Feature Friday- How to Enlarge Patterns

by Susan Myers on March 2, 2012

Rooster Pattern

After posting my Faux Punched Tin project last week, I received numerous requests for the pattern.  So, I’m happy to offer a free link to it at the end of this post.  Since the finished project is a bit bigger than the 8 1/2″ x 11″ pdf pattern, I thought it might be helpful if I write a tutorial on how to enlarge or decrease the size of a pattern.

Pattern
Sheet of paper large enough for the enlarged pattern
Yardstick

Oftentimes the pattern that you have is not the correct size for what you would like to make with it.  When this happens, it is easy enough to enlarge or decrease the size of your pattern using a grid system.

pattern grid pattern grid

Begin by taking your pattern and marking it off with a grid system.  In this case, I used a yardstick to mark it off in 1 inch squares.

Now you have to decide what size you would like it to become.  You will need to mark up a second grid on a blank sheet of paper with the grid squares at the size that you would like the finished pattern to be.  For instance:

[table id=2 /]

pattern grid

In this case, I want to double the size of my pattern, so I marked of 2″ squares on my blank sheet of paper.

pattern grid pattern grid

Start in one corner of your blank paper and fill in what you see in that matching square from the original pattern.  Go from square to square, repeating the design, concentrating on each square as you go.  Soon you will see the pattern start to appear.

Continue from square to square, duplicating what you see in the coordinating square on the original pattern.

Rooster pattern

And there you have it.  The finished pattern is ready for whatever project you have in mind!

If you would like a free copy of this original pattern, just click here:

Rooster Pattern

This is a pdf version of my Rooster pattern from my Faux Punched Tin Tutorial.  Hope you enjoy!
__________________________________________________________

Enjoyed this tutorial?  Be sure to check out my tutorial page for many more!

Don’t miss an episode!  You can subscribe to The Sitcom by Email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Katie March 14, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Love it, perfect gift for my mom!

2 Amie @ Pinkapotamus March 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

This is such a wonderful guide.. thanks so much for sharing.. I always wondered how to make patterns bigger once they were printed without affecting the integrity of the design! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can’t wait to see what you share next!

3 creativejewishmom/sara March 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, great pattern that could be used for so many things!

4 Jill March 8, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for sharing the rooster pattern Suzy! and the how to on enlarging! I remember doing this at school! Many years ago…

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

5 Michele March 8, 2012 at 9:19 am

Great refresher course on using a grid to transfer and increase a pattern.

I’ve come to use a copier too though. If the desired outcome is a pattern larger than a piece of paper I have, I just copy sections of the pattern and tape all the sections together like a puzzle.

6 erum March 7, 2012 at 11:30 am

thank you for sharing the real technique artists use but if your drawing is not very good or you want quick results without so much effort than enlarge your pattern by a photo copy machine :) just a suggestion for laziness :)

7 Suzy March 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Good idea. But sometimes you want the pattern to be bigger than the paper in your copier. This method makes it any size. :)

8 Sonya March 3, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thanks for the enlarging how-to! I think I knew this once upon a time but forgot! Thanks for the reminder!

9 RazMaTaz March 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I love your rooster. I’m going to use it for my embroidery.