Recycled Crafts – Faux Quilted Bulletin Board

Create a unique quilted look that involves absolutely no sewing at all!  This Faux Quilted Bulletin Board is made with foam and fabric scraps and is a beautiful focal piece for your room!  My tutorial even includes a free pattern for you to download!

recycled crafts faux quilted bulletin board19

The husband works for a company that gets large parts in daily and they are packaged with styrofoam around them for protection.  So, of course I confiscated some.  I am a huge fan of creating crafts from recycled materials.  I decided to create a bulletin board that gives the look of quilting, but is actually incredibly easy to do.  It is a colorful addition to my sewing room!  Want to know how to make your own?

One sheet of styrofoam packing material (36″ x 12″ x 1/2″) If you do not have access to packing material, your local craft store sells it in similar size sheets.
Assorted fabrics, cut in strips for easy handling
Ruler
Sharpie Pen
Craft Knife
Butter knife or credit card for pushing fabric into the styrofoam
Sheet of foam board
Thumb tacks

quilted house pattern

recycled crafts faux quilted bulletin board

I enlarged the pattern to 12″ square, so I was able to make three repeats of it across the width of the styrofoam sheet.

recycled crafts faux quilted bulletin board1

Use a pencil and ruler to mark it out, and then use a sharpie pen to darken the lines.

recycled crafts faux quilted bulletin board2

Now you are ready to add fabric!  Click here for the next step.

Next page2

Pages: 1 2 3

• Edye June 15, 2016, 12:33 pm

You have so many unique crafts on your blog! This one is super cute!!

Blessings,
    Edye | http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

• Navy Wifey Peters @ USS Crafty June 13, 2016, 5:42 pm

This is amazing! And no sewing is required! Wow!

Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party

• Suzanne N September 18, 2015, 12:37 am

I have had these same print fabrics in my stash for a number of years!! I have used them for some projects, but still have quite a bit left from my original purchase. To see familiar fabrics being used this way was really fun. Luckily I can duplicate your colors and get the same great burst of sunshine for my craft room. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• momma26 September 2, 2015, 8:50 am

Hi. Thank you for this tutorial. I am trying to do a 1-12″ block craft with a group, but when I went to print out your pattern, it is teeny tiny and doesn’t give me any idea of actual piece size for the 12″ block. Can you please tell us what size the pieces are drawn out on the pattern? I get that you cut the fabric pieces larger, but what I’m trying to figure out and it’s not coming easy to me, is how to lay the foam block out properly to score the lines. Please help. It appears you have 2 sizes of squares, 1 triangle, 2 sizes of larger rectangles, 1 size of a smaller rectangle, and 2 sizes of parallograms, is that correct? Can you share piece size please? Thank you so very much!!

• Susan Myers September 2, 2015, 9:25 pm

Hi!

You know, that pattern needs an update. Apparently, I did something weird with the software because it comes out small for me too!

The block is 12″ square. The outside border is 1.5″ wide. The rectangles running vertically in the house are 1″ wide. The first three to the left are 4.5″ x 1″. The rectangle above them is 3″ x 2″. Hope that helps get you started. The other option would be to enlarge the pattern to the size that you would like using a copier.

• Anonymous July 26, 2015, 3:14 pm

This is absolutely brilliant! Thank you for sharing.

• Linda March 12, 2015, 2:23 pm

Suzy, love the tutorial and house quilts. I just love “no-sew” quilt pictures. Back in 2008 I bought several pattern kits from a small company called “Picture It With Fabric” in Minnesota that used this same concept for “no-sew” quilting and a specially treated foam board, fabric, and kitchen knife. I was so intrigued with this concept I decided I had to try it. I made several quilt pictures and inserted mine into wood shadowbox frames that my husband and I made. I posted about what I made here – http://lindawalshoriginals.blogspot.com/2010/05/quilted-pictures-wonderful-concept.html

• Susan Myers March 13, 2015, 8:25 pm

Hi Linda!

Thanks for showing me your wonderful no-sew quilts! They turned out beautiful!

• Kit June 24, 2013, 10:46 am

Very creative and very fun!
    Oh, and a tip – if you actually intend to use as a bulletin board, take a moment to trace your cuts with Aleene’s foam glue, so that when you push the fabric into the lines they adhere to the foam.
    Otherwise your fabric strips will pull out when you *remove* anything you’ve pinned.

• Anonymous March 28, 2013, 5:01 pm

I like your idea thank u very much

• Anonymous January 29, 2013, 2:03 am

Deneyeceğim güzel bir çalışma
    Sevgiler

• filiz January 28, 2013, 2:09 am

İt is amazing 🙂

• Gülsen January 25, 2013, 10:54 am

Bayıldım çok güzel bir çalışma, tebrik ederim. Sevgiler … 🙂

• Jenny Lynn January 18, 2013, 8:32 am

This is such a great way to use up fabric scraps. Nice job!

• Lynda January 15, 2013, 3:15 pm

that is so cool! I’m fixin to go look for Styrofoam out in the shipping dept. haha

• This is amazing! 🙂

• Brenna January 11, 2013, 4:31 pm

I love it! I’m adding this project to my list.

• nonny kudel January 11, 2013, 4:02 pm

i’ve seen this before, but not with your incredible stash!!! tell me you would not realllllly stick pins in it for a bull/board….. NonnyK

• Beth Parker January 11, 2013, 3:45 pm

This so incredibly smart and creative. I pinned and shared on facebook. I need more time in my life. I would love to try this one!!!

• Laura and Valerie January 11, 2013, 1:47 pm

What a neat idea! Pinning from the pinterest party at online blogcon!

• Katie January 11, 2013, 11:28 am

This is so unique! I love this!!!

• Paula January 11, 2013, 10:27 am

this is awesome, at first thought it was pieces you had to glue together, this would be easy to do, thanks !!!!

• Johnnie January 11, 2013, 9:59 am

This is such a great idea!

• Kitty Molenaar January 11, 2013, 9:31 am

Love it! Great project, great job!!

• Kathy January 11, 2013, 8:13 am

I love this! Great project for using up small fabric scraps too. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Athena January 11, 2013, 7:43 am