Recycled Crafts- Cut Paper Art from recycled magazines!

by Susan Myers on June 29, 2012

Another way to recycle magazines and create beautiful artwork at the same time, this cut paper art is not only colorful, but very easy to make!  So gather up your old magazines and I’ll show you how to make this recycled craft!

recycled magazine craft cut paper art

About once a month, I meet with my mom, sister and whoever else wants to show up, to create a crafty project together. Each time we meet, a different person is in charge of the “mystery” project.  We are only told what supplies to bring and it is always exciting to see what the person in charge has in mind to do.

This past week, my sister was in charge and her idea, based upon a few things she had found on Pinterest, was cut paper art using old magazines and construction paper.

For this project we used:

Old magazines
8″ x 10″  picture frames
black and brown construction paper
glue sticks
craft blade
cutting mat

recycled magazine craft cut paper art recycled magazine craft cut paper art

Take the frame apart.  You will be working with just the cardboard back of the frame.  Cut strips of colorful magazine pages, folding them lengthwise and glueing them down with your glue stick.  Glue them down with the folded edges approximately 1/4″ apart.

recycled magazine craft cut paper art

Try to use bright colored pages for the best contrast with your dark construction paper.

recycled magazine craft cut paper art recycled magazine craft cut paper art

Use the craft knife to trim the edges of all the paper to match the edges of the picture frame back.

recycled magazine craft cut paper art

Trim your construction paper to match the size of your picture.  Then trim an addition inch off of the bottom so that the finished art will show all the colored strips along the bottom.  Draw your pattern onto the paper, and then use a craft knife to cut out your picture.

If you would like the patterns, you can download the full size pdf versions of the potted plant and the butterflies here.

Butterflies
Potted Plant

recycled magazine craft cut paper art

Depending on how you are cutting it out, you might have to glue your construction paper down in sections.

recycled magazine craft cut paper art recycled magazine craft cut paper art

The final step is to put your frame back together!

recycled magazine craft cut paper art

This project was a ton of fun and only took us a few hours!

For over 100 more tutorials and recipes for all ages, be sure to visit my Tutorial Page!

Also, don’t miss my other blog,  Daily Holiday Blog, where every day is a holiday!

suzy_sign

Do you like recycled craft projects?  Then be sure to check out the following!

Faux Metal Wall Art from toilet paper tubes
Faux Tin Tiles from a disposable cookie sheet
Paper Reed Frames from recycled magazines

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Voni June 9, 2014 at 2:37 am

I think this is a beautiful idea. Such bright pretty colors always make me happy. I did have another thought. Why could this not be done with junk mail??

2 Joyce Fisher February 26, 2014 at 10:53 am

Hi Suzy,

This is such a FABULOUS idea! I just love the look of this project. Who knew that old magazine pages could be so gorgeous?!?!?! Well, I guess YOU did!!! Haha! I think I’ll download the pattern then load it into my Silhouette electronic cutter to make this, as I don’t have the patience to cut it by hand with a craft knife! If you don’t have an e-cutter Suzy, you should enter to win the Silhouette Portrait that I’m giving away on my website! (peaceloveandjoyce.com) You would LOVE it.

Peace, Love and Joy,
Joyce

3 Susan Myers February 26, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Thank you, Joyce! Would love to see how your project turns out! And will definitely swing by your site and enter the drawing! A Silhouette is one of the few craft supplies that I do not own!

4 Tracy May 10, 2013 at 5:00 am

OH! It’s from you! But I started doing it with fabric & placing the strips on at an angle. What I needed was just the right picture for letting the fabric show thru! Then I just now saw your Gossiping Birds!! As I was looking at your other patts. once again I realized where I’d gotten the idea of strips of color showing thru. It was you all along! Thanks!

5 Susan Myers May 11, 2013 at 11:06 pm

You are very welcome, Tracy! I’d love to see your finished project!

6 tetaterri October 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Yep, I don’t have a website yet. Nor a web store. Nor a blog. I have been in the wonderful world of my dreams and still working a 40ish hour a week job. The last few years have been kind of difficult and I now have time to discover blogs and websites and stores. I was always going to quilt when I “retired”, hear a but coming? I am now at home with pain and tremors and most times my hands won’t let me quilt. And I learned, the hard way, don’t wait until you retire to try something new, we are never promised tomorrow. Anyway, I just found your blog and you are wonderful. I am not in your league, but I want to try at least 1/3 of the tutorials. I will let you know how I fared.

7 Amy @ Heriyage Homemaker July 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm

What a great project! Looks like loads of great fun and creativity!

8 Shauna July 13, 2012 at 1:08 am

This is beautiful! I absolutely love the look of the vivid colors against the black. That is a combination I often use in my art and my choice of clothing. This project looks so complicated but it’s not at all. I’m going to do this with my art class of kids. We use magazines for a lot of projects so this is perfect! However, I thought we would use die cuts instead of craft knives since some of the kids are as young as eight. To be perfectly honest, I probably would do that just for myself as well. It’s easier plus I’m not so great with a craft knife. I think another interesting way to do this would be to use sticky back paper or sticky canvas or run cardstock through the xyron. Then instead of using magazine pages use leafing foil- the multicolored variegated type- and apply it and burnish it (as you would when foiling anything) all over the paper. Then proceed with the rest of the project. You could also just use foiling adhesive on the substrate in place of sticky canvas etc. Along the same lines I thought it would be really dramatic to use multicolored foil mirror cardstock instead of magazine pages. That would really pop against the black! I love projects that are great as is but also lend themselves to a lot of variation. Thanks for sharing this! I also think it’s so cool that you and your family and friends get together for art days. That would be a blast and in addition to making great art you’re making wonderful memories!

9 Suzy July 15, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Hi Shauna!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I’m so glad you liked my tutorial! It is always exciting to hear what my readers plan on doing with the ideas I try to give them. I would love to see photos of your finished project if you decide to make it!

10 Cheri July 5, 2012 at 8:45 am

I just wanted to let you know that I am featuring your project on July 10.

Cheri

11 Debra Kapellakis July 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Those are beautiful!

12 aula June 30, 2012 at 4:25 pm

this is awesome, very creative!!!!

13 Scrollwork June 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I was feeling bad that I’m not crafty enough with a craft knife to ensure clean cuts, until I read lacyquilter’s idea to use a die cut. I was planning to use a stencil! Yeah. Craftiness does also mean being clever.

Great idea, Suzy!

14 Ann Martin June 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

These are so pretty and thanks for the cutting files.

15 Suzy June 30, 2012 at 11:52 am

Thank you, Ann! It was a quick, fun summer project that has tons of possibilities!

16 lacyquilter June 30, 2012 at 8:22 am

I love these. I’m going to use this idea for a card, but use a die to cut the opening. Fun.

17 Creative Mind June 30, 2012 at 2:29 am

This is AWESOME dear,,perfect!!

18 Johnnie June 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm

This is super fun, Suzy!

19 norene June 29, 2012 at 8:38 am

I think they look great. It was a fun project.