Free Pot Scrubby Crochet Pattern!

It’s time to think about unique gift ideas, and homemade gifts are the best!  You see, about a month ago, I asked my readers what they would love to see in the future on the Sitcom.  And I had so many wonderful suggestions.  This week, I am creating one of those suggestions!  Vicki said:

The one thing I am trying to learn to crochet again to make IF I ever locate instructions is for a scrubby pad. My husband’s grandmother made them to give to all the women each year at Thanksgiving but I never thought to ask if she would write down how she made them exactly and now she’s gone sadly.

Well, you know I love a challenge.

dish scrub crochet pattern

I’m not sure if these are exactly how Vicki remembers them, but these are my version of crocheted pot scrubbies made from nylon netting.

They make fabulous handmade gifts!  I plan on adding them to gift bags along with measuring spoons, cooking utensils, pot holders and a recipe book.

Want to know how to make them?

dish scrub crochet pattern

1/2 yard of nylon netting per scrubby
Size G crochet hook
scissors
ruler

Begin by cutting the netting into 1″ strips.  Since the netting was a bit difficult to work with, I used a ruler to judge the one inch mark and then cut it into strips that were approximately 1″ wide.

Now we are ready to start crocheting!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Jenny February 17, 2018, 11:22 am

These are wonderful for dishes, you are so talented. Thank you for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty

• Carroll February 11, 2018, 9:27 am

I have kept the netting from purchased bath scrubbies that have unravelled over time. This is a good idea and keeps the netting out of a landfill.

• Carol February 10, 2018, 11:17 pm

I have made alot of these scrubbies, but you said you made yours out of Nylon netting, mine are out of tulle like netting,and some are flimsy material where do you find the netting you use.

• Lis February 11, 2018, 3:33 am

I save all my old net bath ball things and use them to make these. They work great and I think that is what Suzy has used as well ( from looking at her pictures).

• Susan Myers February 11, 2018, 11:39 am

Hi Carol,

I found the nylon netting at my local fabric store. I believe it was Hobby Lobby. Since that post was written, I’ve noticed that Walmart sells nylon netting in skeins now, specifically for this type of project!

Hope that helps!

• Barbara Haley May 28, 2016, 11:03 am

Thank you for pattern , I had received one of these , as a gift, and always wanted the pattern . Thank you again

• Besseling Jean May 8, 2016, 6:41 pm

When a shower scrubby falls apart I make scrubbies out of them just cut into strips recycle

• Pam December 20, 2015, 2:17 pm

You do know if a knitted pattern that can make these scrubbed? For some reason I cannot get the hang of crocheting. I love them and would love to knit some for Christmas presents next year, and of course knit a couple for myself.

Thanks.

• Marny CA July 25, 2016, 1:18 am

How about Casting On however many stitches you want for the finished size, and then knit every row until it’s the size you want.

Leave the finished rectangle (for instance) as is, or fold it in half and stitch around the edges.

No one says a scrubby has to be a puffy circle.

• Sharilee December 16, 2015, 11:29 am

Wow! I have always wondered how these are made. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Lois December 15, 2015, 6:36 pm

I have made 100’s of these over the past few years. I cut my strips in 2″ strips the width of the net. I use 7 strips per scrubbie and tie them together. The easiest way to cut them is use a rotary cutter and a cutting mat.

• Susan Myers December 16, 2015, 10:39 pm

Hi Lois!

Thanks so much for the great tips!!

• Anonymous December 21, 2015, 1:54 pm

Could you be a little more helpful ,as I have never crochet in my live but really love the pot scrubbys and can’t always find a craft sale to buy then .i do not know how to start it or your turns of letters.

• Barbara February 10, 2018, 11:20 pm

I knit my scrubbies into squares. 10 yards of heavy nylon net. Cut lengthwise 1.5 inches wide (approx). Makes one continuous piece. Use size 10 knitting needles. Cast on 13 stitches and continue knitting until all netting is almost used up. Leave enough to cast off. Sometimes I will leave a tail so the scrubbie can be hung up. Makes 25 scrubbies.

• Jessy @ The Life Jolie December 15, 2015, 2:33 pm

What a great idea! I actually think these would be great stocking stuffers!

• Kimberlee December 14, 2015, 9:38 pm

Those little scrubbies are the best. My husbands 90 year old aunt still makes them and we get some from her occasionally.

• VickiT December 9, 2015, 6:34 am

THANK YOU so much Suzy for taking your time to create this! I am so happy you took the time from your other things you have going on to figure this out! You are awesome! I’m very glad that you are going to be using those in gift bags as well.

As I had said, I’ve been searching for something like this for a number of years now and all I kept finding was something similar made from other materials than the netting and I knew that wasn’t what I wanted. My one question now, since I haven’t even attempted to find it, is where this nylon netting is found. Is it sold on small bolts similar to tulle and in that same area of a fabric store or by the bolt where one would need to take it to be cut to size at the cutting tables? I know it’s similar to what those body scrubby things are made from and really I wonder if ripping one of those apart would work since they are found so cheaply at dollar stores and others. I’ll resort from attempting to use my old ones though once they are no longer usable in the shower. LOL (of course, that may be a cheap way for me to see if I can figure out how to follow your instructions without spending money even if it goes to the trash afterward)

I do know whatever I do, this won’t be until early next year as I have far too many things to get done before the holidays that I haven’t even started yet. 🙁 Sometimes I really hate myself for being the Queen of Procrastination and one that works so much better under pressure of a deadline. That is something I REALLY need to stop as it just adds stress to my life at times I don’t need to have it.

Thank you again for taking your time to figure this out.

• Susan Myers December 10, 2015, 9:41 am

Hi Vicki!

You are very welcome! I should thank you for the suggestion! I love it when readers ask me to figure something out.

As for the netting, I found mine at JoAnnes Fabric store in the specialty fabric section. They had lots of colors so I couldn’t pick just one. It is inexpensive and I bought just a half yard of each. Netting and tulle are two different things. Netting is a bit stiffer and makes a better pot scrubber, while tulle is often used in things like body scrubbys. Of course, I do believe that you could get away with using either one.

Why not start with a body scrubby and see what you can come up with? Would love to see what you make!

• DiEtta December 7, 2015, 1:21 pm

Wow Suzy thanks for sharing this pattern with us. My mom would always bring one of these to me every once in a while! She loved making them! ! It brings back “warm fuzzy” memories of my mom. I miss her so much. It’s been just over a year that I lost her. But her memories are here with us through all her home made crochet things she left behind. Thanks again Suzy…..down loaded the pattern and will be passing my moms memories on thru these. 🙂

• Susan Myers December 10, 2015, 9:46 am

Hi Dietta!
      I’m so sorry to hear about your mom passing. I know it is hard. Especially this time of year. I’m glad that this pattern brought back fond memories for you!

• Lynda December 7, 2015, 10:16 am

Those are really cool and pretty too!