Fathers Day Gift Idea- Mosaic Monogram

Create a mosaic monogram out of dollar store items!  This is a unique, personal gift that would be a perfect idea for Father’s Day!

diy mosaic monogram

When it comes to gifts, it seems like everyone loves monograms. So I rummaged through my “things that I buy when I see them at a good price that I have no idea what I’m gonna do with” bin to try to put together an idea. And I ran across some wonderful blue glass pieces that I had found at the dollar store. And an idea was born.  I decided to create a mosaic monogram!

8 bags of decorative glass pieces (from the dollar store)
Tile grout
Hot glue
1 Cardboard box
Acrylic paint
and a ton of patience

Now I do not buy those pre-cut wooden letters from the craft store. Why? Well, first of all, I’m a cheapskate. Second, I like to work big. So I create my own 3D letters using an old cardboard box. For this project, be sure to select a cardboard box that is very sturdy. The mosaic tiles will get heavy.

diy mosaic monogram

For this project, I am creating a “K”.  I used a ruler to draw out my K on the side of the cardboard box. Mine ended up being 13″ tall and about 10″ wide. Cut your letter out with a craft knife and then use that letter as a template to cut out another letter. Then cut out 2″ strips of cardboard for the sides.

diy mosaic monogram

Using hot glue, glue the sides to one of the letters, and then glue the other letter on top. Since this project is going to be covered in mosaic glass, the letter does not have to be perfect. It will all be covered.

diy mosaic monogram

Now, pull out your patience because you will need it in order to glue the million or so glass pieces onto your letter. I started out with 4 bags of glass pieces and it became clear early on that it would not be enough. So I spent a few days combing the local dollar stores and lucked out finding four more bags.

diy mosaic monogram

I opted to paint the whole letter a deep blue to bring out the color of the blue glass.  I used hot glue and just glued the glass on leaving spaces between for the grout. I covered the entire letter including the back and sides. And I have to tell you that it got pretty heavy. The finished piece weighs 5 pounds.

diy mosaic monogramdiy mosaic monogram

I did consider only covering the front, but because of the lightweight cardboard that the letter was made of, it made the front heavy and the letter wanted to topple. I also wanted the effect of a total ceramic letter. So I covered every bit of available cardboard with the exception of the bottom.

diy mosaic monogram

Once the letter is covered, it is time to grout. Follow the instructions on the grout mix. Mine was to simply add water. Easy enough.

diy mosaic monogram

I then used my fingers to push the grout into all the spaces, rubbing it over the entire letter.

diy mosaic monogram

Let it set for about 15 minutes and then use a damp sponge to wipe off the grout from the glass tiles. You will have to wipe it repeatedly, using a bucket of water to rinse your sponge out between wiping. Once the tiles are relatively clean, allow the whole thing to dry overnight.

After the grout is totally dry, use a soft cloth to buff the tiles to remove any last film of grout and shine them up.

diy mosaic monogram

Also as a finishing touch, I added felt to the bottom of the letter.

diy mosaic monogram

The finished piece looks great as an accent in a bathroom, as a bookend, or maybe an accent on top of your kitchen cabinets. I have to say, that working with tile and grout was a new experience for me. But patience is my middle name. (Or should be).

If you enjoyed this tutorial, you might want to check out my Quilled Paisley Monogram Tutorial.  It uses the same basic steps for assembly of the letter and then it is quilled within an inch of its life…

Also, my Quilled Monogram is a great quilling project and makes a wonderful gift.  Check it out!

For over 100 more crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• LYCEL ABOABO May 12, 2016, 12:54 am

I’m a new subscriber of your blog..but in my first saw of your monogram project..It sooooooo awesome! It’s really inspiring me to do it on my own..have my own crafting project..Thank you so much!

• Paula May 31, 2013, 12:21 pm

what a neat idea, but I wouldnt do good cutting the letter out of cardboard, It would come out as the letter its supposed to, plus I dont trust myself with sharp objects as I tend to cut myself every time, it so bad that I have to cut my steak with a butter knife,lol !!!!

• jet May 31, 2013, 7:53 am

awesome, it’s a fun and cool idea, but as well for other partie gifts.
    Like it and love it.XD
    I think i will make one day my name or number for the outside of this;-D
    Thank you for the great tute and the sharing, well done!!!!
    Have a fun crafty weekend;-D

• Heather April 15, 2013, 11:01 pm

I absolutely love this! Decided to make a C for my nephew that is due in June. I love the way it turned out, it will look amazing in his nursery. Thanks for posting! Thinking of making a few for Mother’s Day gifts.

• Anonymous October 21, 2011, 9:37 pm

Stumbled upon. LOVE this idea. Totally gonna make a smaller version tomorrow 😀

• Anonymous May 13, 2011, 8:38 pm

I love this idea – great for "End of the year" gifts for teachers – Im sure they are tired of getting APPLES! 🙂 Questin: Do you use the gem in a solid piece or do you crush it and use the broken pieces? I went to the dollar stor and got some bags of the gems today and they sorta look like marbels. Thanks for the amazing idea!

Michele Johnson
    buffmama@ctvea.net

• Amanda March 21, 2011, 12:24 am

I've put together a round up of monogram and letter projects on Craft Gossip today and included your project. 🙂 You can see it here

If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!

• Joystreet February 21, 2011, 5:22 am

Cute;) will have to try with my many shards of kiln formed glass!;)

• Holly February 3, 2011, 9:26 pm

Too much fun…and I love that you made your own letters – I am cheap to and those things are expensive…yours look better anyway. Great project!

• Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma February 2, 2011, 4:36 am

Suzy-

Your ingenuity awes me. Wow.

Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice last week.

FYI: Creative Juice is on hiatus until the week of Valentine's Day because of The Beat the Winter Blues Party.

If you have any cool photo project you'd like to link up…stop by!

• LuluMarie February 1, 2011, 3:06 pm

how cool! I'm amazedthat the cardboard held up so well.

• smile February 1, 2011, 5:00 am

coollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll………………………………..m vry impressed

• Komal arun jeet kaur February 1, 2011, 4:56 am

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow ..these ol are amazing,,,, i love these all

• L January 31, 2011, 2:38 am

So cute! Would love for you to add to my Thursday Treasure Party @

• Ginger January 30, 2011, 8:51 pm

Cool! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

• Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence January 29, 2011, 5:37 pm

Wow, seriously impressed that this started life as cardboard.

• Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish January 29, 2011, 1:52 pm

This is amazing!!! Love it! I can't believe you made the K yourself!! I featured this in my 10 Great Monogram Projects Post!!

• Melissa January 28, 2011, 9:11 pm

That is so awesome! I love how it turned out. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

• AllieMakes! January 28, 2011, 5:59 pm

That is awesome! It looks great!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie. I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    alliemakes.blogspot.com

• Nicole January 28, 2011, 6:18 am

Hi I'm visiting from between you and me.

Never would of guess the letter is made out of cardboard. Great job!

• Carol@TheDesignPages January 28, 2011, 12:11 am

I found you at today's link hop and I"m glad I did. Such a great project.
    Carol

• Jami January 27, 2011, 8:48 pm

That is beyond cool! I'm going to add that to my Tuesday to – do post! Thanks for sharing!
    Smiles!
    Jami

• Petie@inspirednesting.com January 27, 2011, 4:47 pm

Very 'K'ool! You did a great job, you must have extreme patience 🙂

• Life with the Lebedas January 27, 2011, 3:17 pm

Wow, now thats creative! Love it!!
    Thanks for linking up to Craftify Thursday! ;D
    Have a great day!
    Jennifer

• Calling All Sleepyheads January 27, 2011, 12:50 am

That turned out so nice! Love the blue. I've also heard of using styrofoam for the inside part-never tried it though. That was a lot of work creating that "K" ; )

• Katie January 26, 2011, 5:11 pm

OMG! This is amazing! I absolutely LOVE mosaic work, and have yet to attempt to make anything! Great tutorial! I'm your newest follower and hope you will link up this project to http://sewwoodsy.blogspot.com

• Biz January 26, 2011, 1:38 pm

Just stopping by after seeing your link at seven thirty three, I love this mosaic letter!
    Biz

• Susan @ Entertain Exchange January 26, 2011, 1:38 pm

Very cool – it turned out great!

Susan

• Jamie January 25, 2011, 5:23 pm

Oh wow! That looks fabulous! What a neat idea.

• Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming January 25, 2011, 2:04 pm

Suzy – What a clever and creative idea to make the monogram out of cardboard. Fabulous job – this looks great! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. I'll be featuring this today. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

• Jill January 25, 2011, 12:19 pm

Too cool! I have a heap of tiles and grout left over in the shed from renovating our house! Perhaps I could try something like this… Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks so much for linking to A Round Tuit! Hope you're having a fabulous week!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• hi-d January 25, 2011, 8:55 am

That is sooo cool! Love it!

• Sasha January 25, 2011, 12:47 am

This is absolutely beautiful. Thanks so much for the excellent tutorial. You definetly made me want to try this! And thanks for linking up to Creation Mondays @ ~The Life of Me~!

• The Tootsie Wootsie January 24, 2011, 6:08 pm

wow! this is pretty cool! And it looks so fun! I want to make one but with a "c" Thanks for sharing this!

please come and share this to my linky party and come join my giveaway to anne franklin designs!

• Condo Blues January 24, 2011, 3:19 pm

I never thought of creating my own letters from boxes instead of buying them. Nice job!

• Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home January 24, 2011, 2:27 pm

Just wanted to let you know I featured this project today!

• Jenni at Treacle and Ink January 24, 2011, 2:04 pm

I cannot believe this is made from cardboard!!

I always struggle to find letters for my initials (JQ) so this might be the answer!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

• AmieAnn January 24, 2011, 1:48 pm

This is awesome! I LOVE that you made the letter K entirely out of cardboard.. So cool! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. you take crafting to a whole different level!

• Suzy January 24, 2011, 12:39 pm

Hi Haley!

I had the grout from a previous project and had gotten it from a craft store. However, I believe you might be able to get better pricing at a hardware store.

• The Autocrat: Haley January 24, 2011, 2:42 am

So fabulous! Did you get your grout at the craft store or at a hardware store?

• Lucy Designs January 23, 2011, 3:35 am

this is awesome! I love big and I love mosaics…perfect!

• Laura January 22, 2011, 7:04 pm

That is cool i love it

• Clare G January 22, 2011, 2:27 am

Amazing idea- and really a beautiful piece.

• Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home January 22, 2011, 12:37 am

Yet again you totally amaze me with your skills and creativity! Thanks so much for linking up 🙂

• Little Ol' Liz January 21, 2011, 9:12 pm

Way cool! We were trying to figure out how to decorate the huge doors that open to the Banquet space for the Reception without breaking the budget. I see a jumbo letter M in the future!

TFS

• DANA January 21, 2011, 8:19 pm

If you haven't already, I would love for you to come link up at my linky party and have the chance to be the Best of the Best for January!

• It's A Priceless Life January 21, 2011, 7:30 pm

Very cool!!! I love that you made your own letter – kudos to you!
    Shantel @

• Kassi @ Truly Lovely January 21, 2011, 6:15 pm

Oooh!! I really like this!!! K is my first initial too, so of course I was drawn to the picture! If you have time I would love for you to link up to Fancy This Fridays! http://trulylovelywiththelaneysisters.blogspot.com/2011/01/fancy-this-fridays-edition-8.html

• Norene January 21, 2011, 4:52 pm

That's really beautiful! I don't know how you think of all these things, but I must say they are fantastic. LOVE IT

• Meg January 21, 2011, 3:14 pm

That looks amazing! Is it heavy? I need to try this out!

• The Answer Is Chocolate January 21, 2011, 2:59 pm

Totally awesome! Come link up at my Open House that's going on right now!

• Lisa January 21, 2011, 2:26 pm

What a great gift! I'm amazed that you made your own letters too! Love it!

• kimberlyoneita January 21, 2011, 12:52 pm

Very pretty! I thought it was the same one I was trying to comment on a few weeks ago and then realized it was a K not A. I love how you are able to make your own letters. Totally cool!

• MMB Creations January 21, 2011, 12:18 pm

Everyone is making such cute letters. I must get busy!

• Me N My Thrifty Ideas January 21, 2011, 11:38 am

You never cease to amaze me! You are a truly gifted woman! I will take an S please 🙂

• Mrs BC January 21, 2011, 11:16 am

That is amazing! I love looking at your projects, they are so inspiring!
    Mrs BC