Creating Mosaics the easy way!

Creating Mosaics using glass pieces can be difficult.  But I found a great stick on adhesive, and using broken dollar store plates, I was able to revive a boring lazy susan! Want to know how?

how to make mosaics the easy way

At your local home store, you can find ceramic adhesive that is similar to double stick tape.  You peel off the back layer, press it down, and then peel off the top layer to add your tiles, effectively eliminating the need for tile glue.  No more waiting for glue to dry!  You can tile and grout in the same day!

So I decided to create a mosaic project to try out this new product.

A wooden Lazy Susan from the thrift store
A bunch of colorful plates from the Dollar Store
BONDERA 16-in Countertop Tile Mat Set
Sandless Grout

how to create mosaics the easy way

I went to the Dollar Store and bought some colorful plates.  I’m frankly too cheap to buy mosaic tiles, so this is my thrifty solution.  It was simple enough to wrap them in a towel and hammer them to death, creating great little pieces of colorful tile.

Sitcom 2 step option

how to create mosaics the easy way

Just be sure to wear protective eye wear and keep curious pets and children away.  In the end, I have enough tile for several other projects.

Now let’s get started!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2 3 4

• Liz Jo August 24, 2016, 12:06 pm

Great and easy way!!

Thanks for linking up with Welcome Home Wednesdays! Live every Wednesday at 7AM CT.

liz @ j for joiner

• Anonymous August 6, 2016, 11:05 am

Aren’t you clever? It looks great! Visiting from The DIY Collective and pinning…

• uday king August 6, 2016, 1:59 am

so nice to fallow

• Grambo August 5, 2016, 7:41 pm

Suzy, can’t wait to find this adhesive to try this. Thanks for taking the time to research all the great products for us. Wishing you and your family the best (fur kids too) hugs, Grambo (Scarlett and Clara’s Great- grandma)

• Susan Myers August 7, 2016, 1:47 am

Hi Grambo!
      So great to hear from you again! Hope you are doing well! If you decide to try this project, I’d love to see what you come up with!
      Take care of yourself and thank you for putting a smile in my day!

• NancyGrace August 5, 2016, 5:13 pm

The Sitcom comes thru for me again! I have been saving my cracked stoneware for a number of years for just such an idea, but hadn’t figured out the glue part yet. Thanks for forging ahead and blazing the trail–and all those other folksy/outdoorsy metaphors.
    And continuing with the imagery, let me just say:
    YOU ROCK!

• Susan Myers August 7, 2016, 1:49 am

Hi Nancy Grace!
      You are very welcome! Would love to see what you come up with! The fun part is the smashing of dishes. Just saying. LOL!
      Hope you are having a fabulous summer!

• Pat August 5, 2016, 2:40 pm

Suzy … this is great way to do a mosaic … i tried one years ago but got discouraged with the adhesive … i had to stop mid way and problems happened so i had to chunk the whole thing. Using the adhesive stuff and being able to cut and peel as you need to makes putting it on hold, if necessary, more doable.
    BTW .. I have a cousin that did an entire top of their kitchen island. It was about 4×6. Each of the family had a special place they did. And their last name is in the center. It is really a beautiful special piece.
    Keep posting great stuff … love your posts!!!
    pat

• Susan Myers August 7, 2016, 1:52 am

Hi Pat!

Thank you so much! You always have a way of brightening my day! This mosaic lazy susan is one of my favorite pieces and I love
      how easy it way to create. I bet your cousin’s kitchen island is amazing. Things like that are priceless!

Hope you are having a wonderful summer.

• Anonymous August 5, 2016, 6:20 am

Susan, I read the whole tutorial and when I got to the last picture I saw that the edge of the whole round mosaic was a bit rough. I am wondering if you got some SPLINE the tubing you mend screens with and glued it to the edge if it would be some protection for the mosaic, your hands because of the sharpness of the edges of the pieces and it would maybe give a smoother finished look??? Just an idea. 🙂

• Leslie August 5, 2016, 6:23 am

OOPs forgot to enter my name 😡

• Susan Myers August 7, 2016, 1:56 am

Hi Leslie!

Thanks for the tip! That may be a great idea to try! I will definitely try it with my next mosaic piece to see if it works. This one is actually
      not really sharp on the edges. I tried to use edge pieces of my broken plates for the outside edges. But I do have to say that it was pretty sharp until I added the grout.

Hope you are having a wonderful summer, and thanks so much for the tip!

• Anonymous August 5, 2016, 6:10 am

Hi, nice idea about the double stick mat. Joanns’ has a double stick Archival Film that I am wondering might work and much less expensive.

• Sarah August 1, 2016, 9:15 pm

What a fun project! You have such a great eye to fit all of those odd shaped tile bits so perfectly into each colored area. And I love your tip about the adhesive!

• Anonymous August 1, 2016, 4:50 pm

I love your idea for mosaic tiles! Not only is it more frugal, but I love the random shapes and, hey, banging it with a hammer would just be fun, lol!

• Julie Briggs July 24, 2016, 5:42 am

I’ve never heard of that product, it looks pretty cool. Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersparty

• Sara Syrett July 21, 2016, 12:36 pm

I love the way you created this mosaic. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday! I am visiting from http://www.twelveonmain.com. Have a great week!

• Edye July 20, 2016, 1:47 pm

What a beautiful craft! Love the finished product 🙂

Blessings,
    Edye | http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

• Laurie July 4, 2016, 6:28 am

Is this adhesive product waterproof? Would you use this to adhere the glass to a cement stepping stone that goes outdoors in the garden?

• Susan Myers July 4, 2016, 1:00 pm

Yes, it would work fine outside. Would love to see what you come up with! suzy

• Melissa French, The More With Less Mom April 14, 2015, 8:03 pm

The hamering is the best part. Thanks for posting. Hello from Busy Monday.

• Cathy April 6, 2015, 2:27 pm

This is a great project. I love that it was done with thrift store and dollar store items. I think I may even be able to do this with your great tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing with Share It One More Time. Cathy

• Mpls_Me November 21, 2012, 12:55 pm

We used Bondera to tile the backsplash in our kitchen. It turned out great and was so much easier to use than traditional methods. I had some left over and will try this on some things around the house. Great ideas…great blog. Thanks for sharing!

• Amie @ Pinkapotamus May 20, 2012, 7:54 am

Amazing! And gorgeous of course.. I just love this idea.. it would make an awesome table too!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo.. can’t wait to see what you share next!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

• Six Sisters May 17, 2012, 8:41 pm

This is so beautiful! We loved having you link up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Hope to see you back soon! -The Sisters

• JoAnn May 17, 2012, 1:28 pm

Fantastic project ! very colorful and love the design.
    JoAnn

• Donna Huisinga May 16, 2012, 11:38 pm

Nicely done. Saw your project over at Hope Studios Link Party.

• Jill May 15, 2012, 7:16 am

Gosh that stuff looks amazing Suzy! Love your new lazy susan too!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• katie May 15, 2012, 6:58 am

I love how this turned out! I’ve always wanted to do a mosaic but really had no idea how to do it–thanks for the great tutorial. Maybe I’ll give it a try!

• creativejewishmom/sara May 15, 2012, 2:41 am

great project as usual Suzy, and love how with the bondera you can simply work on one section at a time! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

• Patricia Torres May 14, 2012, 3:31 pm

oh my.. I’ve always wanted to try a mosaic.. You’ve made this look super easy.. And the colours you’ve used.. and patter.. is simply PERFECT..

Awesome work.. wow!! wow!! Thanks for linking into Colours dekor.. 🙂

• Brenda Williams May 12, 2012, 1:14 pm

Love this! It turned out beautiful. This might be something I could actually do…tee hee.

• Susie @Bowdabra May 12, 2012, 11:23 am

Suzy this is so awesome! I saw it earlier in the week when I linked up to your blog party. I can’t believe this was done on a lazy Susan. Oh btw does it annoy you that it is called Lazy Susan? I’m a Susan and you are, too and I know we aren’t lazy 🙂

We would LOVE for you to stop over and link this up in our Crafty Saturday Showcase. It is just our 2nd week. Your blog is awesome and we stop in at least once a week. I love the name of your blog, too!

Thank you!
    Susie @Bowdabra

• Carol May 12, 2012, 11:23 am

You made this look so easy. It’s fantastic and what a fun yet practical piece.

• Debbie Phillips May 12, 2012, 7:00 am

Can you use this on a laminated table? I like the table, but it is stained.

• Suzy May 14, 2012, 9:07 pm

Hi Debbie,

I don’t see why not! Just remember that it does have some weight when you put all that glass down. Be sure that the table will be able to support that.

• hani@craftionary May 11, 2012, 4:15 pm

awesome.. I love it! I just shared it on Pinterest! Thanks for linking up at friday fun party..

• Megan May 11, 2012, 1:56 pm

That is just beautiful! I love how you used plates from the Dollar Store! Great idea. Megan

• Michele May 11, 2012, 1:36 pm

Wow, that turned out great and looks relatively easy. You could also save favorite pieces that get broken in daily use and incorporate them into a tray or picture or something. You rock!

• brandi May 11, 2012, 10:44 am

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!
    A: love the quilt block
    B: love the colors
    C: love the product
    D: LOVE THE WHOLE PROJECT!
    Oh and love your blog….hehehe

• Creative Mind May 11, 2012, 7:24 am

This is awesome..Perfect with useful tips..
    Thanks dear 🙂