Feature Friday- Faux Punched Tin Tutorial

by Susan Myers on February 24, 2012

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet

I love the look of punched tin. And of course I wanted to go about it in a totally different way, simply because I’m cheap like that. So, rather than pricing out thin sheets of tin for this project, I collected a few aluminum cookie sheets from the Dollar Store. And faux punched tin was born!

One aluminum cookie sheet
A knitting needle (really- they are awesome for more things than just knitting!)
One 16″ x 20″ canvas
Copper acrylic paint
Black Cardstock
Hot glue
Paper for design drawing
Rooster Pattern (on my free pattern page)

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 2 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 3

Taking a pair of scissors that you aren’t necessarily attached to (as this will probably dull them), cut the edges of the cookie sheet off, creating one large flat panel.  Use your panel to trace the size onto a sheet of paper, and then draw your design out onto the paper.

For this project, I chose to do a rooster. Not sure why, although I do seem to have birds on the brain recently with all the goose eggs, duck eggs and ostrich eggs I’ve accumulated to create Ukrainian eggs this year. Anyway, I wanted to fill up the space with lots of detail, so I drew in the rooster and added some leaves and flowers around him.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 4 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 5

I laid a thick towel out on the table and placed the aluminum on top. I then placed the drawing over the sheet of aluminum, matching the edges and retraced the drawing, leaving an indent in the aluminum. (Rather than drawing out a design, you could actually use a page from a coloring book at this point, or a printout of some clip art).

Now that you have your drawing indented into the aluminum, it is simple to just take your knitting needle and punch small holes, following the lines. The thick towel on your table allows you to puncture the aluminum without bending it.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 7 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 9

Once the entire picture is punched, you could certainly stop here. It already looks like an authentic piece of punched tin.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 10

But I decided to add some detail. Using my knitting needle, I scored cross-hatching patterns in certain areas that I wanted to bring out the design.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 11 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 12

In other areas, I turned the aluminum sheet over and used a stick of hot glue to push the aluminum outward, creating focal points.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 13 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 14

I then laid the aluminum sheet on top of the canvas and traced around the edges. Taking my copper acrylic paint, I painted the edges of the canvas and just past the traced lines. It took two coats of paint to get a good look.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 16

Add hot glue to the canvas along the inside edge of the traced lines and press the aluminum sheet onto the canvas.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 17 faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 18

I then cut 1″ strips of black cardstock and framed it around the edges for contrast, covering the raw edge of the aluminum.  I glued the strips down with hot glue.  A final touch was to add a bit of leafy-ness to the black frame using the copper acrylic paint.

faux punched tin craft from aluminum cookie sheet 18

The finished project makes a great focal point for any room. And you are the only one that needs to know that it started out as a dollar store cookie sheet!

For other tutorials using disposable aluminum cookie sheets, check out:

Faux Tin Tiles
Enchanted Fish 3D Art
Sleeping Mermaid 3D Art

For over 100 tutorials for all ages, be sure to visit my Tutorial Page!

suzy_sign

{ 40 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Caramia August 14, 2014 at 12:59 am

Thank you so much! This is perfect. I homeschool (5 kids) and we are almost finished with Farmer Boy. This is going to be our last craft – the best craft! Thanks for the idea of printing coloring pages and using them. Soooo very excited to do this. I hope my rooster one comes out nicely – would love to give it to my farmer friend. Thanks again!

2 Judy Wickens July 2, 2014 at 8:25 pm

thank you /i have to try this for my daughter/she has her kitchen done with chickens and rooster’s <3 Yours turned out so cute <3 wish me luck <3

3 Susan Myers July 2, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Awesome! Would love to see what you come up with!

4 Carlin Dewerff May 22, 2014 at 3:04 pm

You are so very talented! I was in the craft industry many years and would love to had classes taught by you, however, I don’t think you learn to be creative, it is either there or not. I recently retired and needed SOMETHING to do….and then I found you…YAY My creative juices are coming back.

5 JoAnn Sugg May 3, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I just saw this post. We recently remodeled our kitchen but still haven’t done any backsplash work. I like the tin backsplash to go behind the stove, but it is so expensive. I like this idea. How would you clean the canvas?

6 Susan Myers May 4, 2014 at 12:46 am

Hi JoAnn,

To keep the canvas from getting dirty, add a couple nice layers of Matte Mod Podge to just the canvas. (The faux tin will be fine on its own). This will make it easy to simply wipe the canvas with a damp sponge every now and then when you need to.

Would love to see what you come up with!

7 Evelyne Hofer August 25, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Suzy, I love this project and made it today. I already had a slightly smaller canvas at home so I modified your rooster pattern a bit. Also, I didn’t have black cardstock so I painted a black rectangle and glued the tin in the middle. It turned out well. Thank you sooo much for your very creative projects!

8 Cara June 12, 2012 at 11:49 am

I think this is fabulous! When I read the first bit about the dollar store cookie sheets I thought, “That’s just ingenius!” I already knew how to do punched tin but had never even thought of doing it on these. Really glad you posted this!

9 Amie @ Pinkapotamus March 4, 2012 at 7:38 am

This is soo awesome! Love the little rooster design and it brings back wonderful memories of tin art at Girl Scouts growing up! Thanks so much for the inspiration and for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can’t wait to see what you share next!

10 Michelle@Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust March 3, 2012 at 11:35 am

This turned out really great & I love the inexpensive approach to making it. Thank you so much for linking up on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust. Please come back again next Friday.

Warmly, Michelle

11 Candace Creations March 3, 2012 at 11:23 am

Love how you mounted it and put it as a backspash! thanks for sharing this is being featured today at candacecreations!

12 Cait L March 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I love this! I need to make one for my kitchen!

13 creativejewishmom/sara February 29, 2012 at 7:57 pm

very nice! I knew when I saw the title faux punched tin that the contribution just had to be yours, and I was right, you are one of a kind! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

14 Geri O February 29, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Wow, I love this idea. I really want to try this.

15 Jill February 29, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Just brilliant once again Suzy! I love your creative ideas – and am storing so much up I need to retire to fit them all in!!! :)

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

16 Heather February 29, 2012 at 2:52 pm

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing ~ featured on FB!!

17 Danni Baird February 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm

This is so cute! Love the rooster and seriously love the fact that you found a cheaper alternative to the metal. Way to go!

18 Jen Lossing, The Consigner Designer February 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

This looks really great! What a wonderful and creative original piece of art!

19 Mrs. Delightful February 29, 2012 at 7:00 am

WOW! You did an amazing job! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: http://www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful

20 Anonymous February 29, 2012 at 6:58 am

Mrs. Delightful

21 Kassi @ Truly Lovely February 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm

This would look great in my SIL’s Rooster kitchen!!! So intricate and pretty!!! Thanks for sharing this on Fancy This Fridays this last week!!!

22 Mindie February 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I love this, and it looks easy enough for me to do. Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time!

23 Six Sisters February 28, 2012 at 12:32 am

Nice, very well done. We loved having you link up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We hope you’ll be back! -The Sisters

24 Meg February 27, 2012 at 11:57 am

Wow! What a project! You did a wonderful job with it. Thanks for sharing!

25 Eileen February 27, 2012 at 11:17 am

Love this look! I can’t believe it is this easy….or cheap, er, inexpensive. It would look good in my retro/vintage/thrifty kitchen.
Thanks!

26 Eileen February 27, 2012 at 11:14 am

This looks so good. We are in the process of redoing the house (it never ends, does it?) and something like this would look good in my vintage kitchen. After the paint dries……

27 Brenda Williams February 26, 2012 at 11:56 pm

This is just awesome. I love it!!! You have so much talent and I appreciate you sharing with the rest of us.

28 Cindy February 26, 2012 at 8:46 am

Gosh you made that look so easy. What a great idea! I love the contrast between the tin and the frame too.

29 Shirley February 25, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I love your pattern and was wondering where you found it. My daughter has her kitchen decorated with roosters and I would like to do this for her. Thanks for the blog, I enjoy it so much.

30 Suzy February 26, 2012 at 12:02 am

Hi Shirley!

I have received quite a few requests for the rooster pattern and will be posting a pdf file of it next week. So stay tuned! And thanks so much for stopping by!

31 Leslie February 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

This is an amazing idea! I wanted to do this to a cabinet but didn’t want the expense of the tin. You have solved the problem! Thanks for sharing!

32 R. Bradford February 24, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Suzy I could smack you because you are soooooo FANTASTIC…first it was the faux stained glass and now its the faux punched tin……you really need to make a craft book…at the very least an EBook…..I KNOW you would have PLENTY of folks wanting it…keep giving us MORE MORE MORE ideas!!!! would you mind posting the pattern of the rooster used on this project….I want to do this one!!!!!

33 Suzy February 26, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Thanks so much for your very sweet comments! Even the smacking part! Ha! In answer to your question, I will be releasing the pdf version of the rooster pattern next week, so stay tuned!

34 Katy February 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Fun idea, and a bargain too!

35 Ani February 24, 2012 at 11:15 am

Awesome! I love that! You are redeeming crafting in my husband’s eyes. (He likes the stuff I make, but was exposed to too many halfhearted crafts made out of plastic canvas and such as a child.) I love this! So cool! I just may have to do this soon. I could do fruit on smaller canvases and put it in my kitchen… hmmmm
Thanks for another great idea!

36 deb February 24, 2012 at 11:02 am

I agree with all the above commentators ………I just love your tutorials because you make them all seem like something i could do……and for lack of a better word they do not seem cheesy or cheap. They look like something i would actually like to have in my home. I’m new to Pinterest but i pinned this to my Crafts to Try board that links back to you. Hope i did it right……anyway…….you had me with the peacock faux stained glass picture and you never disappoint. :) hugs! deb

37 Paula February 24, 2012 at 10:13 am

this is really awesome, great idea using aluminum pan !!!!!

38 Lynda February 24, 2012 at 9:14 am

OMG!!!! I HAVE to do this!!!!! You gotta come over and help meeeeeeeee, hehehehehe
now what picture should I do……….I’m thinking some African animal, hehehehhe, thanks for the idea Suzy!!!! Where do you get all these ideas???? Your mind must be working constantly!!!

39 norene February 24, 2012 at 9:01 am

That is absolutely stunning! You amaze me. Love it!

40 Janice February 24, 2012 at 7:47 am

Suzy, you are the most creative genius on the web. Really. I think you might have an extra little part of brain that the rest of us don’t. Where do you keep it?

I love that whenever there’s a project on your blog it’s not a copy of a copy of a copy of some trend that’s popping up as often as lice at summer camp.

And you make it all so effortless. And so doable. And so cheap! So great. I’m pinning, of course. And I’ve been eyeballing my big front window for a faux stained glass glue painting. What to paint, what to paint…