Feature Friday- Conversation Heart Dog Treats

by Susan Myers on January 13, 2012

I’ve been concentrating lately on feeding the dogs a bit healthier. But we certainly can be accused of spoiling them. I decided that I’d try my hand at making them some homemade treats. No chemicals, no preservatives, just something they might enjoy as a treat that isn’t table food. I found a great recipe for Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Treats that I decided to try.

conversation heart dog treats

And then I totally went off on my own tangent.  Because I never seem to just be able to just follow directions.  I have to make it my own.  So what better treat for the doggies than Conversation Hearts?  After all, Valentines Day is just around the corner.  We certainly can’t leave them out, right?

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
microwaveable candy wafers (in four colors)
gel food coloring

In large bowl, mix together the flour, eggs, canned pumpkin, peanut butter, salt and cinnamon.

Knead the dough and then roll out.  You don’t need to add flour to your tabletop.  The oils from the peanut butter keep it from sticking.  I rolled it about 1/4″ thick.  I then used a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out the treats.

Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet and put them in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes or until the treats are hard.

begging dogs

It was at this point that I noticed I had an audience.  Seriously, how did they know?

Melt a small amount of your candy wafers in the microwave.  Setting it for a minute at a time, stirring and putting it back in until it gets to spreadable consistency.

conversation hearts dog treats conversation hearts dog treats

Spread a thin layer of color on each heart and allow it to dry.  Then using a small paint brush and gel food coloring, paint on your “conversations”.

conversation hearts dog treats

Cute, right?  Now I have to tell you that the doggies loved these.  But because of the candy coating, they are not necessarily the healthiest things.  A little sugar won’t hurt them, but it can make them fat.  So be sure to limit them to maybe one a day.  But they sure are cute.  If you do this without the candy coating, then they are definitely a healthier choice for snacks.

conversation hearts dog treats

suzys sitcom facebook page

Want to try your hand at quilting?  My newest quilt Pattern- Batiks Gone Wild!  A great gift!

batiks gone wild quilt pattern

For over 150 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Dana January 23, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Thank you for sharing. These are great! My dog is allergic to chicken, so I am forever reading labels. This is will be so much easier and I can read the ingredients, no questions asked!
Huge Fan! Thanks again!

2 Debi January 22, 2013 at 1:57 pm

love these! my lab is gonna be so happy, thanks for sharing :)

3 Hanna February 27, 2012 at 8:35 am

Dog treats are fun and once you take pictures with your pets it sure is memorable.

4 Christie, Describe Happy January 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Ok, I just made a batch and the dogs are going gaga for them. Makes me happy to make something for them that they enjoy so. Thanks for posting the recipe!!!

5 Suzy January 24, 2012 at 8:31 pm

You are quite welcome! My doggies ate the whole batch already. Of course with three dogs, they can go quickly. Glad they love them!

6 Lisa~The SweetTalk Shop January 15, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Suzy, would love for you to bring your Conversation Heart Dog Treats over to my Link Party going on now. First one ever, but starting it for every Sunday! “SweetTalkin’ Sunday”

7 Shirley January 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Can’t wait to give these to my daughter and son as they both have dogs and the dogs are their family.

8 Anna@DirectionsNotIncluded January 13, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I would have three little faces staring at me while making these too! Maybe mommy will be nice and make these this week. I’m sure they would love them!

9 cs January 13, 2012 at 7:06 pm

can you tell me what candy wafers are. I have never heard of them. My dog loved the biscuits. cs

10 Suzy January 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Candy wafers can be found in the cake decorating section of your craft store. They are the equivalent of melting chocolates, but they do not contain chocolate. And they come in many colors. Mine are made by Wilton and were with all the Wilton cake supplies. Whatever you do, do not use chocolate as it is poisonous to dogs.

Glad you doggie liked the biscuits!!

11 Lori January 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm

These are adorable..I’ve been making treats for ours for years– Mine have cornnmeal and liver in them and the dogs go crazy for them..bet they would love these with the frosting too!

12 Suzy January 13, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Cornmeal and liver. Yep, my dogs would eat that too. Ha!

13 norene January 13, 2012 at 7:20 am

I loved the dog treats! I think I will make some for Krystal without the frosting. The colors in your pictures are fantastic. Keep up the good work.