down at each earmuff with tacky glue.

penguin ornaments tutorial

Finally, make a loop with ribbon and glue to his head with hot glue. This will be for hanging him on the tree. If you just want him for a shelf sitter- skip this step.

Now coat the entire thing with a good coating of Mod Podge. This will add a finished shine to him and stiffen all the cardstock. Be sure to coat everything. Once this has dried, add more Mod Podge to the white belly and sprinkle some clear glitter on for a bit of sparkle.

penguin ornament tutorial

And there they are… ready to hit the slopes!

For over 100 more tutorials for all ages, be sure to visit my Tutorial Page!

suzy_sign

{ 31 comments… read them below or add one }

1 The Stuffed Cactus Co. December 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

This are wonderful. Hadn’t done egg crafts in a long time. Will have to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas! https://www.facebook.com/TheStuffedCactusCo

2 Bruce November 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for a great blog
Christmas Decoration ideas

3 Anonymous November 14, 2011 at 12:34 am

I couldn't get a good idea of the shape of the wings so I just winged it. LOL…I made them teardrop shape and used silver wire for th ski poles. They are really cute!

4 Barbara November 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm

You make the cutest things. Thanks for all you do and share. Hugs. Barb

5 Julia @AllFreeChristmasCrafts June 3, 2011 at 8:36 pm

This is so adorable. I would love to feature your projects on AllFreeChristmasCrafts! Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in. My e-mail is jlitz (at) primecp (dot) com. Have a great day!

6 Sim December 17, 2010 at 4:38 am

Just in the process of making these with the kids. We are having a few patience issues! Mine don't look anywhere near as good as yours, but I think i'll make a few more and perfect my techniques. They are totally adorable!

7 eof777 December 14, 2010 at 12:12 am

Stopping by and following your blog from Lamby's blog hop…
Have a happy holiday season!
Best,
Elizabeth

8 Sara vs. Sarah December 10, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I just made some egg ornaments, too! Mine were a bit more traditional. Still, I didn't think egg crafts had such a wide audience! –Sarah

9 Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming December 6, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Suzy – These are so creative! Amazing job! Thanks so much for linking to the party – I greatly appreciate it! I featured these today – stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a lovely week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

10 Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy December 6, 2010 at 8:55 am

Very fun! I make my own ornaments every year! These are looking adorable. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays!

11 Christie, Describe Happy December 3, 2010 at 2:39 pm

My MIL is having a penguin themed holiday party and I think these would be so adorable to add to her tablescape. I've never blown eggs, but have always wanted a reason to try! Thank you!! (found you from Paisley Passions)

12 AllieMakes! December 3, 2010 at 4:01 am

Well, Aren't those Adorable! Fantastic job! I can't wait to try these!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

13 Nikki December 3, 2010 at 2:25 am

Those are soooooooooooooo cute!!! Thanks so much for linking them up! :)

14 Meg December 3, 2010 at 2:02 am

So cute! I love the use of the blown eggs, they make perfect penguins!

15 Holly December 2, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Too darn cute! They look like a lot of work but totally worth the effort.

16 Show Me Mama December 2, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Wow, that is a fantastic idea. I can definitely do this with my daughter. She will just love it. You are indeed creative.
I am also your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

17 Stacey December 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Eeeeeeeeee! I love these. How absolutely adorable.

18 Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk December 1, 2010 at 12:24 am

Oh my goodness. These are so darling! All ready for the cold of winter. Great project, Suzy! Thanks so much for sharing it on the Boardwalk. It's a marvelous "bragable".

19 Emily @ LaForce Be With You November 30, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Too cute! I love penguins!

20 Chris Walsh December 12, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Try egg shaped dried mini gourds – they are great! no blowing or breaking as easy as eggshells.

21 michelle dean November 30, 2010 at 6:11 pm

These are SO cute! I am horrible at not cracking the eggs while getting the stuff out, but I will try anyways! I would love for you to link up to my party too! http://polkadotsandpizza.blogspot.com/

22 Danielle November 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I found your craft through the Boardwalk! This is so adorable!

23 DANA November 30, 2010 at 3:04 am

This is a great post! I would love for you to link up to my Strut Your Stuff Party! http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-up-giveaway-and-winner.html

24 Student of Scripture November 29, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I wonder if left over plastic Easter eggs would work as well! Might need to glue the egg closed first and then possibly use different paint made for plastic. I'm afraid we'd break these blown eggs between the years!

25 the cape on the corner November 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm

these are so stinking cute! i love them! popping over from craft o maniac.

26 Michelle November 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Oh my gosh I LOVE these! I am obsessed with penguins! Once my sister made me one of these and she made the skis with Popsicle sticks, and made a tiny little hat.

- Michelle @ Bunch of Craft

27 Jenny November 28, 2010 at 9:57 pm
28 Barb November 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Cute, Cute, Cute!! My son loves penguins! So I am always now attracted to them in any form. Thanks for sharing,
Barb

29 Suzy November 27, 2010 at 3:54 am

Yes, the eggs were blown first. I'll go ahead and add an edit to make it more clear.

thanks!

30 Beth @ Wiccan Make Some Too November 26, 2010 at 11:42 pm

It doesn't say so but did you "blow" the eggs out first? They are adorable ornaments.

31 Le Chateau des fleurs by Frenchy November 26, 2010 at 10:26 pm

OH This is super cute !!!
Happy blog hop !
Come see my blog and follow back !
XO