Feature Friday- Faux Punched Tin Tutorial

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet

I love the look of punched tin. And of course I wanted to go about it in a totally different way, simply because I’m cheap like that. So, rather than pricing out thin sheets of tin for this project, I collected a few aluminum cookie sheets from the Dollar Store. And faux punched tin was born!

One aluminum cookie sheet
A knitting needle (really- they are awesome for more things than just knitting!)
One 16″ x 20″ canvas
Copper acrylic paint
Black Cardstock
Hot glue
Paper for design drawing
Rooster Pattern (on my free pattern page)

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 2 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 3

Taking a pair of scissors that you aren’t necessarily attached to (as this will probably dull them), cut the edges of the cookie sheet off, creating one large flat panel.  Use your panel to trace the size onto a sheet of paper, and then draw your design out onto the paper.

For this project, I chose to do a rooster. Not sure why, although I do seem to have birds on the brain recently with all the goose eggs, duck eggs and ostrich eggs I’ve accumulated to create Ukrainian eggs this year. Anyway, I wanted to fill up the space with lots of detail, so I drew in the rooster and added some leaves and flowers around him.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 4 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 5

I laid a thick towel out on the table and placed the aluminum on top. I then placed the drawing over the sheet of aluminum, matching the edges and retraced the drawing, leaving an indent in the aluminum. (Rather than drawing out a design, you could actually use a page from a coloring book at this point, or a printout of some clip art).

Now that you have your drawing indented into the aluminum, it is simple to just take your knitting needle and punch small holes, following the lines. The thick towel on your table allows you to puncture the aluminum without bending it.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 7 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 9

Once the entire picture is punched, you could certainly stop here. It already looks like an authentic piece of punched tin.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 10

But I decided to add some detail. Using my knitting needle, I scored cross-hatching patterns in certain areas that I wanted to bring out the design.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 11 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 12

In other areas, I turned the aluminum sheet over and used a stick of hot glue to push the aluminum outward, creating focal points.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 13 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 14

I then laid the aluminum sheet on top of the canvas and traced around the edges. Taking my copper acrylic paint, I painted the edges of the canvas and just past the traced lines. It took two coats of paint to get a good look.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 16

Add hot glue to the canvas along the inside edge of the traced lines and press the aluminum sheet onto the canvas.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 17 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 18

I then cut 1″ strips of black cardstock and framed it around the edges for contrast, covering the raw edge of the aluminum.  I glued the strips down with hot glue.  A final touch was to add a bit of leafy-ness to the black frame using the copper acrylic paint.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 18

The finished project makes a great focal point for any room. And you are the only one that needs to know that it started out as a dollar store cookie sheet!

For other tutorials using disposable aluminum cookie sheets, check out:

Faux Tin Tiles
Enchanted Fish 3D Art
Sleeping Mermaid 3D Art

For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Laura Elorza April 17, 2015, 11:10 pm

Oh, my God, I LOVE everything you have on here! Every time I look at another one of your tutorial I love it too! I am so doing this for my mother she LOVES rosters her kitchen is rosters everything. And I am so into doing things cheap so you have made me one happy lady. Being from New Orleans I am going to make a Fleur de Lis for my own home. I’ll post a picture of it for you when I get it/them done. I am recovering from a hysterectomy right now so maybe I can work on it. :) I can’t wait! Thank you so much for all your amazingly frugal ideas.

• Susan Myers April 18, 2015, 1:41 pm

Hi Laura!

I’ll bet a Fleur de Lis would look awesome in punched tin! So glad you are enjoying my projects! If you love to save money on craft supplies, then my site is the place to go!

Would love to see what you come up with! Hope your recovery goes smoothly.

• Violet Tendencies April 13, 2015, 3:29 pm

what to do if I can’t open pdf files?

• Susan Myers April 18, 2015, 1:29 pm

Most computers have a free adobe pdf reader. That is why I create pdf’s for ease of opening. I’ll email the photo of the pattern to you. Hope that helps!

• BB April 9, 2015, 3:53 pm

Hi…I just love this whole idea, but I live in a small town and am not able to locate any of those disposable cookie sheets that are “flat”, most have some kind of ridges build in :( Great idea though……..thanks

• Marty October 31, 2014, 12:30 am

Suzy, you are amazing. I have always loved crafting. I’m head over heels into quilting now. Love the “summer Jewels” pattern. I intend to try it soon. Just found the tin rooster on your website, yikes, now I’ll have to try it too!!!!!!
    And, we were full-time RVers for 3-1/2 years…best years of our married life! Like a 3 year vacation. Good luck

• Susan Myers October 31, 2014, 9:33 pm

Hi Marty!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m so glad you are finding things on my site that interest you.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed RV life. We are very excited to try it out!

• Caramia August 28, 2014, 12:53 pm

We started poking with knitting needles but then found that push pins were much easier on our fingers. We are doing it right now! Fun!

• Candra August 22, 2014, 11:08 am

This is great idea…can’t wait to do my Mermaid…and a fish. Thanks Suzy!

• Caramia August 14, 2014, 12:59 am

Thank you so much! This is perfect. I homeschool (5 kids) and we are almost finished with Farmer Boy. This is going to be our last craft – the best craft! Thanks for the idea of printing coloring pages and using them. Soooo very excited to do this. I hope my rooster one comes out nicely – would love to give it to my farmer friend. Thanks again!

• Judy Wickens July 2, 2014, 8:25 pm

thank you /i have to try this for my daughter/she has her kitchen done with chickens and rooster’s <3 Yours turned out so cute <3 wish me luck <3

• Susan Myers July 2, 2014, 10:35 pm

Awesome! Would love to see what you come up with!

• Carlin Dewerff May 22, 2014, 3:04 pm

You are so very talented! I was in the craft industry many years and would love to had classes taught by you, however, I don’t think you learn to be creative, it is either there or not. I recently retired and needed SOMETHING to do….and then I found you…YAY My creative juices are coming back.

• JoAnn Sugg May 3, 2014, 2:44 pm

I just saw this post. We recently remodeled our kitchen but still haven’t done any backsplash work. I like the tin backsplash to go behind the stove, but it is so expensive. I like this idea. How would you clean the canvas?

• Susan Myers May 4, 2014, 12:46 am

Hi JoAnn,

To keep the canvas from getting dirty, add a couple nice layers of Matte Mod Podge to just the canvas. (The faux tin will be fine on its own). This will make it easy to simply wipe the canvas with a damp sponge every now and then when you need to.

Would love to see what you come up with!

• Evelyne Hofer August 25, 2012, 10:28 pm

Suzy, I love this project and made it today. I already had a slightly smaller canvas at home so I modified your rooster pattern a bit. Also, I didn’t have black cardstock so I painted a black rectangle and glued the tin in the middle. It turned out well. Thank you sooo much for your very creative projects!

• Cara June 12, 2012, 11:49 am

I think this is fabulous! When I read the first bit about the dollar store cookie sheets I thought, “That’s just ingenius!” I already knew how to do punched tin but had never even thought of doing it on these. Really glad you posted this!

• Amie @ Pinkapotamus March 4, 2012, 7:38 am

This is soo awesome! Love the little rooster design and it brings back wonderful memories of tin art at Girl Scouts growing up! Thanks so much for the inspiration and for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can’t wait to see what you share next!

• Michelle@Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust March 3, 2012, 11:35 am

This turned out really great & I love the inexpensive approach to making it. Thank you so much for linking up on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust. Please come back again next Friday.

Warmly, Michelle

• Candace Creations March 3, 2012, 11:23 am

Love how you mounted it and put it as a backspash! thanks for sharing this is being featured today at candacecreations!

• Cait L March 1, 2012, 7:08 pm

I love this! I need to make one for my kitchen!

• creativejewishmom/sara February 29, 2012, 7:57 pm

very nice! I knew when I saw the title faux punched tin that the contribution just had to be yours, and I was right, you are one of a kind! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

• Geri O February 29, 2012, 7:49 pm

Wow, I love this idea. I really want to try this.

• Jill February 29, 2012, 7:41 pm

Just brilliant once again Suzy! I love your creative ideas – and am storing so much up I need to retire to fit them all in!!! :)

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• Heather February 29, 2012, 2:52 pm

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing ~ featured on FB!!

• Danni Baird February 29, 2012, 12:55 pm

This is so cute! Love the rooster and seriously love the fact that you found a cheaper alternative to the metal. Way to go!

• Jen Lossing, The Consigner Designer February 29, 2012, 10:51 am

This looks really great! What a wonderful and creative original piece of art!

• Mrs. Delightful February 29, 2012, 7:00 am

WOW! You did an amazing job! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: http://www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful

• Anonymous February 29, 2012, 6:58 am

Mrs. Delightful

• Kassi @ Truly Lovely February 28, 2012, 6:52 pm

This would look great in my SIL’s Rooster kitchen!!! So intricate and pretty!!! Thanks for sharing this on Fancy This Fridays this last week!!!

• Mindie February 28, 2012, 3:46 pm

I love this, and it looks easy enough for me to do. Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time!

• Six Sisters February 28, 2012, 12:32 am

Nice, very well done. We loved having you link up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We hope you’ll be back! -The Sisters

• Meg February 27, 2012, 11:57 am

Wow! What a project! You did a wonderful job with it. Thanks for sharing!

• Eileen February 27, 2012, 11:17 am

Love this look! I can’t believe it is this easy….or cheap, er, inexpensive. It would look good in my retro/vintage/thrifty kitchen.
    Thanks!

• Eileen February 27, 2012, 11:14 am

This looks so good. We are in the process of redoing the house (it never ends, does it?) and something like this would look good in my vintage kitchen. After the paint dries……

• Brenda Williams February 26, 2012, 11:56 pm

This is just awesome. I love it!!! You have so much talent and I appreciate you sharing with the rest of us.

• Cindy February 26, 2012, 8:46 am

Gosh you made that look so easy. What a great idea! I love the contrast between the tin and the frame too.

• Shirley February 25, 2012, 4:56 pm

I love your pattern and was wondering where you found it. My daughter has her kitchen decorated with roosters and I would like to do this for her. Thanks for the blog, I enjoy it so much.

• Suzy February 26, 2012, 12:02 am

Hi Shirley!

I have received quite a few requests for the rooster pattern and will be posting a pdf file of it next week. So stay tuned! And thanks so much for stopping by!

• Leslie February 25, 2012, 1:54 pm

This is an amazing idea! I wanted to do this to a cabinet but didn’t want the expense of the tin. You have solved the problem! Thanks for sharing!

• R. Bradford February 24, 2012, 6:55 pm

Suzy I could smack you because you are soooooo FANTASTIC…first it was the faux stained glass and now its the faux punched tin……you really need to make a craft book…at the very least an EBook…..I KNOW you would have PLENTY of folks wanting it…keep giving us MORE MORE MORE ideas!!!! would you mind posting the pattern of the rooster used on this project….I want to do this one!!!!!

• Suzy February 26, 2012, 8:10 pm

Thanks so much for your very sweet comments! Even the smacking part! Ha! In answer to your question, I will be releasing the pdf version of the rooster pattern next week, so stay tuned!

• Katy February 24, 2012, 3:27 pm

Fun idea, and a bargain too!

• Ani February 24, 2012, 11:15 am

Awesome! I love that! You are redeeming crafting in my husband’s eyes. (He likes the stuff I make, but was exposed to too many halfhearted crafts made out of plastic canvas and such as a child.) I love this! So cool! I just may have to do this soon. I could do fruit on smaller canvases and put it in my kitchen… hmmmm
    Thanks for another great idea!

• deb February 24, 2012, 11:02 am

I agree with all the above commentators ………I just love your tutorials because you make them all seem like something i could do……and for lack of a better word they do not seem cheesy or cheap. They look like something i would actually like to have in my home. I’m new to Pinterest but i pinned this to my Crafts to Try board that links back to you. Hope i did it right……anyway…….you had me with the peacock faux stained glass picture and you never disappoint. :) hugs! deb

• Paula February 24, 2012, 10:13 am

this is really awesome, great idea using aluminum pan !!!!!

• Lynda February 24, 2012, 9:14 am

OMG!!!! I HAVE to do this!!!!! You gotta come over and help meeeeeeeee, hehehehehe
    now what picture should I do……….I’m thinking some African animal, hehehehhe, thanks for the idea Suzy!!!! Where do you get all these ideas???? Your mind must be working constantly!!!

• norene February 24, 2012, 9:01 am

That is absolutely stunning! You amaze me. Love it!

• Janice February 24, 2012, 7:47 am

Suzy, you are the most creative genius on the web. Really. I think you might have an extra little part of brain that the rest of us don’t. Where do you keep it?

I love that whenever there’s a project on your blog it’s not a copy of a copy of a copy of some trend that’s popping up as often as lice at summer camp.

And you make it all so effortless. And so doable. And so cheap! So great. I’m pinning, of course. And I’ve been eyeballing my big front window for a faux stained glass glue painting. What to paint, what to paint…