DIY Tree of Life Wedding Guest Book on Canvas

My youngest daughter is getting married in November and she has asked me to create a few things for her wedding.  She showed me a photo of a Tree of Life on canvas– the purpose was to create a unique “guest book” for the guests to sign.  Could I make her something like that?

Well sure!  I never need too many excuses to create a new project!

wedding guestbook on canvas

So I created a unique take on the project featuring their names and wedding date and over 100 individual leaves for her wedding guests to sign!  And, I can show you how to make one too!

Yep.  It’s a big ol’ wedding!  I have been assigned bouquets and boutonnières also.  I believe she has seven brides maids and seven grooms men.  Oh, and a flower girl and more.

Ever try to craft while living full time in a 36 foot long motorhome?  Storage!  Uggh!  The flowers have not been made yet, but all the supplies currently live on the floor on my side of the bed where I have to climb over them every night.  The things I do in the name of craftiness!

Anyway, lets take a look at how to create this fun canvas project.  It is easy to make and the final product after signed by all wedding guest would make a fabulous keepsake for any bride!

wedding guestbook on canvas

1 canvas (24″ x 30″)
acrylic paint in black, white, gray and red

Begin by marking off the bottom of the canvas with a ruler for the names and wedding date.  The bottom of the names is 3.5″ from the bottom of the canvas.  The script is 3″ tall.  The date below is 1.5″ tall.  After marking it all off with a pencil, I hand drew in the names and date.  For those that are not comfortable with drawing it in by hand, you can always purchase letter stencils from your local craft supply store.

wedding guestbook on canvas

I then hand drew in the trunk of the tree in the center of the canvas.  I created a leaf template from a piece of paper.  The purpose it to have all leaves the same size.  I then drew in all leaves, filling in most every spare space on the canvas.

wedding guestbook on canvas

With black acrylic paint, I filled in the entire canvas, leaving the basic outlines of the letters and all the leaves.  I also painted the side edges of the canvas so that it will not be necessary for her to frame it.

wedding guestbook on canvas

With white acrylic paint, I painted in the letters.

wedding guestbook on canvas

I used white and various shades of gray to fill in the leaves, trunk and roots.

wedding guestbook on canvas

Because I cannot just leave something black and white.  (I have a thing about color).  I added a bright red bird and red hearts in the date.

This canvas is meant to be displayed at the wedding reception along with lots of fine black permanent markers for the guest to sign.  A great idea for an unusual wedding guest book that is sure to be remembered!

Stay tuned for more wedding projects coming soon!

Click here for lots more DIY wedding ideas!

For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Laura September 24, 2015, 8:10 pm

Wow, this is great! It looks really sophisticated and formal- perfect for a wedding, but SO MUCH better than a book. You did a really nice job on it. I actually like that the leaves are small enough for names and not too much else. Guests aren’t put on the spot to think of some creative, lengthy, thoughtful message to leave while a line forms behind them!

• Audrey September 19, 2015, 5:11 pm

So much cooler than a boring little book! This is something they can actually display

Thanks for sharing on the #HomeMattersParty. I hope you will join us next week too.

• Lora Cotton September 16, 2015, 5:11 pm

Suzy, I FEEL your pain (as to trying to craft while living full time in an RV.) I did that for just over 2.5 yrs, and storage was truly a pain!!! A suggestion for that is to purchase a couple of those “locking top” type plastic tubs and a tarp. You can put all the supplies in the tubs, then place them outside (maybe under the RV) covered with the tarp. Bonus to this solution will be that you have something to store (and transport) the finished products in. The locking lids will keep creepy crawlers out and water, the tarp will ensure that the tubs doesn’t end up looking like death, so that you can use them for transport to the wedding. Good luck!

• Jenny Benton September 9, 2015, 11:07 pm

What a great idea for wonderful wedding “book”.

• Teri September 9, 2015, 11:10 am

Such a great idea!! You are so good with drawing.

• Lynda September 9, 2015, 9:30 am

Absolutely beautiful!!! I love the addition of the red bird.

• Brandy M September 9, 2015, 7:11 am

This is wonderful! I have a *tiny* suggestion. As my grandparents have all passed away, whenever I find something in their handwriting, I treasure it instantly. So many times, someone will just sign “Grandpa Joe” into a guest book, helping him to get that done so that he can go sit down. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to look onto this tree and not only remember him being there by seeing his name, but make it a “rule” that grandparents, parents, elderly relatives have to sign their leaf themself. In their handwriting. What an amazing treasure! (LOVE the sitcom! One of the few things I always read!!)

• Susan Myers September 10, 2015, 9:17 pm

Hi Brandy!
      I love your suggestion! I will definitely forward the idea onto my daughter. It is a great way to document the present!

Thanks so much for being a sitcom reader!!

• Heather September 9, 2015, 4:54 am

This look really good , and so classy Suzy. real keepsake for the happy couple 🙂

• Susan Myers September 10, 2015, 9:19 pm

Hi Heather!

Thanks so much! It is hard to help her long distance, but the few things that I can contribute hopefully will make her wedding even more special.

• Pamela September 9, 2015, 12:42 am

I love this idea!!! I wish I had have had something similar when I got married 35 years ago. But I did have one thought, shouldn’t the tree have two birds one to represent your daughter and one to represent her future husband.

• Susan Myers September 10, 2015, 9:20 pm

Hi Pamela!

Thank you for the suggestion! I think you are right! I will add another little bird before I ship it off to her!