Easy to make Glass Sun Catchers!

It is summertime and a little sunshine does us all good!  Here in Maine, we are welcoming it with open arms after a particularly blustery spring.  The sun not only provides warmth and brightness to our day, but energy to those that harness it through solar panels.

As full time RV’ers, that is of definite interest to us.  So, with that in mind, I put together a fun sun catcher project to go along with this sunny theme!

sun catchers kids craft

You will be surprised at how simple this sun catcher project is!  In fact, it is a great project for the kids on a warm sunny day.

sun catchers kids craft

So let’s make some sunny sun catchers to catch some of those rays!

Some amazon affiliate links below:

Assorted colored glass cabochons (I found mine at Walmart in the floral section)
Clear Elmer’s School Glue
Assorted plastic lids
Fishing line

sun catchers kids craft

I saved most of my lids from butter and yogurt containers for this project.  To begin, simply pour some of the clear glue into the lid and spread throughout the whole lid in a thick layer.

Now let’s add some color!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2

• sandy March 13, 2017, 10:30 am

Hi just love your site…Wanting to make some of the sun catchers but wondering if you use a piece of a straw to make an area for the hole. I’m thinking of using some kind of clear silicone so they can also go outside, just thinking outloud..Your great…Thanks

• Susan Myers March 13, 2017, 9:05 pm

Hi Sandy!

That just might work! I’d love to see what you come up with!

• Jody February 8, 2017, 4:02 pm

You can buy the colored stones in the Dollar Tree. Used them all Christmas season long and I used mod podge which has a water protecting type. That way you could hang them on the porch or in the trees.
    They are so cheerful looking. Mod podge does dry clear.

• Claudia February 8, 2017, 1:14 pm

I love this project. It is a must try for me and the kids very soon.

• Barb January 22, 2017, 12:53 am

What can be used to make them weather proof for hanging outside?

• lynb February 8, 2017, 2:16 pm

Be sure to use waterproof glue. The other ingredients are glass and plastic.

• ildiko February 8, 2017, 3:05 pm

Maybe Liquid Nails, comes in tube or like a caulking for REALLY big jobs. Works for outside projects in Florida.

• sandy March 13, 2017, 10:21 am

Put a straw in it (a small piece) standing upward of course so you can take it out and then it’s easier to make a hole in it be careful not to crack it.

• Debbie Young September 26, 2016, 10:46 pm

I can’t wait to try this project get my niece involved and we will have a great time making them. So pretty thanks for the great idea….

• Ruth September 15, 2016, 5:39 pm

I love these sun catchers. I am making Christmas Tree ornaments with these and sprinkling them with glitter! Then I’m spraying them with Krylon Crystal Clear. So pretty!!

• Susan Myers September 18, 2016, 1:45 pm

Hi Ruth!

What a great idea! Would love to see what you come up with!

• Carolyn September 7, 2016, 1:11 am

This looks like a fun idea and they look so cheerful. I wonder if they would be weather-safe with a few coats of spray-on acrylic sealer; I’d love to hang them from the top of my front porch. They wouldn’t get rained on but it gets hot and humid where I live (Southeast US)

• Susan Myers September 18, 2016, 1:43 pm

Hi Carolyn!

I would recommend using a different type of glue. I used the school glue as a kids craft idea. But if you tried resin, you would get the same effect and they would be outdoor friendly, especially in the humid weather.
      Hope that helps!

• Rachel Taylor August 29, 2016, 10:30 pm

hi it didn’t work very well fell apart after a month no real way to keep the fishing line it without it coming out … figure out some other method to keep them in there …thought it was a great idea but the marble things were too heavy …

• Susan Myers August 30, 2016, 12:43 am

I’m sorry it didn’t work for you! Maybe not enough glue? Mine are still hanging in my window a year later!

• THEWKB July 18, 2016, 9:22 pm

Try using Epoxy glue. NOT soluable and will last for many years. Regular Elmer’s glue will take too long to dry and can be messy.

• Susan Myers July 19, 2016, 12:40 pm

Epoxy may work, it has fumes to worry about and is just as messy as any other glue. The point of this project was for the kids. Mine are still hanging in my window a year later.

• Desiree July 17, 2016, 8:00 pm

Where can I find the clear Elmers glue in bulk?

• Susan Myers July 18, 2016, 1:32 am

Hi!

You can find it in any craft supply store, office supply store, Walmart, or any place that sell school and craft supplies. I checked Amazon to see if they
      offered it in larger containers, but did not find it offered that way.

• Anonymous July 17, 2016, 7:59 pm

Where can you get the clear Elmer’s glue in bulk?

• Debbie July 12, 2016, 9:05 am

We made these at VBS (Vacation Bible School) last night. The kids loved it. Only sad they had to wait to take them home. Teaching patience, along with the Bible lesson. Thanks!

• Anonymous June 28, 2016, 8:25 am

I used clear silicone water resistant calk so I could hang them outside. Well, the calk wasn’t as transparent as I expected. I’ll try the clear Elders to see if it looks the your photo. They’re so pretty!

• Marilyn June 20, 2016, 6:38 pm

We are going to use this in our Create-a-craft class at the nursing home. The residents will love them

• Susan Myers June 23, 2016, 1:20 pm

That is awesome! Would love to see what you come up with!

• Marlene Cleaton June 16, 2016, 8:55 am

How do you attach the fishing line please?

• Suzanne June 12, 2016, 10:55 am

Wow…people don’t READ directions. So many questions asked here in the comment section are CLEARLY answered in the directions. I commend your patience.

• Susan Myers June 12, 2016, 12:28 pm

LOL! Thanks!!

• Woody February 8, 2017, 10:03 am

I read the directions three times and I cannot find what you did to the fishing line? Maybe I can’t see very well. ??

• Tammy June 11, 2016, 11:12 pm

It doesn’t say what glue.

• Susan Myers June 12, 2016, 1:33 am

On the project list, it states Clear Elmers School Glue.

• Anonymous June 29, 2016, 4:44 pm

Elmer’s clear glue

• Ruby Sterling June 11, 2016, 5:01 pm

Wonder if modge podge would work? So cute!

• Anonymous June 15, 2016, 1:46 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Or even rubber cement?

• Susan Myers June 15, 2016, 9:21 pm

You can use whatever you want. I used clear school glue for mine. Can’t guarantee the outcome of substitutes.

• Marie June 11, 2016, 4:19 pm

My granddaughter will be with us for a week and this is definitely on our list of “Fun Things to Do”. Thanks!

• Renee June 8, 2016, 9:23 pm

I wonder if clear silicone glue would work for hanging outdoors. I have some and may give it a try. Cute idea!

• Anonymous June 11, 2016, 6:05 pm

Let me know how it works

• Christy May 7, 2016, 10:16 am

I can’t wait to try this with my daughter! We are going to try adding glitter to the glue. Thank you! 😀

• Anonymous May 7, 2016, 10:14 am

I can’t wait to try this with my daughter! We are going to try adding some glitter to the glue! Thank you! 😀

• Tanya February 18, 2016, 2:40 pm

I have a question. If you put it outside will the glue melt in the heat. I have found out with hot glue it will melt over time. Thank you. Tanya

• Susan Myers February 19, 2016, 11:12 am

Hi Tanya,
      These are not meant for outdoors. Because it is a kids craft, I used Elmers clear school glue which is water soluable. However, mine have been hanging in my window for six months now (inside) and are fine. I live in sunny Florida and the heat has not bothered them.

• Shirley February 5, 2016, 11:24 am

Just found your website and would like be on you easy project list. Going to make your lid with cabochon beads. Thanks

• Njoy January 24, 2016, 8:07 pm

I loved these too. When I made mine and turned them over to dry more, they started to curl in from the rim. Am I doing something wrong? Also in some cases, the glue shrunk around the edges in places causing the cabochon to come loose. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to make these better. Thanks.

• Susan Myers January 24, 2016, 9:55 pm

Hi!
      My only suggestion would be to be sure you use plenty of glue. I filled up the lids and then put the cabochons and added glue on top. The finished sun catchers were at least 1/4″ thick. Hope that helps.

• Cindi November 15, 2015, 1:12 pm

My grandkids had a blast doing this, I goofed up and didn’t used clear glue. Couldn’t find any. They liked theirs anyway! Age 6 and 3. Thanks for the cool idea!!

• carol October 15, 2015, 12:01 am

I want to make these. I have 3 dz. Glue but its white. Can i use this or will it show?

• Susan Myers October 15, 2015, 10:04 am

Hi Carol!
      I would only use clear glue. The white glue will not dry clear and you will not have the same effect.

• Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai June 27, 2015, 12:18 am

Oooh, pretty! I love this project. I bet it is absolutely gorgeous with the sun shining through it. Please come share your blog posts over at the Home Matters Linky Party! We’d love to have you for a visit. The Door is OPEN. http://lifewithlorelai.com/2015/06/25/home-matters-linky-party-43/ 🙂

~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

• Elaine June 25, 2015, 10:33 am

That is pretty cool!! I really like these…going to try!! Hey I would love if you came and shared your stuff at my blog hop…My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! I’d love to have you!!

• Kristine Hart June 24, 2015, 3:03 pm

What a great idea. Dollar Tree has these and I’ve always wanted to do something with them and this is perfect! Thank you so much!

Kristine 🙂

• Marie@The Interior Frugalista June 24, 2015, 11:05 am

I love this idea Suzy! So doing this for my garden. Glad your sun catchers caught my eye at the From Dream To Reality Party. Pinning!

• Audrey June 23, 2015, 11:08 am

Love it! I have to think about what to use so I can have them outside. I have a really plain fence that these would look fabulous on. Thanks for the inspiration.

visiting from You’re Gonna Love It

• Anonymous March 13, 2016, 1:37 pm

what about clear waterproof caulking???

• Ruby Sterling June 11, 2016, 5:01 pm

Wonder if modge podge would work? So cute!

• Susan Myers June 12, 2016, 1:39 am

Hi Ruby,

I haven’t tried Mod Podge. It might not dry as clear. And the Clear Glue is so much cheaper. Let me know if you try it and if it works out.

• Anonymous June 22, 2015, 1:14 pm

Love the suncatchers! Perfect to make with granddaughter!

• Nina Lewis June 22, 2015, 11:22 am

What a beautiful sun catcher. And such a clever idea on how to make it!

I have a link party that I am trying to grow. I invite you to share this idea (and a couple of others) at my Grandma Ideas Sharing Time link up at http://grandmaideas.com. I think my readers would LOVE this idea.

My linkup is open Wednesday through Friday at midnight. I hope to see you there!

All the best,
    Nina

• Bernice June 16, 2015, 1:26 pm

Wow! This is the best I have seen yet for a sun catcher. I have used old CDs and glued half marbles and little mirrors to them and hung them,but this looks so much easier and you get the full effect of sun coming through . I am a glassaholic and same with sun! Anything blingy.love. I love following your rv…I think we can consider it also. Hubs retired 2 1/2months ago . We moved to Ensenada; besides his ministry he is restless , fish out of water… Keep the easy crafts coming! Thanks for this one. I know some young girls who will love doing this with me.