Vintage Snowglobe Ornament Tutorial

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

A few weeks ago, I showed you a tutorial on Vintage Christmas ornaments; a 40 year old kit that I inherited from my grandmother.  I decided to recreate this ornament with modern materials and a few touches of my own.  A perfect idea for my annual ornament club party.  This year, with twelve members, I wanted to create twelve different scenes inside of my little handmade snowglobes so that each member received something a little different.

Round plastic containers from Dollar Store Tie Wraps
Styrofoam balls (the width of the containers)
Hot glue
White glue
Clear glitter
Small ornaments, Christmas greenery, and Jolee’s Boutique Dimensional Stickers
Holiday ribbons in various widths
Gold cording
Large pony beads in various colors

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

I located these plastic tube containers at the dollar store.  They contained zip ties.  Perfect for what I had in mind, I set the zip ties aside for future projects and cut the tube into a 4″ long length.  The styrofoam balls were another lucky dollar store find.  I used a knife to cut them each in half.

The ends of the tubes that I had cut off are actually great for putting paint or glue in while you are working.  I painted each half of the styrofoam balls with white glue and then sprinkled clear glitter on them.  I used a toothpick pushed into each one to set them on a foam board to dry.  I cut two half balls for each ornament.

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

I then created a scene on 12 of the half-balls of glittered styrofoam.  In this case, I used a 3D scrapbook sticker created by Jolee’s Boutique for the scene.  I backed it with cut pieces of greenery and added glitter around the base of the house.

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

In this case, I backed a scrapbooking sticker with a miniature tree and present, adding glitter around the base.  Each scene I created was different, sometimes using small ornaments, sometimes scrapbooking supplies. The main thing to remember is that it will need to fit inside your tubes, so be sure that it isn’t too tall or too wide.

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

Slide the tube over the scene, and add a line of hot glue around the edge of the styrofoam.  Push the tube into place.  Add hot glue to the edges of a top piece of styrofoam and glue to the top.  Cut ribbon the circumference of the tube.  Glue in place with hot glue to cover where the tube meets the styrofoam.

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

Use a toothpick to push a small hold in the top.  Cut a length of gold cording about 4″ long.  Add a dot of hot glue to the hole and push the ends of the cording in with the toothpick.  Cut some narrow ribbon, make it into a bow and add to the base of the cording with a dot of hot glue.  Finish by adding a matching pony bead to the bottom with a dot of hot glue.

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

Vintage Snowglobe Ornaments / Suzys Artsy Craftsy Sitcom #Christmas

And here is all twelve ornaments.  They were a big hit at the ornament club.

Which one is your favorite?

• Fran November 23, 2015, 3:38 pm

What a cute and clever idea! I love them all!!

• Carole October 26, 2015, 12:00 pm

made these from kit 40 years ago…now still hanging on tree every year.

• Bsrbsrs Fetterolf January 11, 2015, 11:18 am

I am definitely going to make these with my granddaughter her dad collects globes so these will be a neat alternative new ones for him and great way for her to contribute to him we will be making him some for his birthday this month that will be on a monkey theme he loves monkeys

• Joyce November 12, 2014, 11:06 am

I made 2 of these about 49 years ago when I first got married and our 3 children and 6 grand children have always loved them (yes, they still go on the tree every year, the kids demand it) I am going to surprise them and we are going to make some together for all of them…great memories for them to pass down

• Marilyn December 27, 2012, 3:55 pm

The chihuahua needs its own snow globe;)

• kathryn December 20, 2012, 1:57 pm

Love this, so cute, wanted to do snow globes but didnt want to do mason jars. This is so much better!

• Lisa Hall December 17, 2012, 7:48 am

Oh my goodness!
    These are just ADORABLE!
    My favorite is the one with the Nutcracker.
    My Granddaughter would love these!

• debi December 16, 2012, 11:01 pm

love these, i have some of the vintage ones and never thought they could be duplicated.. how fun!

• Gina Argyrou December 15, 2012, 10:01 pm

What a wonderful idea, thanks for sharing. Only wish we had dollar stores here in Greece. Love the angels!

• Paula December 14, 2012, 11:08 am

Couldnt pick just one as a favorite love them all, the ladies will love them!!!!

• jet December 14, 2012, 8:36 am

Well i’ can’t choose one, i love them all.
    Such a briliant idea of yours to make them not from jars. I never had thought of this idea. I’m flabbergasthed of this one.LOL
    very lovely and stunning and cool and a great tute as well. thank you for sharing them all.

• deb December 14, 2012, 8:22 am

OMGosh Suzy ! Another winner! I love the little house and i’m always a sucker
    for snowmen. You have the best ideas!

I did think up one question though…. i’m not well versed on styrofoam but i thought
    you had to use a special ‘styrofoam glue’ ?? Did that give you any problems?? Thanks so much for sharing! Hugs! deb

• Suzy December 16, 2012, 10:32 pm

Hi Deb,

You are right, I should have specified. I used a low temp hot glue gun. High temp is a big no-no for styrofoam, but a low temp one will not hurt it.

• Miss Kitty December 14, 2012, 4:28 am

Oh. So. Cute! Thanks for sharing how you made these adorable snowglobe-ish ornaments with us. You have a really good imagination to envision this concept from a packaging product.