Hot Air Balloon Suncatchers

by Susan Myers on June 7, 2013

This is a sponsored post.  However, all ideas and opinions are genuine and my own.  I hope you will enjoy my original craft project.

I recently had the privilege of previewing the Blu-ray Combo Pack of Oz the Great & Powerful and was taken on an adventure to the land of Oz.  The challenge was to create a craft inspired by this awesome movie; and hot air balloon suncatchers were the way to go!

hot air balloons suncatchers

oz the great and powerful

Be sure to take advantage of the Blu-ray combo Pack release on June 11.  This movie is simply unforgettable!  Beautiful scenery, beautiful costumes, and fabulous fantasy characters.  Well worth watching again and again!  My craft project is based on the hot air balloon that transports the main character, Oz the Great and Powerful, to the land of Oz.

3 burnt out light bulbs
black fabric puff paint
acrylic paints
glitter
stick on jewels
glass glue
mini suction cups

hot air balloons suncatchers

I collect various recycled objects for future craft projects, so I did have a small stash of burnt out lightbulbs available.  I chose three of them, and pulled out my black fabric puff paint.  (I used metallic, but any black will work).

hot air balloons suncatchers

Hold the bulbs at their bases, and draw basic designs on the bulbs with the puff paint.  Be sure to create a stand to allow them to dry ahead of time.  I used a piece of styrofoam and some toothpicks.

hot air balloons suncatchershot air balloons suncatchers

Use bright colored acrylic paints to paint in the sections of color on the light bulbs.  It will take several coats of acrylic paint.

hot air balloons suncatchers

Allow the balloons to dry between coats.  When all color is on, touch up the black lines with a bit of black acrylic paint.

hot air balloons suncatchers

Paint white glue onto the base of the bulb and sprinkle with colored glitter.  Use stick on jewels to add more bling.

hot air balloons suncatchers

hot air balloons suncatchershot air balloons suncatchers

Take the metal hook off of the mini suction cups and use glass glue to glue it onto the back of your balloons.  Be sure to use glass glue and not hot glue.  (Hot glue will let go in the heat of the window).

hot air balloons suncatchers

And there you have it.  Beautiful Hot Air Balloon Suncatchers inspired by Oz the Great & Powerful!

You can find more information on the movie and where to purchase the Blu-ray Combo Pack here.

And be sure to check out their social networking sites:

This post was sponsored by Disney and Oz the Great & Powerful!  All opinions are truly my own.  After all, you can’t help but love the adventure of the land of Oz!

For more projects inspired by Oz the Great & Powerful, be sure to check out the links below!

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Martha Lofton June 6, 2014 at 11:29 am

I love this light bulb idea. now to save up the blown out light bulbs. I got plenty of toilet tissue and paper towel rolls. I don’t sell my crafts. I give them for gifts and for my love of crafting.
Martha

2 Ruth June 16, 2013 at 7:11 am

Great idea! Do you think you could still use them as normal light bulbs if you wanted to? Thank you!

3 Susan Myers June 16, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Hi Ruth!

I wouldn’t try to use them. I think the heat from the bulb would definitely affect the acrylic paint and the puff paint.

Thanks!

4 Erin @ DIY on the Cheap June 12, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Very cute and creative! Great job!

5 malia June 10, 2013 at 9:09 am

Awesome idea Suzy and I love how bright the colors look against the black. The glitter is the perfect touch!

6 Susan Myers June 11, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thanks, Malia! My mom helped me with this project and we just went with any color we wanted. We were very happy with the results!

7 jet June 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm

aaaw briliant, love this one. I think i will make some, but first i must finishing some projects of myself-S
i have saved those old lightbulbs, as a child i made things of them, but my mother didn’t liked it, she found it to dangerous.-S
i was always crafting when i was a child, i think you too?
I made of them heads for dolls. perhaps that’s why she didn’t liked it too much.LOL
hey thanks for this adorable fun project and the great tute you’ve made for all of us;-D
have a fun summertime.;-D

8 Monica June 8, 2013 at 8:39 am

I LOVE this, Suzy…I always get a kick out of using recycled objects and these are SO pretty!! It looks like you didn’t have any trouble getting the paint (including the puff paint) to stick to the glass? I guess that makes sense…seems to me you have painted glass before. =) I’m going to have to try this! On the look out for some burnt out bulbs…

9 Susan Myers June 9, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hi Monica!

Puff paint sticks great. I actually wanted to clean up some of my wavy lines and it would not allow me to remove any. (It does take a while to dry, though). It takes several coats of acrylic paint, but it seems to be sticking well too. To protect the finish, maybe a good spray with acrylic sealant would help too.

10 norene June 7, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I think they turned out really pretty!

11 DM June 7, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Really lovely !!!

12 Heidi @ Mom's Crafty Space June 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm

These are awesome, Suzy! I never would have thought of this either, but I’m LOVING this idea!

13 Natalie @ A Turtle's Life for Me June 7, 2013 at 8:48 am

What an awesome idea! I never would have thought of that, but they turned out great!!