Jar O’ Nutcracker Spoons!

One of my favorite things to collect over the years for Christmas was fun and colorful nutcrackers.  When I sold my house a few years ago, I sold everything in it including my nutcracker collection.  Living in a motorhome means not much room for decorations.

So this week, I decided to create a batch of tiny nutcrackers made from wooden spoons.  And I’ve included a free pattern for you to make your own!

Jar O Nutcracker Spoons

These easy to make Nutcracker Spoons are reminiscent of my Jar O’ Monsters Spoons.  Minus the monsters, but with added Nutcracker grouchiness.

jar-o-nutcracker-spoons13

Grab a recycled jar, add some glass cabochons to it (you can find them at the Dollar Store), and put your Nutcracker spoons anywhere you would like for a bit of Christmas festivity.

Want to know how to make them?

Jar O Nutcracker Spoons

3 wooden spoons
Polymer Clay
Hot glue
Acrylic Paint
Mod Podge
Black and white felt
Assorted gemstones and ribbons

jar-o-nutcrackers-pattern

Click here for the pattern

Jar O Nutcracker Spoons

Begin by tracing the patterns onto each of the wooden spoons.

Jar O Nutcracker Spoons

Place the spoons onto a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil.  Knead the polymer clay until soft and then create the hats, noses and mustaches for each nutcracker using the pattern as a guide.  (Make the hats about 3/4″ thick and push the end of the spoon into them as shown above).

Sitcom 2 step option

Jar O Nutcracker Spoons

Create decorative parts of the crowns by rolling out the clay and cutting out the shapes with a craft knife.

Jar O Nutcracker Spoons

The photo above shows all three nutcrackers ready for the oven.  Place them onto a foil covered cookie sheet and bake in a 275 degree oven for about 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool completely before going to the next step.

Click here for the next step!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2

• Amanda Flores November 21, 2016, 9:27 am

I think they are fine. If she only knew the type of painting you do. HOW RUDE!

• Lynda November 21, 2016, 9:10 am

OMG!!! I love them!!!! What an awesome idea!!!!

• Jenny Stephen November 20, 2016, 7:26 pm

I feel that the idea is be inventive, each to their own as it is supposed to be individual taste. The patterns are a great guideline base for anyone to start with 🙂 Good work Suzy

• Bonnie Drake November 19, 2016, 10:25 pm

I think the nutcracker faces would be better if you painted them on the back of the spoon. I would give more dimension to the face. Also, I believe the mustaches would look better if they were made out of the same fabric as the hair and glued in place. The eyes need larger pupils so they don’t look so starey and the outline could just go across the tops of the lids and not around the whole eye. I paint a lot and think this is cute but needs a little refining. Thanks.

• Susan Myers November 20, 2016, 1:17 am

Hi Bonnie,
      While I appreciate you taking the time to critique my project, I like my nutcrackers just the way I made them. One of the great things about creating is that you can make anything your imagination comes up with. In this case, I came up with an original project that I love. If I’m the only one who loves it,
      then I am okay with that.

Feel free to create your nutcrackers anyway that you like. Your idea of refining is most likely different than mine. But that is what makes the world go round.
      Suzy

• Carolyn November 21, 2016, 8:54 am

I agree with you Suzy. I craft and paint for me. Anyway we are our worse critics or at least I am. Keep on Krafting.