Quilled Monogram Tutorial

Paper quilling is a simple craft with spectacular results.  I made a monogram out of quilled paper  for a wedding gift.

I’m always on the look out for crafts that I haven’t tried. While perusing the internet, I ran across a website called allthingspaper which absolutely inspired me. I was amazed at what you can make with a simple piece of paper. Not only did it make me happy to look at, but it appeased that inner cheapskate inside me. You can make something beautiful and not spend much more than pennies.

That’s my kind of project.

quilled paper monogram

My friend’s daughter is getting married in July, and I thought a handmade quilled monogram would be a perfect gift for her.

What is Paper Quilling?

Paper Quilling is the art of taking thin strips of paper of varying widths, and rolling, gluing and shaping them into different shapes.  While quilling seems to still be around on some handmade cards, you really don’t see it much these days. So after doing a bit of research, and looking at some online tutorials, I decided to go to the store to get supplies.

If you are a beginner at this particular skill, I highly recommend this Beginners Quilling Kit.

beginners quilling tool set

It includes quilling tools, basic instructions and even some paper strips to practice with!  When I created this monogram originally, I used just a clipped tapestry needle to quill with.  If I had this kit, it would have been so much easier!

paper crafts quilled butterfly headband

The technique is actually pretty simple. Cut your paper into strips. I cut mine in 1/4″ strips because I wanted my quilling to really pop.

fiskars portable paper cutter

For larger quilling projects like this, I have found that my little paper cutter is invaluable!  It can cut tons of strips of paper in no time!

So let’s start this project!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2 3

• Tina Meckley October 31, 2016, 3:06 pm

That letter for your daughter’s wedding gift was beautiful, I couldn’t believe it was just quilled paper!!! I have to try this craft !

• Mother of 3 May 25, 2016, 8:41 am

Beautiful! I love paper crafting and have been thinking of trying quilling. This looks so pretty! Pinned.

• sahana May 22, 2016, 11:25 pm

Looks so cool and pretty Thank you for sharing with us at #HomeMattersParty. We would love to have you again next week.

• Anonymous May 21, 2016, 6:56 pm

You are very talented! This is just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at Welcome Home Wednesdays. I hope you will join us again next week!

• Anonymous May 17, 2016, 10:37 pm

This is beautiful! I’ve never had the patience for quilling, but I always love the way it turns out when others do it! 😉

• Chelc | Inside the Fox Den May 17, 2016, 8:18 am

Paper quilling is so cool! I’ve always wanted to try it. Pinned! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday, hope to see you again next week!

• Debra Ann July 26, 2015, 4:39 pm

How did you make the body of the butterfly?
    Hope you are enjoying your new journeys!

Craft-on!

• Brandi Clevinger February 28, 2015, 1:52 pm

This is amazingly gorgeous! These are the type of gifts I love to receive because I appreciate the time and thought that goes into it.

Thanks for sharing at Inspire Me Mondays!

• Amy @ Ms. Toody Goo Shoes February 27, 2015, 11:02 pm

So pretty! Thanks so much for linking this up at Best of the Weekend!

• Anonymous October 11, 2014, 10:34 am

hey mam im tanvi .im in class 9th bt just love this type pf creative.i want ur so many suggestions so will u tell me ur fb profile so i can take some good tips from u……………..plsssss

• Sara Thompson May 28, 2013, 4:36 pm

I love that you are cheap. Me too! I bought my paper cutter from the office supply department for half the price of a scrapbooking cutter. I highly recommend looking in an office supply store (or section) because they have a ton of “scrapbooking” supplies for a lot less. I get my tape and paper there unless I need something more specialized.

• Christy@Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer May 26, 2013, 12:38 pm

This is so pretty!! I absolutely love receiving hand made gifts. It shows so much thought. Unfortunately, I’m the creative one so my friends and family are the lucky ones! I’m sure this will be treasured for years to come!
    XO,
    Christy

• Susan Myers May 26, 2013, 7:09 pm

Thanks so much! It was fun to make and the cool thing was that nobody else got them the same thing. Ha!

• Jeanette May 26, 2013, 10:03 am

I love the contrast between the color and also between the rustic look of your “leather” paper and the delicate swirls of the quilling.

• Paula May 25, 2013, 5:50 am

this is awesome, love it!!!
    I am cheap to I also use cardstock, I cant see ordering quilled strip, I use a Mini paper shreddar, which still takes a little time but worth it, I also have a tool made with a large needle for wider strips. only down fall with cardstock is theres not as many colors as the quilled papers you can get !
    Paula

• JoAnn April 19, 2012, 1:21 pm

Very Exquisite Looking piece. Not sure if I’d have the patience, but so glad you did! Wonderful work on this.
    JoAnn