Feature Friday- Introducing my latest kit – Chicken Run!

by Susan Myers on July 6, 2012

If you are familiar with my more popular projects, then you have probably seen my tutorial on my Faux Stained Glass Peacock.  Since that tutorial was published, I have had numerous requests for the pattern, and the kit and pattern are currently the biggest seller in my Etsy shop.

So, it stood to reason that I should come up with a new pattern for this unique technique of creating faux stained glass with acrylic paints and school glue.

And that is how Chicken Run came about!

The process is simple.  Just put the full sized pattern underneath a piece of glass from a thrift store frame.  Add black acrylic paint to a bottle of white school glue and using the nozzle of the glue bottle, follow the lines of the pattern.  This creates the “leading”.

Clear glue is mixed with a drop or two of acrylic paint and the glass is painted in vibrant colors.

And here it is with the afternoon sun shining through it!  A cool rooster dude with his wife and kids by his side, welcoming the sunshine into your room.  If you would like try this project, the kit is now available in my new blog store.

The kit includes:

One full sized pattern – 13″ x 16″
One bottle of white glue
One bottle of clear glue
Acrylic paints in the colors needed for this project
Paintbrush
One black sharpie pen
Full, illustrated instructions

All you need to supply is the thrift store frame and glass!

This is a great summer project that the whole family will enjoy, for only $20.00 plus shipping.  Please visit my new blog store and check out my available kits.   The store just opened and believe me, I have many more things coming, so stay tuned to the Sitcom!

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Brenda Williams July 10, 2012 at 12:19 am

AMAZING as always. You are so talented!

2 Paula July 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

very nice!!!!!

3 Bradford July 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Hey Suzy…will you one day maybe just sale the patterns? I already have all of my supplies but your patterns are so unique…one last question…when you put the clear glue into the muffin tin ….how much of the clear glue and how many drops of the acrylic paint did you mix with each? the reason I ask is this new rooster painting looks much more bright and vivid with the colors and transparent than the peacock…as always you amaze me…and I hope maybe you will sale the patterns on their own….keep up the good work…I need to start me a painting now

4 Suzy July 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Yep! The patterns will be coming out very soon! I am announcing it next week, but figured since you did ask, and you are one of my favorite readers; I certainly can’t keep a secret from you. I will be launching my first ebook- with the launch date tentatively the end of this month. The first book will have the pattern for the Peacock, along with a pattern for a unique table runner using the peacock pattern and illustrated instructions for the stained glass project. My second ebook will be launched around the end of August and it will include the pattern for Chicken Run along with several projects to make with it. Both books will be launched at the sale price of $7.00 ea. So please stay tuned!

5 Suzy July 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Oh- and about the paint. On Chicken Run, I used about 2 tablespoons clear glue to just a few drops of color. It seemed to give the overall design a much better look if the colors weren’t so saturated. Be sure to paint it on thickly, and try to avoid too many air bubbles. Be careful not to shake the glue ahead of time. Ha!

6 norene July 6, 2012 at 8:48 am

I love it! I would like to make one of those.

7 Lynda Champion July 6, 2012 at 8:29 am

that came out beautiful!! You’re always so good at choosing the colors!