Making Paper Beads with Cereal boxes!

The folks in my house love cereal.  It is a favorite for morning, noon and even a Good night snack. With that said, I often have a large amount of cereal boxes in my recycle bin to choose from when it comes to crafting. And why let something cool and colorful go to waste?  So I made paper beads from cereal boxes!

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

I just love the colors on these beads.  And they were simple enough to make too!

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

Both the hubby and his dad enjoy a late night snack in front of the TV every evening.  Ralph has a thing for cereal too, apparently.

I tell you, the cereal boxes are piling up!

During my last trip to Walmart, as I put the week’s cereal selection in the cart, I took note of how colorful those pretty boxes were.

Next thing you know, the guys were eating out of the bags!  Ha!  I don’t even think they noticed…

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

Because those pretty boxes were confiscated and getting prepared for my next project!

Cereal Boxes
Tacky Glue
14 gauge wire
Clear glossy Mod Podge
Elastic string

Begin by opening up the box along all the seams so it lays flat.  Then cut off the top and bottom tabs so that you have a rectangular piece of cardboard.

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

On the back side, use a ruler to draw a pencil line lengthwise along the box, starting at  3/4″ wide on one end and ending with 1/8″ wide on the other.  Cut along the line.

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

Cut out as many cardboard strips as you like.

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

I used a piece of 14 gauge wire to start the bead out.  Begin by wrapping the wide end of your strip around the wire, and then begin to coil up the cardboard around it.

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

About halfway through, you can remove the wire and keep on wrapping.  Once you reach the end of the narrow part of the strip, add several dots of tacky glue or white glue.  Hold tight for a few moments until it adheres.

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

Each bead looks different from the last.  I had a lot of fun with the colors on these boxes!

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

For the final touch, after the beads had dried, I lined them up on the piece of wire that I had used earlier which was stuck into a piece of styrofoam.  This makes it easy to add a coating or two of clear glossy sealant on all sides of my beads.  Once they are dry, simply separate them.

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

Oooh the possibilities!  Key chains, bracelets, necklaces….

diy cereal box beads kelloggs

I went with a pretty bracelet.  Simply stringing them onto some elastic string that I found in the jewelry section of the craft store.  Pretty.  Would you ever guess it started out with a cereal box?

For over 150 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Lisa B. June 8, 2016, 10:00 am

Good Morning!! I wanted to stop by and let you know that your post has been selected as a Featured post for the Welcome Home Wednesdays Link Party! Stop by this morning to see your post linked up and don’t forget to grab your Featured Button too! ~Lisa~

• Anonymous June 5, 2016, 7:44 pm

Such a fun idea for my children to make this summer. Thank you for the inspiration! We are going to make jewelry for our Meme!

Thanks so much for sharing your creativity at the The DIY Collective this week! Hope to see you again next Thursday.

Have an awesome week!
    ~ Ashley

• Shirley June 2, 2016, 4:20 pm

Very creative and interesting. I’m going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday. I’ll be sharing this on my G+ page and pinning to our party board.

• Emma May 29, 2016, 7:35 pm

How clever! I bet these are sturdy then the ones made from paper, too!

• Anonymous April 3, 2016, 3:53 am

This is such a FABULOUS idea! I just love the look of this project. Who knew that old magazine pages could be so gorgeous?!?!?! Well, thanks for sharing./.

• Natalie Bradley July 7, 2015, 7:32 am

What a fun idea!! I can’t wait to do this – added it to my projects list. 🙂 Please link up with us again tomorrow. 😉

• Marie July 1, 2015, 8:25 pm

These would be fantastic for kids to play dress up with! If they break, it’s no big deal. What a great idea!

• Michelle James July 1, 2015, 2:14 pm

This is the most creative thing EVER!! I want to try it. I haven’t had any cereal boxes for a while since my kids left home but you know…I just might buy some. LOL! Thanks for sharing.

• LAURIE July 1, 2015, 1:07 am

SUCH A FUN IDEA! I’LL BE FEATURING YOUR POST ON THE NEXT BRAG ABOUT IT PARTY! HOPE YOU CAN JOIN US AGAIN NEXT WEEK – PARTY STARTS MONDAY AT MIDNIGHT!
    ~LAURIE

• Lauren June 30, 2015, 5:25 pm

this is SO creative! I love how they turned out!

• Marie@The Interior Frugalista June 29, 2015, 10:12 am

What a fabulous idea! Hard to imagine those pretty beads were made from cereal boxes. Excellent tutorial too – thank you!

• Sonja June 28, 2015, 11:42 am

Wow, these look really great. Am surprised at how nice these turned out! Thank-you for sharing this idea. Will pin this one for later.

• Cindy deRosier August 11, 2014, 5:06 pm

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a neat project idea!

• NancyGrace July 26, 2014, 11:51 am

COOL, as usual, my dear! But as long as you are using Kellogg’s boxes, do you bother entering the Kelloggs Family Reward codes? I have been for a while, and discovered that Keebler is part of the family, too. Just thought you should know, because the points accumulate quickly….

• Susan Myers July 31, 2014, 11:00 pm

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely look into that! I am always looking for ways to save and I love prizes!

• Carolyn West July 22, 2014, 1:32 pm

I would never have thought to use cardboard boxes, much less cereal boxes. We usually use magazines for beads, but I actually like the colors of the boxes and that they are bigger. #client

• Eve July 21, 2014, 12:12 pm

I’ve made a ton of paper beads from brown bag to comic book but never cereal box. This should be fun. I use a large nail instead of the wire. These look cute with beads in between too. I sprinkled glitter and clear beads for Christmas, strung them on elastic thread, made bracelets and pushed about ten or so on a tin can for a sweet candle holder for the larger candles. These large ones here would look good as dangles for the tree don’t you think? Thanks for tute. 🙂

• norene July 21, 2014, 10:06 am

They turned out really pretty.

• jet July 21, 2014, 9:55 am

these are awesome, i know i have learned the commen ones of thinner magazine paper beads, but this looks even better, but i love big ones.LOL
    and i’m not living in the USA. I allways must laught at the tourist in my city that don’t understand the narrowly streets in the old historical cities.
    allthought sometimes i don’t like it neigther allways be aware of peeking of others inside your house. And allways wearing neatly cloths because of the overside neighours are watching you very easely.;-D
    so i’m making right now of used pet botles flowers that i hang in the safely cat balcone chicken wire. it’s helping to have a little bit more privacy.
    and it looks pretty as well beneath down in the shopping street.
    but only some are peeking upstairs in this street.
    my sis is such one;-D
    at first she thought it would to be too coloured but now she loves it.
    and i’m sure one day i will try this out as well;-D
    thank you very much of your tute and the sharing. Have a nice summer time;-D