Feature Friday- Snowflake Soaps Tutorial

easy to make snowflake soaps for gifts

The idea of one-time-use soaps has been intriguing me lately. So I decided to try my hand at making some snowflake soaps. With Christmas right around the corner, I am in need of some inexpensive, thoughtful gifts to give my coworkers and these just seem to fit the bill.

Felt pre-cut snowflakes
Clear Glycerine Melt and Pour Soap
Peppermint Soap Scent

I found the pre-cut snowflakes at the Dollar Store. They were a bit too big for my purposes, so I trimmed them down to a size that seemed appropriate for soaps.

My original plan was to cut my own felt, but I found out rather quickly that I apparently don’t own a sharp enough pair of scissors and the proper patience to do it. So the Dollar Store came to the rescue.

Clear Glycerine Melt and Pour Soap can be found at any craft supply store. It is rather inexpensive and even more so if you are armed with a 40% off coupon, so this project ended up costing me under ten dollars including all supplies. I also purchased peppermint soap scent to make the soaps even more Christmassy.

Put some of the soap into a microwave safe dish or measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds at a time. Stir and microwave another 30 seconds. Repeat until most of the soap is melted.

At this point, remove it from the microwave and stir until the final pieces have melted. This is important as you do not want to overheat the soap. The residual heat after removing it from the microwave will melt the rest of the soap.  Add five or six drops of scent to the liquid soap and stir. Try not to go too overboard on the scent. You don’t want to overpower things.

Now dip the felt snowflakes in, one by one and lay them on wax paper or foil to dry.

easy to make snowflake soaps for gifts1

Here you can see the sheen of the soap on the felt. Just enough soap for a good hand washing and the felt inside makes a little disposable washcloth.

easy to make snowflake soaps for gifts2

This project took very little time and I ended up with some great little gifts. I wrapped a few snowflakes in a cellophane bag, tied it with a pretty blue ribbon and will be giving them to my coworkers along with a Christmas card.

And cleanup was so easy! Just allow the leftover soap to harden in your container and pop it out. You can store it to reheat for your next project! My kitchen now smells like peppermint soap. Not too shabby.

Now that I have completed the project, I have thought of a few tweaks that might make it more interesting. Maybe use white soap instead of clear or blue felt instead of white with the clear soap. There are so many possibilities!

Enjoyed this tutorial?  Then be sure to check out the other soap making tutorials below:

Single Use Christmas Soaps
Conversation Hearts Soaps

Handmade Decorative Soaps

For over 100 more tutorial for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page !

• Marge September 15, 2015, 1:26 am

Great idea for holiday parties…

• Madeleine August 19, 2015, 2:16 pm

HI! I would like to know how much time could I keep them? I want to make them for Christmas but If I could make them now(5 months earlier) it will be more practical for me!

• jet January 7, 2013, 8:42 am

wooow this is a briliant idea, great tute as well.
    thank you for the sharing, the other version of the same is as well awesome.
    love them both!!!!

• Cindy deRosier January 2, 2013, 9:59 pm

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

• Leslie November 29, 2012, 5:17 pm

I made the snowflakes and they turned out so beautiful. I added a sprinkle of red and green glitter to the soap to add color.

• Patty November 16, 2012, 12:22 am

I cannot find any felt snowflakes – and I’ve looked at all the craft stores!

• Suzy November 16, 2012, 11:33 am

Hi Patty!

I found my felt snowflakes at the Dollar Store over a year ago. You can check there, or check in the precut felted christmas stuff (sometimes in the kids craft aisle) in the craft stores. If you absolutely cannot find it, you can always cut your own. I cut my own hearts and made Valentine soaps last year also. Hope that helps.

• Irene Hawn January 6, 2012, 9:29 pm

I was just browsing the craft sites your snowflake soap idea is fabulous I definetly try this next year. Thanks Irene

• The SPANGLER December 23, 2010, 2:03 pm

Absolutely ♥ this idea… oh what a little prettiness such as these could bring into my very ordinary '60's style bathroom… cannot say just how much I ♥ LOVE ♥ this crafty idea!
    Am your newest follower… if you get a chance pop over and say hi at thequickunpick.blogspot.com

Cheers & Merry Christmas

• Andi @ Jane of all crafts December 23, 2010, 12:49 pm

What an awesome idea!!! I love how the felt acts as a washcloth also.

• Allison @ House of Hepworths December 23, 2010, 2:25 am

I love this post so much I featured it today at my Hookin' Up with HoH Link Party!

Stop on by and grab a button! You deserve it!! 😉

~Allison @ House of Hepworths

• Lisa B. December 23, 2010, 1:18 am

I seen another blogger who had done the one time use leaves and I thought then it would be neat to do snowflakes for the winter season. I've looked all over for snowflakes, thanks for sharing where you found them. I love the idea of the snowflake being felt and doubling for a cloth!

• Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas December 22, 2010, 9:25 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I “ Featured” you on Santa’s Gift Shoppe Blog Hop today for your great project & inspiration! Be sure to grab the “I was featured” on Santa’s Gift Shoppe Button/Code for your sidebar! You deserve it! Thanks so much..If you’re not a follower already we’d love for you to join us…

• Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma December 21, 2010, 8:33 pm

Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursdays…

{You'll be featured tomorrow so please stop by and pick your button up from my sidebar}

Can't wait to see what else you've got going in the upcoming weeks!

• Jana December 21, 2010, 3:12 am

I wanted to let you know you've been featured over at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

• AllieMakes! December 19, 2010, 11:14 pm

What a lovely idea! ANd it looks to be pretty easy too! Love it!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!

• Ann December 19, 2010, 4:47 pm

What a wonderful idea!! In my opinion, one of the best that I have seen in quite sometime. I envision using this idea to make lots of snowflakes and have them arranged in a cute basket in the guest bath for folks to use during our parties. Also, I'll wait until after Christmas cause our dollar store marks any remaining decorations half off…even better.
    Thank you so much for a wonderful idea.
    The Tattered Tassel

• Melissa December 17, 2010, 8:37 pm

That is such a cute idea. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

• April December 17, 2010, 8:01 pm

Awesome idea!

• Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com December 17, 2010, 3:47 pm

These are so cool!! I love the idea – I saw you over at Tickled Pink and had to come check it out. Thanks so much!

• Michelle@Somedaycrafts December 17, 2010, 2:29 pm

I am featuring these today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

• Life with the Lebedas December 16, 2010, 10:07 pm

What a great idea!! Awesome! Thanks for sharing & Linking up for Craftify It Thursday!

• Chantal December 16, 2010, 10:02 pm

What a great idea!

• Rita E December 16, 2010, 7:51 pm

This is a great idea! Will be checking out your other tutorials … thanks for sharing!

• Holly December 16, 2010, 7:16 pm

What a fun idea and so pretty too!

• Heather at Dragonfly Designs December 16, 2010, 2:21 am

What a cool idea! Thanks for linking up!

• Nikki December 15, 2010, 11:07 pm

I am in LOVE with this idea!! That is just so cool! I hit my goal of 50 links, so be sure to come back next week cuz I'm having a giveaway!!!!! Thanks for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day!!!!!!! :)

• Macey at Olivia Renn December 15, 2010, 4:04 pm

I love that you just linked these to Hump Day Link Love over at Olivia Renn. I was just working on my Sunday Funday post (featuring cool things I found over the week) this morning and I added you tutorial to it. Check back on Sunday and feel free to grab my button!

• Jo's Health Corner December 15, 2010, 3:22 pm

These are cute! What a great idea to make snow flake soaps.

• Stacy December 15, 2010, 1:44 am

These are great! I am going to feature these tomorrow. Thanks for linking these up today!!!

Stacy @ Not JUST A Housewife

• Stefanie December 14, 2010, 8:40 pm

What a fabulous idea! I think I could even make these! Thanks for sharing (coming over from Not Just A Housewife linky party)

• lotts to do December 14, 2010, 6:04 pm

I will def be doing this next year. This is an inexpensive way to make a little something for everybody.

• Michelle @ Crafts and Crap December 14, 2010, 3:40 pm

What a cute gift idea! Love it!!

• Jana December 14, 2010, 3:29 pm

Thanks for linking up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

• Meg December 14, 2010, 2:46 pm

This is awesome! I would never have thought of this. Great idea–thanks for sharing!

• amyswandering December 14, 2010, 4:56 am

What a cute idea! I want to make a little gift for our Christmas play directors, and this is perfect!

• Jill December 13, 2010, 11:19 pm

I've never seen this done before! I love this idea!
    Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit.
    hope you have a fabulous week!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• AmieAnn December 13, 2010, 8:45 pm

These are amazing! Love them! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo party!

• Lacy December 13, 2010, 8:34 pm

This idea is awesome! thanks for sharing!! (oh and i just didn't spell check my last comment)

• Catalina December 13, 2010, 5:55 pm

Hi, I like your blog, and hope to see you on mine. I'm your newest followers now. :)

• June@I will craft December 13, 2010, 5:21 pm

Wow, what a great idea. After looking at your picture on a few parties I finally stopped by to see exactly what this was. Fabulous idea for a single use soap. I might just have to try this myself.

• Serena December 13, 2010, 5:00 pm

This idea is awesome, I love it. I would love it if you added this to my Snoflake Linky Party over at my blog… http://naptimecrafting.blogspot.com/2010/12/snowflake-linky-party.html

• Suzy December 13, 2010, 4:42 pm

Jenny- The felt inside the soap can be used as a disposable "washcloth".

• the cape on the corner December 13, 2010, 4:30 pm

how great! love them!

• Shawna December 13, 2010, 4:05 pm

Oooh, they look great!!

• the thrifty ba December 13, 2010, 3:55 pm

coming from mad crafts…love this simple idea~

• Brandy December 13, 2010, 4:54 am

I found you on One Pretty Thing! I think that this is the cutest idea. They would be great for gifts or just holiday decor. So much fun!

• C.R.A.F.T. December 13, 2010, 1:53 am

what a great idea! come on over and link up to MMM :)

• Jenny December 12, 2010, 11:09 pm

What do you do with the felt snowflake after you wash with the soap?

• My Cottage Charm December 11, 2010, 7:09 pm

what a sweet idea for Christmas! :) I would love to make some of these for my guest bathroom…just adorable!
    Missy :)
    I have all my Christmas decor posted….come visit if you get a chance!

• LambAround December 11, 2010, 6:04 pm

You always have such cute ideas here! There's a surprise waiting for you on my blog :)

Thanks for linking up to my Not "Baaad" Sundays blog hop!

• Baye December 11, 2010, 1:34 pm

These would be so nice in the powder room at holiday time! Lovely AND practical.

• lnowak December 10, 2010, 7:54 pm

clever idea…come by and see me if you have the time!

• Lynne December 10, 2010, 3:54 pm

Those came out great! Seemed like they were not too stressful to make either.

• Lisa December 10, 2010, 2:13 pm

Super cute! Almost too pretty to use!