Official Sitcom Craft Fail!

by Susan Myers on September 5, 2012

Yep, it had to happen sometime.  And I am here to document it for you!  While there have been many craft fails that have occurred in my craft room, this one ranks number one as a Major Craft Fail!  So, have a seat and enjoy my mess and be glad…so glad that you don’t have to smell it!

Skeleton Leaves

Source: My Art Glass World

Pretty aren’t they?  I thought so too.  While in California, we stumbled upon a shop that was selling leaf skeletons that were airbrushed in florescent colors and placed over a black velvet setting.  They were just awesome.  So I wrote it down in my little black book and was determined to try this new craft when I got back home.

And that I did.

Skeleton Leaves/Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom Craft Fail

I started by gathering a large selection of leaves.  I figured if I picked a variety, at least one or two of them would work.

Making skeleton leaves Making skeleton leaves

I followed a recipe that I found on line.  Use one part super washing soda to one part water. Sounded easy enough.

Making skeleton leaves

Optimistically, I threw the leaves in a pot and set them to boil.  And then waited.

And the stink began.  Faint at first, and then stronger.  Gah!  If leaves had butts, I imagine this is what they’d smell like.  It wasn’t long before my entire house smelled like leaf butt.  But, I soldiered on.  Sometimes a good craft takes a little sacrifice.

I lit a coconut candle and braved the stink.  This will certainly be worth the effort.  I had big plans for those skeleton leaves.

Making skeleton leaves

After an hour an a half of boiling, my pot of leaves looked like this.  A big stinky disgusting mess.  No problem, I thought.  The next step is to take them out and blanch them in cold water.

Well, that is if you can separate them.  I was dealing with the equivalent of a leafy butt smelling pile of spinach.

There came a point where I had to admit defeat.  The leaf butts had won.  The house was gagging me, because it now smelled like coconut leaf butts.  My pan was coated in a white crust.  Even the dogs wanted to go out.  I waved the white flag.

Official Sitcom Craft Fail.

Oh well, I guess it had to happen sometime.

Want to see some that did turn out?  Well check out The Other White House while I go clean my kitchen before I yak.

suzys sitcom facebook page

For over 150 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

{ 27 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lynda March 15, 2014 at 9:22 am

Lol oh well. It’s ok to have a craft fail now and then. At least you didn’t chuck it at the wall like I would. Ha ha

2 Ann alba March 14, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I am so sorry Suzy for the craft fail… As a comedian you get an A+ I am lmao
Leaf butt too funny. Have a good one Ann.

3 Debilee July 16, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Coconut Leaf Butts! I can’t even imagine what that odor might be like!! LOL

4 Katie July 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

OMG Leaf butts you are too funny, I am cramping with my laughter but give me more you are so brave, glad it was your kitchen not mine LOLOL

5 Susan Myers July 16, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Glad I put a smile in your day! The kitchen took forever to air out, by the way. Ha!

6 Z July 15, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I am literally crying over here. I can’t tell you the last time I’ve had such a laugh. Thank you so much for sharing your story and giving me such a needed relief. I read several other tutorials before yours and none of them were as good as yours.

7 Susan Myers July 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thanks so much! I’m glad I put a smile in your day!

8 Aurelas October 24, 2012 at 10:44 am

Oh dear! I absolutely love your description. I’m so sorry it didn’t work out but I have to admit, I needed the laugh. :) Thanks for sharing!

9 Isabel October 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Oh my god… leaf butts.. I’m literally crying here… lol

10 Debra September 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm

smelly leaf butts…rotflol…you go girl…

11 Sherry September 9, 2012 at 11:50 am

Suzy,

I’m so sorry but, I had quite a laugh at your expense! I have to tell you, it is a boost to see that it’s not only my great ideas that go awry!!!

Better luck next time!

12 Brenda Williams September 6, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I am rolling on the floor laughing…I think I can even smell your craft project! Bless your heart.

13 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Oh, you probably can. :) I can’t even aptly describe the stench. ha!

14 Virginia September 6, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I wonder… I’ve never heard of nor seen this craft before so I don’t know anything about which leaves are suited for the purpose. However your pot looks a lot to me like one my mom had made of hammered aluminum. Could it be that the soda chemically reacted with the aluminum and caused the crust, the odor, and the spinach effect?

15 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm

You know, that is a possibility that I didn’t think of. I’m kind of afraid to try it again, though. I don’t think I could handle another attack of leaf butts. :)

16 Deepthi September 6, 2012 at 5:07 am

Aww!! Suzy!! you cannot make leaf skeletons using all the leaves… Next time try Peepal leaf or banyan… I used to make them when I was in school….. And while you pick up the leaves, pick up the ones that are thick / mature leaves. This way you can be sure that after the leafy part gets dissolved the skeleton remains…. or you can always try the traditional method of soaking the leaves in water for a month or so and try to remove the outer layer…though its a very lengthy process…. And tell me after you have tried them if you were successful or not…

17 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Hi Deepthi!

How are you doing? It is wonderful to hear from you!! As for Peepal leaf or banyan, well we have none of that here that I know of. I did go for thicker leaves, but maybe I didn’t get thick enough. I have since had several good tips on how to do this, including yours, and I will maybe try it again. As soon as I get over the leaf butt smell. :)

thanks!!

18 Agy of Green Issues September 6, 2012 at 2:04 am

LOL – leaf butts! Sorry it didn’t work out but perhaps you’ll be able to find a better way of making them and they’ll turn out awesome :-)

19 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I’ve gotten lots of great tips since the post, but I’m a bit afraid of bringing leaf butt smell back into the house. Soon, though. :)

20 Heidi @ Mom's Crafty Space September 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Ohmigosh this had me laughing SO hard…not to chuckle at your misery, but this is something I’ve really been wanting to try too, and I can just totally imagine it happening to me as I was reading it. My husband will thank you for warning me before I try to make my house smell like leaf butts LOL!

21 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Hi Heidi!

Yep, leaf butt is very real. Beware!! Ha! Thanks so much for stopping by and I’m glad I put a smile in your day.

22 Pam September 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm

You are SO funny! I’m sorry it didn’t work, especially since I keep wanting to do this! But now…..not so much! Thanks for the smell warning. I think I will keep my experiments with shaving cream and bubble paintings. Better luck next time!

23 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Hi Pam,

Glad I put a smile in your day! And there you go – you have been warned about leaf butts. My latest discovery! ha!

24 Paula September 5, 2012 at 11:42 am

lol leaf butt, dont mean to laugh, but I am, sorry it didnt work out.
better luck next time, I’m glad I’m not the only one that messes up!!!!!

25 Priscilla September 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

This is going to sound awful, but… I’M REALLY GLAD YOU HAVE CRAFTING FAILS TOO. It makes you seem more human and like the rest of us. :)

26 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Hi Priscilla,

Oh, believe me, I’m human! This fail was so bad, I just had to post. But ask my husband about my cooking and you will get a whole other fail story. Ha!

27 Bethany September 5, 2012 at 10:19 am