DIY Butterfly Suncatcher

Guess what?  I put together a cool Aluminum Butterfly Suncatcher tutorial for you to hang on your rear view mirror!  Because a cool car needs a cool suncatcher, right?

Butterfly sun catcher diy

When I originally went car shopping a few years ago, I had in mind a four door family model.  Something that gets great gas mileage and didn’t really stand out in the crowd.  And then I ran across a cute VW Bug and that was it.  I needed that car.

Despite the fact that the husband’s head touches the ceiling, and he feels very much like it is a girly car, we bought it.  And recently, it has been upgraded to our only car- a tow vehicle to our RV!  So, I needed to pretty it up some.  With that in mind, I came up with a fun recycled craft suncatcher!

butterfly sun catcher from recycled pans

3 aluminum disposable pans (you can find them at your local grocery store)
Scissors
E6000 Glue (made for metal or glass)
Butterfly Pattern
Gemstones
Small piece of wire
Small piece of fishing line

butterfly sun catcher from recycled pans

Begin by cutting the aluminum pans into 1/4″ strips.  They don’t have to be perfectly even,  I did not use a ruler to measure them.  (Be careful as the metal is sharp.  You may want to use gloves).

Sitcom 2 step option

butterfly sun catcher from recycled pans

Since we are now living full time in our RV, this is my new craft room!

butterfly sun catcher from recycled pans

Roll each metal strip into a coil.  I did quite a few round ones, and some tear shaped ones where I just pinched the end.  You will need a good mix of both.

butterfly sun catcher from recycled pans

This is the result of one pan of coils.  It took about 2 and a half pans to create this particular butterfly.

Now lets put them together!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2

• Crystal Green July 30, 2016, 3:44 pm

This is very pretty. I like how the colors shine. I am sure my mom would have loved to have this in her yard.

Thank you for sharing this with us on the #HomeMattersParty. We hope to see you again when we open our doors at 12 AM EST on Friday.

• Laura July 29, 2016, 10:28 pm

What a great project!
    Thank you for sharing this with us at Thoughts of Home.

• Anonymous July 25, 2016, 4:47 pm

I love VW bugs and that’s my oldest daughter’s dream car. The foil butterfly is a cute way to add a little whimsy​ to the car.

• Peggy Bryant October 4, 2015, 12:59 am

I really like your ideas. Thank you 😊 for sharing

• Cindi April 11, 2015, 7:45 pm

Very cute!! I so want a VW!! Ole hippie here. LOL

• DiEtta April 11, 2015, 7:29 pm

Suzy this is such a cute and pretty easy sun-catcher. Just a thought….a “quilling tool” that you use for quilling (the one with the slot) would work great for this. It would save your fingers!!! Thanks Suzy I really like this tutorial. I will be making these for my outdoor patio. Big hugs and here’s to all your great travels. Thanks for all of your sharing! 🙂 Be safe!

• Irene April 12, 2015, 5:56 pm

I thought of my patio for hanging up a butterfly too. It would look so pretty with all the ‘jewels’ sparkling.
      Great idea for using a quilling tool.

• Susan Myers April 18, 2015, 1:09 pm

Hi Irene!

These sparkly butterflies would look beautiful on a patio! If you decide to make them, would love to see what you come up with!

• Susan Myers April 18, 2015, 1:07 pm

Hi Dietta!

That is a great idea! I couldn’t find my quilling tool. It is somewhere in the RV, but I have to sort my craft supplies so that I know where everything is. LOL!

Would love to see what you make!