How to Carve a Flower from a Cantaloupe!

Ever wonder how folks carve fruit into flowers and such?  After a bit of practice, I learned how to carve a flower out of a cantaloupe!  Want to see how I did it?

carving flower from cantaloupe

My sister is a real social butterfly.  And a great party planner.  Every year, she throws the annual family Luau which consists of lots and lots of fancy tropical-like food, games and great music.  And when you show up at her house, it is like being transported to an island oasis as she goes all out on the decorations.  It is always a big hit every year.

This year in an attempt to make me more social, she has been sending me email after email about all the games and competitions she has planned, trying her best to get me to commit to something.  A treasure hunt?  Nah, I’ll just watch.  An eating contest?  Really.  I’ll pass.  How about a belly flopping contest?  Seriously?  I think not.

There was a pause in emails for a few days and then she hit me with, “A fruit carving contest”? Well, we have certainly thrown down the gauntlet here.  She knows I can’t pass up a crafty challenge.  She knows me pretty well.  So after some research, here is my official first try at fruit carving.

One cantaloupe (the less ripe, the better)
Carrot Peeler
A sharp knife
Lazy Susan (you know, besides me)
A bunch of patience
how to carve fruit into a flower

Start by using the carrot peeler to take the outside skin off.  This was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.

how to carve fruit into a flower

Slice the bottom off to create a flat area for it to side on.

how to carve fruit into a flower

Place a towel on your Lazy Susan and then the cantaloupe on top.  Begin by using a sharp knife to cut a circle into the top of the cantaloupe.

how to carve fruit into a flower

Cut deep little notches into the center of the circle to mimic the center of a flower.  Then use the knife to draw an outline of the first row of petals.  Then at each petal, start digging out cantaloupe, stopping at the line of your circle.

how to carve fruit into a flower

Do this all the way around.

how to carve fruit into a flower
how to carve fruit into a flower

Draw an outline for your next row of petals and repeat the process.

how to carve fruit into a flower

Don’t be afraid to dig in pretty deep to get good contour.  You’d be surprised at how workable a cantaloupe can be.

how to carve fruit into a flower

hungry dog

Ralph is a huge fan of cantaloupe.  I didn’t have to worry about picking up any errant pieces.  They never had a chance to hit the floor.

carving flower from cantaloupe
carving flower from cantaloupe

To make the petals stand out as individual petals, cut underneath the top petal, and then cut a small notch out of the petal underneath.

how to carve fruit into a flower

carving flower from cantaloupe

carving flower from cantaloupe

And there you have it.  It looks a little more like a yellow pinecone to me than a flower, but it does look pretty awesome.

Fruit carvings make a great fancy addition to a fruit tray for special occasions. I think they are a great idea for weddings and such.  If you decide to make one for such an occasion, I would suggest that you carve it no sooner than the day before the event as once carved, fruit only lasts so long.  I did mine on Sunday and stored it under wrap in the refrigerator and it still looks pretty good.  As for actually eating it, well my hands were all over the thing, so I’d say it just makes a great decoration.  But that is just me.

• Ashley April 17, 2015, 12:22 am

Hi there! Visiting from Crazy Frenzy Friday. Your carving looks so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing this!

• All that's Jas April 15, 2015, 8:47 am

That looks incredible! If you carve it with gloves on you could still eat it, lol. We would love if you’d share your amazing tutorial at our Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop! Found you on Wow me Wednesday and you sure did wow me :)

• Sinea Pies April 14, 2015, 7:58 pm

I am absolutely STUNNED! This is beautiful and I would never have guessed, when I first saw the picture, that this was a cantelope. We have a family bridal shower coming up this summer and I want to learn how to do this. How would you suggest serving it?
    Pinning, sharing, bragging about your post! ♥

• Susan Myers April 18, 2015, 12:50 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words! I think fruit carvings would be beautiful for a bridal shower! As for serving it, I would suggest just using it as decor. I suppose you could use gloves while carving it, and then cut it open to eat. But keep in mind that the inside of it still has the seeds and all. Hope that helps!

• Kristie April 14, 2015, 11:29 am

that is gorgeous!

• Elaine April 14, 2015, 8:43 am

You make this look so easy! I don’t think I would have the patience to do it.

• Liisi April 13, 2015, 10:48 am

I love that kind of art! This looks amazing. I will try that!

• Pattie @ Olla-Podrida April 12, 2015, 11:28 pm

I don’t think that I could ever create something this lovely, but I do admire your skills.

• Cathy April 12, 2015, 10:21 pm

Wow! This is amazing! What a yummy recipe! I would love for you to share this at my link party Making Memories Mondays going on now! :-)
    Cathy

• Michelle Maskaly August 14, 2011, 7:38 pm

Love this!

• Anonymous July 17, 2011, 9:34 pm

Belissíma

• Lisa July 10, 2011, 8:09 pm

I love when I see watermelon carvings. There's such variety of color, green, red, pink, and white. You did a great job on your cantaloupe!

• Life in Rehab June 30, 2011, 5:34 pm

Suzi-boo, genius as always! My mom even made me stop so she could read the how to!

• Allison @ House of Hepworths June 30, 2011, 3:05 am

Loved your post so much I featured you this week at my Weekly Link Party

Feel free to stop by and grab a button!!

xoxo
    Allison @ House of Hepworths

• Kelly June 29, 2011, 1:18 pm

Hi, I featured you at my blog today Blue Bird Sews for Eat, Grow Sew. Thanks for linking up, and hop over to grab a button if you'd like ;)

• Sweet Peas and Bumblebees June 29, 2011, 4:27 am

Thank you so much for linking up this amazing carved cantaloupe! You are being featured tomorrow at the start of our new What I Made Wednesday Linky Party! Congrats! Come and grab a button & link up your latest & greatest!

Alisa @ Sweet Peas and Bumblebees
    sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

• mamapez5 June 27, 2011, 8:17 pm

This is very impressive. I am amzed that it has kept so well. It would be a beautiful centre peice for a dinner party. Well done! Kate x

• AmieAnn June 27, 2011, 10:46 am

Awesome! you have to love a little crafty competition! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can't wait to see what you share this week!

• Cheryl @ Sew Can Do June 27, 2011, 3:51 am

Such a cool idea. I'm featuring it at this week's Craftastic party:)

• I'm Busy Procrastinating June 26, 2011, 7:40 pm

I'm so impressed with your craftsmanship! Wow!

• {nifty thrifty things} June 25, 2011, 9:14 pm

Like I said before: Love it!! :)
    I will be featuring this at tomorrow's linky party!
    Thank you so much for linking to {nifty thrifty things} last week!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

• armelle June 25, 2011, 7:56 am

Magnifique bravo!

• Suzy Myers June 24, 2011, 11:53 am

Hi Jenny,

Do a search for fruit carving on utube.com. There are lots of videos on technique!

• Carolina Girl (Cely) June 24, 2011, 11:06 am

OMG…..this is great…..and I mst try it. Thank you for a very clear tutorial and making it look like left-handed me could do it.

• Jenny June 24, 2011, 3:21 am

That is so AmAZiNg!!! I've been looking for a good fruit carving tutorial for ages and now I can't wait to try it once I get home!

Do you know what style of fruit carving this is/where to learn some more carving techniques? :D :D

• Amanda-The Sweet Details June 23, 2011, 2:03 pm

oh this look so tasty! i'd love if you came and shared something at my link party! its open all week :)

Also if you're interested in doing a guest post I would LOVE that too!!

• jamie June 23, 2011, 10:53 am

That is amazing! I saw the thumbnail on the Yesterday on Tuesday craft party and figured you were a professional :) Thanks for posting this tutorial… I just might try it

• Carolyn June 23, 2011, 1:47 am

That looks fantastic! So how can anyone eat something that looks so good?

• Kathryn Michelle Jenkins June 22, 2011, 11:07 pm

wow really great job! incredible and it looks kind of fun to try

kathryn
    twitter: kathblogger

• Jen June 22, 2011, 4:22 pm

Okay, I am seriously impressed here! You did an amazing job! Jen @ http://www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

• Jessica @ O. Alouette June 22, 2011, 1:38 am

This is so pretty! Would be perfect for a table centerpiece. I want to try something like this but I think I would just make a huge mess!!

• Stephanie June 21, 2011, 6:08 pm

Wow! That is so pretty! Thanks for posting a tutorial with that. I found you on Not Just a Housewife. mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

• Hanna June 21, 2011, 6:06 pm

WOW!!! This is amazing!!!! Thank you so much for linking up and giving the tutorial. I love this.

xoxo Hanna

• Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts June 21, 2011, 3:15 pm

thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday – I just featured you on my FB page

• Kitty June 21, 2011, 1:12 pm

You did such a great job! If I tried that I'd be getting stitches at the ER, I dont get along well with knives!

• creativejewishmom/sara June 21, 2011, 12:49 pm

wow, great job! i've always wanted to get into fruit and vegetable platters so that I could make gorgeous healthy platters instead of cake, but have yet to really find the moment, or the sources for projects! Did you know that you can buy a whole set of Japanese vegetable carving tools? Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

• Cozy Home Scenes June 20, 2011, 11:52 pm

I bet that is one contest you'll win! Your flower is so nice. I've always wanted to carve fruit like that, but the task seems really daunting. I admire your guts and talent to make a beautiful piece of art.

• Jill June 20, 2011, 11:27 pm

Your canteloup flower – pinecone looks brilliant! So what will you carve for the big contest???

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• The Outlaw Mom June 20, 2011, 10:14 pm

Beautiful! My mom has this art mastered, but it is so intimidating to me. You make it look super easy – thanks for sharing :-)

• idesign June 20, 2011, 10:00 pm

gorgeous!! love the look :)

Jackie

• mermaid June 20, 2011, 8:45 pm

Oh! That`s AMAZING!

• Jocelyn June 20, 2011, 1:48 pm

Wow! That is amazing! The carved fruits were one of my fav things when my hubby and I went on a cruise. Thanks for showing us how easy they actually are to do:-)

• Mindy June 20, 2011, 1:41 am

Totally awesome. I'm 'pinning' this for future reference!

• Kelly June 20, 2011, 1:18 am

this is so beautiful! nice job! I love your description of patience needed, and little Ralph waiting for the scraps. Thanks for a great tutorial and to linking with Eat, Grow, Sew!

• Irum June 19, 2011, 3:23 pm

suzy dear…. u rock. luv ur work.

• somedaycrafts June 19, 2011, 3:16 pm

Love it! I'm always amazed at the carved fruit I see. I am featuring this today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

• OnePerfectDay June 18, 2011, 10:20 pm

This is amazing!

• alison June 18, 2011, 10:01 pm

that melon looks crazy pretty after it's carving session…i don't think i would have the patience or talent to achieve these results but i love that you shared your skill at fridays unfolded…hope you'll be back next week to join the summer block party!

alison
    stuff and nonsense

• Hollie - TheSevenYearCottage.com June 18, 2011, 6:58 pm

Beautiful… I'm amazed at your work!

• Jen @ Domesticated Nomad June 18, 2011, 6:26 pm

Have you watched this on Food Network – I mean contests doing this? I always watch and am amazed and then because I'm kind of a freak I always want to go try it. I never have though. Now I want to.

Yours looks so great! Good job.

• Ann June 18, 2011, 1:00 pm

Gorgeous! And you are SO not lazy! :)

• Monica at Equipping Catholic families June 18, 2011, 12:33 pm

WOW…that's inspiring. Can't wait to see what you do with other fruit. =)
    Love your sense of humor too!

• craftytokyomama June 18, 2011, 10:41 am

Every great sculptress needs a muse like Ralph. Too cute!

• Sher June 18, 2011, 12:37 am

How beautiful! That would look great on any table!

• Rose @ Walnut Acre June 17, 2011, 10:07 pm

It looks wonderful. I don't know if I would have the patience to try it myself though.

• Maria Matter June 17, 2011, 10:00 pm

Omgosh Suzy, that's incredible!!! you did an beautiful job!

• Vivienne @ the V Spot June 17, 2011, 9:08 pm

Very cool!

• {nifty thrifty things} June 17, 2011, 8:54 pm

Wow! This is SO pretty! Love it!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

• The Answer Is Chocolate June 17, 2011, 7:58 pm

WOW! My mom gave me one of those food garnish carver sets several years ago and nothing I butchered, I mean attempted, came close to looking like this. Stunning!

• Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum June 17, 2011, 3:21 pm

That is beautiful! Have you ever seen the book "Play With Your Food" by Joost Elffers? (Yes, that is his real name.) You would have such fun with it! Thanks for sharing!

• Lynda June 17, 2011, 2:14 pm

Ha HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! I knew I would hit something eventually to get you in the luau spirit, hee hee hee! I knew you would be awesome at that!!!!
    Now I can't wait to see what you come up with for the party. By the way, the categories for prizes are: Best overall, best hawaiian theme, most difficult and funniest. You're sure to win in one of those categories, probably most difficult, hehehehe

• Janice June 17, 2011, 2:02 pm

That is absolutely amazing! It reminds me so much of old Judy Garland movies 'Let's put on a show', except in your case it's 'Let's carve a beautiful flower out of a cantelope.! WOW.

• Whimsy-ma-blog June 17, 2011, 1:03 pm

You are just the queen of detailed crafty things! I think I need a little more of your patience. Then my crafts would come out beautiful like yours instead of slapped together. Stop coming up with such great ideas! You're making my To Make list WAY too long. It's getting unreasonable.

• Thrifty Crafty Girl June 17, 2011, 12:59 pm

That is amazing. Did you major in fruit carving in college? ;) I wish I was ambitious enough to try that!

• Michele Pacey June 17, 2011, 12:52 pm

Wow that is just SO pretty!

• " me " June 17, 2011, 12:34 pm

OMG !!!!!! I'm so impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Clare G June 17, 2011, 12:00 pm

I think your fruit carving is excellent. The look on Ralph's sweet little face as he waits for the cantaloupe to drop is too cute.