Free Crochet Pattern- Vintage Ripple Fan Scarf

I’ve been in the midst of trying to sell my house over the past month.  For me, it is total stress.  The holidays brought very few showings, but now that the season is over I am hoping that things improve.  Sitting around and doing nothing is totally not my style, so as I wait for that perfect person to wander into my house and yell, “This is it!”, I have found myself taking on more and more projects.

I’d love to share a few of those projects with you- an upcoming quilt pattern, a few fun camper pot holders, and even a free crochet pattern called a Vintage Ripple Fan Scarf.  Want to see?

vintage fan ripple crochet stitch

The Vintage Ripple Fan Pattern comes from one of my old crochet magazines.  I updated the pattern just a bit and am in the process of making a brightly colored scarf with it.  And while I was at it, I even dabbled a bit in the field of videos and created a video to demonstrate the Double Triple Crochet stitches that are used in the fans of this pattern.  See, I told you I’ve been industrious!

Want the pattern?  Page down to the end of this post to find the free downloadable pattern along with my instructional video! But first, let me show you what else is going on around the Sitcom house!

quilt pattern

I just about have my next quilt pattern ready to be released.  It is currently sitting on my sewing table ready to be quilted.  I’m going to call it “Party Time”.  Once the quilting is completed, I’ll need to bind it and then create the downloadable pattern.  Expect to see this brightly colored quilt in the next few weeks!

As soon as this project is complete, I want to start a “Block of the Month” here on the Sitcom where each month I demonstrate how to create a different 12″ quilt block.  For those of you that are beginning quilters, this is a great way to experiment with different quilt patterns and learn the basics.  For more advanced quilters, it is a great way to find new patterns you love.  Either way, you end up with enough blocks for a nice sized lap quilt when the whole 12 months are put together.  Stay tuned for more information on this!

camper potholders

And speaking of bright colors, my mother and I sat down to my fabric collection last weekend and she selected some fun color combinations for some more of my free pattern: Happy Camper Pot Holders.  I plan on adding some sets of finished pot holders to my Etsy shop in the next month.

vintage ripple fan scarf pattern

So, let’s take a closer look at the Vintage Ripple Fan Scarf Pattern.  This pattern is incredibly simple.  Much simpler than it looks.  I am having a blast making it because I love the look of multiple bright colors and the combination of the single crochet stitches and Double Triple Crochet stitches makes it come together quite quickly!

Not so sure about that Double Triple Crochet Stitch?  Well here is a short video to help you out with that.  (Please disregard the Mickey Mouse voice and the ridiculous southern accent- it comes with the territory).

How to do the Double Triple Crochet Stitch (dtr)

Vintage Ripple Fan Scarf Crochet Pattern

(Click here for the printable pattern-Vintage Ripple Fan Scarf Crochet Pattern)

Crochet Hook: H/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight: (4 colors) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight

Important Note: All stitches are made in the back loop only.

1.With color A, Ch 55 stitches.  (The scarf in the photo is a bit wider- if you want to add to the width, each fan is 9 stitches)
2. Start with second chain from hook.  Do a sc in each of the next 4 st. (Do 3sc in the next stitch, then another sc in each of the next 8 st.) *repeat until last 4 stitches. Do a sc in each of the last four stitches.  Chain 1, turn.
3. (Skip one sc. One sc in each of the next 4 st, 3 sc in the next, one sc in each of the next 4 st. Skip two sc.) *repeat this to the end of the row. Chain 1, turn.
4. Same as row 3. Chain 1, turn.
5. Slip-stitch into the next 3 sc, back-loop only. Chain up 6 (this counts as the first dtr in the first fan). Do a dtr in each of the next 2 stitches, 3dtr in the next, and a dtr in each of the next 3 stitches. Skip 4 sc. (Do a dtr in each of the next 3 sc, 3dtr in the next, and a dtr in each of the next 3 sc. Skip 4 sc.) *repeat to the end of the row. Chain 1, turn. (See video to help with this row)

Rows 6-8- repeat rows 2-4. Change to color B

For each color strip from this point on, repeat row 5 and then rows 2-4, changing colors after row 4.  Continue with the pattern until the scarf is at the desired length.

vintage fan ripple crochet stitch

Want to see the finished project?  Click here and I will show you how to finish this scarf and block it.  And most likely, I’ll show you a few more projects in process at the same time!

Wish me luck on the house sale.  Seems I might need it.  Ha!

Made something with one of my patterns?  I would love to see what you came up with!

sign up for emails of Sitcom Are you new to the Sitcom?  Be sure to check out my Frequently Asked Questions Page! For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• rose April 8, 2017, 1:30 pm

thanks! this really beautiful… love your colors… i think i will make this in an afghan… different colors but love the pattern..

• sahana April 11, 2016, 11:07 am

Lovely pattern.Thank you for linking with us at #HomeMattersParty. We would love to have you again next week.

• Sherry April 10, 2016, 4:25 pm

I’m such a big crochet fanatic! I love the color scheme you have in your pattern. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Merry Monday.

• Laura @ Over The Apple Tree April 6, 2016, 11:28 am

Cool pattern, I’ve never seen that stitch before!

• Sinea Pies February 21, 2016, 11:48 am

I am so glad that you shared this at my party this week. Crochet is one of my favorite things that I don’t do anymore LOL I miss it but I just don’t have the time to add one more thing to my life right now. So, I pin great posts like this hoping to get around to it someday.

Featuring your post on Ducks n a Row Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop this week as one of my editor’s picks. ♥♥♥

• Whitney February 17, 2016, 2:53 pm

This scarf pattern is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

• Jenna February 17, 2016, 9:36 am

This looks like fun! Thanks for the great tutorial, I’ve been looking for a new crochet project~

• Kimberlee February 15, 2016, 5:29 pm

I love your ripple scarf! Pretty colors and stitch pattern. Good luck with selling your house.

• Lisa Johnson October 26, 2015, 10:24 pm

I’m having a problem with the 3rd row. In the repeat section, the beginning it says skip 1 stitch to begin with then at the end says to skip 3. So after the first set, do I skip 4? Or am I misreading this? Also, if I skip the last 2 stitches then where do I put the chain one for the turn? Please help, I love love love this pattern.

• Susan Myers October 28, 2015, 4:30 pm

Hi Lisa!
      3. (Skip one sc. One sc in each of the next 4 st, 3 sc in the next, one sc in each of the next 4 st. Skip two sc.) *repeat this to the end of the row. Chain 1, turn. 4. Same as row 3. Chain 1, turn.

What I meant by this was at the end of row 3, you will have two stitches left over from row 2 that you do not crochet in. At this point, chain 1 and turn. Skip one stitch on your new row, and continue with a repeat of row three. The two stitch increase in each fan makes up for the decreases.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, just let me know. Would love to see what you come up with!

• Stephanie April 15, 2015, 1:48 pm

I am so glad that I found your site. I can’t wait to start the vintage ripple fan scarf, I am going to add extra stitches to make it into a wrap for a friend of mine for her for this coming Christmas.

• Susan Myers April 18, 2015, 1:33 pm

Hi Stephanie!

Would love to see what you come up with! The Vintage ripple fan scarf is a great pattern, and I think it will work with lots of different color combos!

• Dotti February 11, 2015, 9:14 pm

I am so glad I found your site. The things to see and do is truly amazing.
    Thanks.

• Susan Myers February 12, 2015, 4:35 pm

Hi Dotti,

Thank you so much for stopping by! I’m glad you enjoyed it! Stay tuned for lots more where that came from!

• Cindy @Cindys Recipes and Writings February 7, 2015, 8:27 pm

Thanks for sharing your patterns at Foodie Friends Friday!

• Anna February 7, 2015, 11:21 am

This is gorgeous! It’s going on my list of things to make 🙂

• Creative Mama Renee February 3, 2015, 10:51 pm

Love the color and texture of the scarf! I’m a beginner-ish knitter yet to delve into crochet, but it looks like it is pretty simple!

• Elise February 3, 2015, 9:53 pm

I love the texture of that scarf. I am pinning this one for sure! Good luck with selling your home. I just did that in November and it was a total whirlwind.

• Julie February 2, 2015, 3:26 am

Love that crochet stitch and your super bright colour combo! FAB!

• Marie C January 28, 2015, 1:51 pm

This will make really nice gifts for my 8 granddaughters for Christmas.Seems really quick,I like that.Love your site.Keep up the good work. Marie

• Susan Myers February 2, 2015, 4:40 pm

Hi Marie,

It is quick! Would love to see what you come up with! Thank you so much for stopping by!

• Denise January 27, 2015, 4:23 pm

I’ve had my house on the market since August. Keeping my fingers crossed that we both sell our houses by June or next month, which would be lovely.

• Susan Myers January 28, 2015, 1:40 pm

Hi Denise!

Oh, let’s both go for next month! LOL! I don’t know about you, but the stress is totally messing with me. Good luck to you on your house sale and your next adventure!

• Sue S January 27, 2015, 3:55 pm

Just love it! I love the colors too!.. I’ll have to try this one after I finish the baby afghan for my first granddaughter. Thanks for sharing.

• Susan Myers January 28, 2015, 1:38 pm

Hi Sue!

Thank you so much! Would love to see what you come up with!

• norene January 27, 2015, 3:38 pm

I might even try that pattern. It looks great and I loved the video.

• Susan Myers January 28, 2015, 1:36 pm

Thank you! Making a video turned out to be not as difficult as I thought!

• Lynda January 27, 2015, 3:32 pm

I’ve already printed out the pattern for this, LOL, thanks! I love the vibrant colors you used and your video is fantastic! Make more videos!