DIY Mosaic with Eggshells!

We are busy getting ready to go on our big adventure.  We will be working at a campground in Bar Harbor, Maine starting in April.  That means lots of preparation, selling of things, and even buying of uniforms.  Since we will be dealing with the public, it probably means I can’t be running around in my Sponge Bob Square Pants t-shirt all the time.

Bummer.

Then decided I needed a pretty mosaic toothbrush holder to put my bathroom stuff in.

mosaic egg shell vase

Always crafting.  It is a curse, you see.

Anyway, I designed a mosaic toothbrush holder made from egg shells!  I like to call this the “poor man” mosaic technique.  Looks fancy, but really isn’t!  Want to know how to make one?

Amazon Affiliate links below:

8 hard boiled eggs
glass vase from the dollar store
White primer
Gloss Mod Podge
Egg coloring kit
Vinegar

mosaic egg shell vase

I found my little glass vase at the dollar store.  Apply a coat of white primer to the vase.

mosaic egg shell vase

Begin by hard boiling the eggs and then coloring them using the instructions on the egg coloring kit.  I colored mine in blues, purples and greens.  To get the different shades, I left them in the coloring solution for different periods of time.

Once the eggs are dry, carefully peel them.  Set the shells aside for this project, and then use your hard boiled eggs for something awesome like deviled eggs!  See- this project is two projects in one!

mosaic egg shell vase

Now for the fun part!  I drew a few designs on my pot with a pencil and then used the different colored shells in areas.

mosaic egg shell vase

Paint a bit of the Mod Podge in a small area and then add larger pieces of shells in place, pressing them down to form the shape of the vase.

mosaic egg shell vase

I found that with the smaller pieces of shell, it was easier to dip my brush in the Mod Podge and pick up the pieces with the end of the brush.  Add more Mod Podge to the top of the shells as you go.

mosaic egg shell vase

And the finished vase looks perfect with my new bathroom!

For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Donella April 6, 2017, 11:12 am

Oh my goodness… that’s so creative! The final product is just beautiful. I never thought of doing anything like this with our eggshells.

• What an amazing idea! It looks so cool, and I was shocked when I read that it’s made from eggshells!! 🙂 Lisa

• asha March 9, 2016, 1:42 am

Wow ! what a wonderful idea …your toothpast holder is too good. thanks for sharing.i cant wait to try these in deiff colours.

• Brandi Clevinger February 28, 2015, 1:49 pm

That’s a beautiful vase! My husband and I just bought a tube of Optic White last week and we are loving it so far! I took a before picture and I’m going to take an after picture when the tube is done. I’m curious to see if it works as well as it claims.

Thanks for sharing your post at Inspire Me Mondays!

• Amy @ Ms. Toody Goo Shoes February 27, 2015, 11:05 pm

How clever! Thanks so much for linking this up at Best of the Weekend!

• Samantha K February 25, 2015, 8:24 pm

I love a fun DIY project to brighten up and hold everyday essentials! Your smile is wonderful 🙂 #client

• Audrey February 24, 2015, 4:34 pm

Well, I never thought Mod Podge would be able to hold it all together and waterproof it like that. Really beautiful..

Saw this on You’re Gonna Love It

• Kathy February 23, 2015, 12:42 pm

Suzy,
    Love the vase, but love more that you are spending time in Bar Harbor! I spent many vacations there as a kid and then a few more with my husband before we moved south. It is a beautiful area, if you have never been there before. Not like the nice warm beach days here in the south though!

• Lisa February 23, 2015, 1:53 am

HI, this Mosaic EggShell Vase turned out so cute. I’m coming over from the Inspiration Monday Link Party. We also have a Something to Talk About it Link Party that goes live tomorrow Monday at 6 am est and think our friends would absolutely love this too. If you have time we’d love you to come join us and link up. Thank you, Lisa at Concord Cottage

• Heather February 22, 2015, 9:47 pm

What a cool project! Thanks for linking up at Motivation Monday 🙂

• heather February 19, 2015, 5:28 am

Love the little toothpaste holder. Who would have thought it was done with egg shells. Love your model smile too 🙂

• Lalita Solomon February 19, 2015, 3:49 am

Dear Suzy, Your tutorial and your shining white teeth are just awesome………
    Your glass container is lookig so beautiful with shades of blue… cant wait to start mine…………., just want to say ,a very big thank you for sharing……..God bless

• NancyGrace February 18, 2015, 6:12 pm

‘Fess up, girl. You took the “finished” photo before the backside was finished, didn’t you? That will teach you to artistically use a mirror as a photo prop! LOL
    The egg shell mosaic is ADORABLE, and i like thinking of you cutting time corners between your projects and your deadlines. REALITY SHOWS, doesn’t it?
    Ahh, but who else but me would catch it?

(Or am I wrong and the mirror is showing UNdyed egg shells rather than NO egg shells?)

• Susan Myers February 18, 2015, 7:58 pm

You crack me up! And yes, only you would have caught that! The photos were actually taken out of order. I had to get a shot of the toothpaste before it was used and so I took that shot before the project was complete. And yes there are major deadlines on all my projects, but I have this ADHD thing about finishing them. My niece is now the proud owner of that little vase because we simply can’t keep most things I make anymore. We will be moving into our RV permanently about mid March.

Good eyes, Nancy Grace!

Love you!!

• Anonymous May 1, 2016, 3:07 pm

At what point did u use the vinegar?

• Susan Myers May 1, 2016, 9:47 pm

Hi! Vinegar was used with the Easter egg coloring kit per instructions on the kit.