Creating Mosaics the easy way!

Creating Mosaics using glass pieces can be difficult.  But I found a great stick on adhesive, and using broken dollar store plates, I was able to revive a boring lazy susan! Want to know how?

mosaic diy tutorial

At you local home store, you can find ceramic adhesive that is similar to double stick tape.  You peel off the back layer, press it down, and then peel off the top layer to add your tiles, effectively eliminating the need for tile glue.  No more waiting for glue to dry!  You can tile and grout in the same day!

So I decided to create a mosaic project to try out this new product.

A wooden Lazy Susan from the thrift store
A bunch of colorful plates from the Dollar Store
BONDERA 16-in Countertop Tile Mat Set Item#4330 Model#BON-CT-16 UPC#048444001689*
Sandless Grout

mosaic diy tutorial mosaic diy tutorial

I went to the Dollar Store and bought some colorful plates.  I’m frankly too cheap to buy mosaic tiles, so this is my thrifty solution.  It was simple enough to wrap them in a towel and hammer them to death, creating great little pieces of colorful tile.  Just be sure to wear protective eye wear and keep curious pets and children away.  In the end, I have enough tile for several other projects.

The adhesive comes in a nice roll.  It is easy enough to unroll a bit and cut it to size to fit the top of my Lazy Susan.  I used scissors for this, but be sure to use scissors that you aren’t real fond of.  The glue in the adhesive is very strong.

mosaic diy tutorial

I peeled off the back layer of the adhesive and glued it down on top of the Lazy Susan.  I then used a sharpie pen to draw my design onto the top layer of the adhesive.  I decided to go with one of my favorite quilt block patterns.

mosaic diy tutorial

I used a craft knife to cut away the top layer of the section that I was working on, and then peeled that section up to reveal the adhesive underneath.  Then choosing my tiles, I just pressed them into the adhesive where I wanted them.  The adhesive creates a good strong bond.

mosaic diy tutorial mosaic diy tutorial

I just went from section to section, peeling off the top layer of the adhesive as I went.  What is great about this process is that I could take my time and didn’t have to worry about getting everything on there before glue dried.

mosaic diy tutorial

mosaic diy tutorial mosaic diy tutorial

As soon as you have completed tiling, you can move to the next step of grouting.  You don’t have to wait for the glue to cure.  I used sandless grout that I purchased at the hardware store, mixing up several cups of the powdered grout with enough water to make it a thick consistency.  I then added it by spoonful on top of my project, pushing it into the cracks with my fingers.

mosaic diy tutorial mosaic diy tutorial

I used a sponge to wipe off the excess grout, rinsing it repeatedly in a bucket of water.  The grout takes about 2 hours to dry and then use a washcloth or a bit of cheese cloth to buff each of the tiles in order to remove any haze left from the grout.

mosaic diy tutorial

I love how my Lazy Susan turned out.  It matches my kitchen perfectly!

suzys sitcom facebook page

apinchofjoy.com

For over 150 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

*This post contains affiliate links to Amazon.

• Melissa French, The More With Less Mom April 14, 2015, 8:03 pm

The hamering is the best part. Thanks for posting. Hello from Busy Monday.

• Cathy April 6, 2015, 2:27 pm

This is a great project. I love that it was done with thrift store and dollar store items. I think I may even be able to do this with your great tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing with Share It One More Time. Cathy

• Mpls_Me November 21, 2012, 12:55 pm

We used Bondera to tile the backsplash in our kitchen. It turned out great and was so much easier to use than traditional methods. I had some left over and will try this on some things around the house. Great ideas…great blog. Thanks for sharing!

• Amie @ Pinkapotamus May 20, 2012, 7:54 am

Amazing! And gorgeous of course.. I just love this idea.. it would make an awesome table too!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo.. can’t wait to see what you share next!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

• Six Sisters May 17, 2012, 8:41 pm

This is so beautiful! We loved having you link up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Hope to see you back soon! -The Sisters

• JoAnn May 17, 2012, 1:28 pm

Fantastic project ! very colorful and love the design.
    JoAnn

• Donna Huisinga May 16, 2012, 11:38 pm

Nicely done. Saw your project over at Hope Studios Link Party.

• Jill May 15, 2012, 7:16 am

Gosh that stuff looks amazing Suzy! Love your new lazy susan too!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• katie May 15, 2012, 6:58 am

I love how this turned out! I’ve always wanted to do a mosaic but really had no idea how to do it–thanks for the great tutorial. Maybe I’ll give it a try!

• creativejewishmom/sara May 15, 2012, 2:41 am

great project as usual Suzy, and love how with the bondera you can simply work on one section at a time! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

• Patricia Torres May 14, 2012, 3:31 pm

oh my.. I’ve always wanted to try a mosaic.. You’ve made this look super easy.. And the colours you’ve used.. and patter.. is simply PERFECT..

Awesome work.. wow!! wow!! Thanks for linking into Colours dekor.. :)

• Brenda Williams May 12, 2012, 1:14 pm

Love this! It turned out beautiful. This might be something I could actually do…tee hee.

• Susie @Bowdabra May 12, 2012, 11:23 am

Suzy this is so awesome! I saw it earlier in the week when I linked up to your blog party. I can’t believe this was done on a lazy Susan. Oh btw does it annoy you that it is called Lazy Susan? I’m a Susan and you are, too and I know we aren’t lazy :)

We would LOVE for you to stop over and link this up in our Crafty Saturday Showcase. It is just our 2nd week. Your blog is awesome and we stop in at least once a week. I love the name of your blog, too!

Thank you!
    Susie @Bowdabra

• Carol May 12, 2012, 11:23 am

You made this look so easy. It’s fantastic and what a fun yet practical piece.

• Debbie Phillips May 12, 2012, 7:00 am

Can you use this on a laminated table? I like the table, but it is stained.

• Suzy May 14, 2012, 9:07 pm

Hi Debbie,

I don’t see why not! Just remember that it does have some weight when you put all that glass down. Be sure that the table will be able to support that.

• hani@craftionary May 11, 2012, 4:15 pm

awesome.. I love it! I just shared it on Pinterest! Thanks for linking up at friday fun party..

• Megan May 11, 2012, 1:56 pm

That is just beautiful! I love how you used plates from the Dollar Store! Great idea. Megan

• Michele May 11, 2012, 1:36 pm

Wow, that turned out great and looks relatively easy. You could also save favorite pieces that get broken in daily use and incorporate them into a tray or picture or something. You rock!

• brandi May 11, 2012, 10:44 am

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!
    A: love the quilt block
    B: love the colors
    C: love the product
    D: LOVE THE WHOLE PROJECT!
    Oh and love your blog….hehehe

• Creative Mind May 11, 2012, 7:24 am

This is awesome..Perfect with useful tips..
    Thanks dear :)