Vacations and diets just don’t mix…

by Susan Myers on September 3, 2012

Clams/Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom

I have mentioned before that I am currently in the midst of a major diet.  A few years ago, I had lost over 60 pounds and was actually running in marathons.  My father died, and the resulting depression affected me in the weight department.  I tend to eat to feel better.  I ended up gaining most of that weight back.  Unable to get myself back into control, I hired a company called Quick Weight Loss to help monitor my diet plan and give me direction along the way.  I am already down a little over 30 pounds and am working to get back to running those marathons again.

Of course, hiring a weight loss company means that they are all up in your business.

All the time.

I mean that is what you pay them for, and you certainly can’t fault them for doing their job.  However, that doesn’t stop me from being annoyed at times.  They require that I weigh in several times a week, and present to them in writing what I ate since the last time they saw me.  If you miss a couple days, they call to check on you.

Some of you might be too young to remember the Flintstones, but there was an episode where Fred had to go on a diet to be in a commercial.  He didn’t realize that he was supposed to be the “before” photo.  Anyway, he hired a company to monitor him.  Every time he went to eat something he wasn’t supposed to, a guy would jump out from behind the curtains or from around the corner and snatch it away from him, yelling, “Oink, oink oink!”.
The company I hired is kinda like that.
Oregon Coast/Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom

So, when this trip to the West coast came up, I told the nice folks at the weight loss place that I was going to be out of town.  They gave me several long lectures on what to eat and what not to eat and stocked me up on protein bars, diet drinks and supplements for my trip.  I left with a plan.

And then I got to California and there was food.  I started off slowly with orange juice- something I haven’t had in several months.  And it was downhill from there.  We saw the ad for a restaurant with “meatballs the size of your head” in Palo Alto.  And the diet plan went straight out the window.

Mt. St. Helens/Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom

Not that I totally went crazy, but there was chocolate cake, cheese cake, black cherry ice cream, fried fish, and maybe a little pasta.  Fortunately for me, there was also a ton of walking.  California isn’t kidding when they put a hill in front of you.  Seemed that everywhere we went, there was a hill involved.  In some cases, a small mountain.

The result? A two pound loss.

I’d be happy, but for the two telephone calls a day that I received from the weight loss center the whole time I was gone.  I know their number, and I never answered.  I was irritated that they were calling me while I was on vacation.  What did they think I was doing? Cheating?

Now how would they get that idea?

Come to think of it, I never did check behind those curtains before ordering dessert…

California/Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Debra September 21, 2012 at 10:37 am

Beautiful photo’s and you are a doll and VERY funny!

2 Christine September 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm

So THAT’S why I can’t lose weight. I live in California (facepalm)! Actually, last time I was in Palo Alto we went to a little vegan place called Loving Hut. Delicious! Likely not lo-cal though ;-)
Seriously though, I understand what you’ve been through. When my dad died, that was the end of my 8 years of vegetarianism. I was there at the house with the rest of the family and all of the meals contained meat. I didn’t feel like I needed to have to find my own meals on top of everything else going on so I stopped. And never looked back.

3 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Hi Christine,

Well I’m totally jealous of your place of residence!! California is a beautiful state. And it was totally worth me going off the diet for a bit so that I could enjoy myself.

Never been a vegan myself. I like hotdogs too much. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by.

4 Brenda Williams September 5, 2012 at 8:09 am

Beautiful photos and funny funny story! You are suppose to eat special things on vacation. Main thing is you had fun.

5 KarenC September 4, 2012 at 9:46 am

I use free Sparkpeople online to log food intake and learn AND have online friends in the same weight journey as I am on. My DH is no help (and anti exercise,eek) so it helps to have online friends, and a lot of us blog on there are well. Keep at it. Do whatever it is works for you!

6 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Hi Karen!

The year I lost 60 pounds was the year I blogged on Sparkpeople! It was also the year that I discovered that I could actually write. I actually owe alot to that site. After dad died, I just had to start over somewhere else. Can’t really explain it, but dad loved my blog on Sparkpeople and followed it faithfully.

So far quick weight loss is helping and I am working towards my goal on my own, but who knows, maybe I will go back one day.

Suzy Myers

7 Gayle215 September 4, 2012 at 9:44 am

You go girl. Vacations are supposed to be an escape from everyday life and, I’m sorry, that includes diet restrictions. Props to you for not answering their calls. Remember, when you fall off the “food wagon” that the mess-up is just a very small percentage of your day, week, or month, in the case of vacations. As long as you return to your regular routine, no problem. Don’t be too hard on yourself. I think the key to successful weight-loss is moderation & exercise, not total deprivation. :)

8 Suzy September 8, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Thanks, Gayle. You are totally right about that. Now I just have to explain to the nice folks at Quick weight loss why I have been ignoring them. :)

9 Priscilla September 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I enjoy the food myself… probably more than I should. A company like that would take away my happy.

I have serious problems, apparently. Good job on the weight loss!