Wax Covered Pine Cones DIY- perfect for gift giving!

Create beautiful wax covered pine cone gift baskets for just pennies!  They make great decorations for the home, and are even useful as fireplace fire starters in the winter!  You can make them in a multitude of colors to match any decor.  Want to know how?

wax covered pine cones

You can put a bunch of these beautiful wax covered pine cones into a gift basket.  They make a fabulous gift!  The Dollar Store offers pretty baskets, greenery and ribbons.  All for a dollar!  And the pine cones?  Well, go check out the woods.  Those are free!   I colored these for the holidays, but you can make them any color you like.

Affiliate links to Amazon below:

Assorted Pinecones
Paraffin Wax
Crayons
Wax Paper
Baskets
Pretty Kitchen Towels
Artificial pine greenery
Double boiler (or two sauce pans)
Wired Ribbon

how to make wax covered pine cones

The crayons are used for color, so choose what colors that you would like your pinecones to be and prepare the crayons by removing the paper. It will take 4-5 crayons per box of wax to achieve a good strong color. I chose to make red, green, blue and white pinecones.

how to make wax covered pine cones

Start by using your double boiler or in my case, I used two sauce pans inside each other. I put about 2″ of water in the bottom sauce pan and added a box of wax (cut in smaller pieces) to the top pan along with the red crayons. Allow the water to boil, and stir the wax until it has melted.

Sitcom 2 step option

how to make wax covered pine cones

Cover your workspace with wax paper. Remove the pan from the heat. Allow it to cool for a few moments, then begin dipping the pinecones in the pan, coating them with a layer of wax.

I found that each pinecone will need several coats of wax and as the wax begins to cool in the pan, the coats will get thicker on your pinecones. I found that each box of wax would generally cover about 3 large pinecones and 4 smaller ones.

Click here for more!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2

• Cat Lover January 6, 2017, 1:09 pm

Suggestion: Check yard sales and second hand stores for Easter Baskets for gift baskets for the pine cones. CAUTION:if setting container of cones near fire place, be sure it is where no Sparks are able to pop in it. A used
    gallon jug would be a pretty container filled with the cones also.

• Deb January 6, 2017, 10:32 am

Who offers the best price on the paraffin wax? Love the project.

• Susan Myers January 14, 2017, 12:52 am

Hi!

I usually find my wax at the best price at Walmart or my local grocery store. You can find it in the canning section.

• Catherine Halliday November 17, 2016, 7:31 am

Hi, love these pine cone, already have the wax looking forward trying colour, I am going to make a wreath for my MUM and DADS grave for Christmas, red and white will look lovely with a sprinkle of glitter.

Thank for your tutorial.

• Cathy Chesser October 14, 2016, 8:02 pm

I’m wasn’t so thrifty minded when I was younger. I made the beautiful wax pinecones as Christmas Gifts once when I was younger but thought them costly to make because I bought the red, green, silver, gold and white pretty Christmas candles and melted them down for the colorful pinecones. I still have a basket of them from 20 year’s ago. I’ve since learned about dollar store finds and how to be more budget crafty. Thanks for sharing. I think it’s time to update my pinecone collection and now I know how to make them affordable <3

• Beth Bower November 6, 2016, 12:51 pm

I’ve been saving the ends of candles and other candles that I haven’t used. Now I have a very big container of wax to use for gifts!

• Thelma Cooper September 19, 2016, 8:30 pm

I received some of these from my daughter a few years ago and loved displaying them by the fireplace for quite a while. I no longer have a fireplace, but may make them for friends that do. Thank you!

• Christine February 4, 2016, 11:56 am

This is so much fun to do. I save old candle remnants and dip my cones in this. It gives color and scent and is a great way to use the last bits of old candles.

• renee August 3, 2013, 9:58 pm

could you add essential oils to the waxed pinecones and could you use food coloring to color them with instead of crayons?

LOVE LOVE your tutorials

• Susan Myers August 6, 2013, 9:33 pm

Hi Renee,

Yes, you can definitely add essential oils to the wax. That would be awesome! I haven’t tried food color for color, but if you do, let me know how it comes out!

• cathy almon January 6, 2017, 2:17 pm

Food coloring does not work.

• Mariana July 30, 2013, 11:20 am

Wow!, I like, I like! I clean my wax utensils by putting it in a tin or something old and cover it totally with boiling water, let it cool and the wax will form a layer on top. Then you can take it off and put it away for future use.

• Jean January 22, 2013, 7:26 pm

It’s after Christmas now. Just found this site. Very nice. I made these pinecones but added glitter. When they were burned in a fireplace, the snap, crackle and pops gave a wonderful colorful sparks.

• jet December 12, 2012, 10:08 am

wooow i love the pretty look of the waxed dipped pincones.
    this is not only a smart gift for firestarters, but they are so pretty .
    i think this is a great idea for using for other things as well.
    thank you for the sharing and the great tute.
    love it.

• Lis December 3, 2012, 11:50 pm

This is a great gift idea for those on a budget. I’d like to try but have a question… is any sort of wick required? Also, can old candle wax be used? You know, all the remnants in the bottom of candle jars?

L

• Anonymous August 3, 2013, 9:01 pm

I would assume it could. It would be an easy way to add scent, if it was a scented candle!

• Anonymous December 12, 2015, 9:29 am

old wax is fine
      no wick ..probably put a bit of paper under the cones and light the paper to start the fire

• Katie December 20, 2011, 9:59 pm

Wow this is super creative!

• Crystal December 15, 2010, 3:42 am

These are so pretty. I am going to be on the look out for pine cones. I love the different colors.

• Jaimee November 20, 2010, 10:40 pm

Love this!! I have been collecting pinecones from my backyard with the sole purpose of trying to make firestarters for neighbors as a Christmas gift. Your tutorial is great. Love the way you packaged them up, too. Good job!

• Blue Ridge Altered Art November 18, 2010, 2:58 pm

Thanks for sharing. When my children were young(back in the 1970's) and money was very limited I made these firestarter cones and the icy candles for gifts. They were a big hit. I will have to make the time to do some this year. ~~Sherry~~

• Robin November 18, 2010, 12:31 pm

How WONDERFUL! You made it look doable!
    I'd so live it if you'd drop over and link this post to my All Things Merry & Brite Blog Linky!
    xo
    Robin
    All Things Heart and HOme

• Suzy November 18, 2010, 1:12 am

Hi Brandy!

For instructions, I would put: To use as a fire starter place the pine cone on top of the kindling and light the edge of one of the scales.

• Heather November 17, 2010, 10:13 pm

Great tutorial. I've heard of making these but never have, you make it look easy. Thanks for sharing!

• Brandy November 17, 2010, 9:38 pm

Ok so I would want to include instructions… We don't have a fireplace so what would I tell recipients?

Very nice gift idea!

• I Like To Cook 222 November 17, 2010, 5:45 pm

Wow! Super creative! Love it! I'm your newest follower!

• Simply Bungalow November 17, 2010, 5:31 am

Love those. What a great idea!

• Jill November 16, 2010, 9:43 pm

These baskets look great! A wonderful thrifty idea!
    Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit!
    hope you have a lovely week!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• Suzy November 16, 2010, 7:29 pm

The wax completely burns in the heat of the fire. I've never had an issue with residue.

Generally, though, I keep them as a decoration. They are kind of nice to look at. 🙂

• Deb and Mark November 16, 2010, 6:59 pm

Does the wax melt and leave sticky residue in the fireplace?

• cathy almon January 6, 2017, 2:15 pm

No, the wax completely burns up and leaves no residue in the fireplace. I use them daily to start my fires

• creativejewishmom/sara November 16, 2010, 10:12 am

Love the colored pinecones, and this technique is new to me…the gears are turning! Nice to "meet" you and thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling sunday! all the best!

• Happier Than a Pig in Mud November 14, 2010, 10:09 pm

I have a wood stove and know that fire starters are very helpful! I'm sure they will be well received:@)

• Diann November 14, 2010, 6:45 pm

These turned out wonderful! I made these several years ago for friends but, I totally forgot about it plus I never thought of using the crayons! Thanks for the tutorial!

• The Tablescaper November 14, 2010, 4:31 pm

Thanks so much for bringing your seasonal project to Seasonal Sundays!

– The Tablescaper

• Laura November 14, 2010, 2:50 pm

These are awesome. I didn't know you could do this!

Thanks for linking up. And don't forget to enter my along for the ride: designs giveaway! http://bit.ly/9cz33f

• AllieMakes! November 14, 2010, 2:08 pm

That is very cool! I dis not know that you could make those yourself! Very cool!
    You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

• The Tablescaper November 14, 2010, 4:52 am

Wonderful project.I'd love to have you join my weekly meme, Seasonal Sundays!

– The Tablescaper

• Moe November 13, 2010, 4:48 pm

That is such a neat idea! I love the blue color. Blue always reminds me of the holidays….I don't really know why… 🙂

• Threeundertwo November 12, 2010, 10:08 pm

What a great idea! I'm going to have the kids help me make some of these. We have tons of crayons and I'd really love to use them up. This is so brilliant and thrifty. Thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday!

• Bonnie@Creative Decorating November 12, 2010, 5:30 pm

Just stopping by from Fabulous Friday Party!! What a great idea and how pretty they look! Thanks for sharing!

• Michelle@Somedaycrafts November 12, 2010, 2:15 pm

That is a beautiful basket of pinecones.