This post was sponsored by #CollectiveBias Inc. and Pedigree Dog Food. All opinions are mine alone. #PedigreeGives
Today we are on a more serious note here at the Sitcom. I want to talk a little bit about a cause that is near and dear to me. I’d like to discuss pet overpopulation and try to help to raise awareness of the situation and promote spaying, neutering, and pet adoption. I am happy to be able to tell you about an easy way that you can help. Pedigree is helping to feed shelter dogs by donating one bowl of dog food for every Pedigree dog product purchased at Sam’s Club in the month of October!
Animals are abandoned every single day. Some make their way into over crowded shelters that are very dependent on charities and goodwill in order to operate. Some end up abandoned on the streets and eventually perish due to disease or hunger. It is truly a sad story, and a very hard one for me to write.
Currently at our household, we have a total of four adopted dogs. Two of which were just days from being euthanized when we found them. While we would love to adopt every single homeless animal out there, we simply cannot take them all in.
Homeless Animal Facts from the Humane Society:
- 5 to 7 million homeless animals enter animal shelters every year in the US.
- Less than half of those animals will find a forever home and be adopted.
- 50% of the animals in shelters were dropped off their by their previous owners.
- It is impossible to determine how many homeless animals are currently living as strays, but estimates of cats alone are around 70 million.
- Every day 70,000 puppies and kittens are born. As long as these birth rates exist, there will never be enough homes for all the animals.
Pets Currently Available for Adoption
ANGORA is up to date on shots, spayed and Felv/Fiv negative. She is a sweet girl who gets along with others in the cat room. She likes to be petted while she lays on the blanket. She does take a bit to adjust to new surroundings. Because this shelter is now FULL and kitties are at risk, they are doing a special adoption fee of only $40.00. 2nd Chance For Pets/Dewitt County Animal Shelter, Clinton, IL
I am an energetic sweet loving little girl who only wants to be near you. I have not been around alot of other dogs but I think I might like to be an only child where I would get ALL of the attention. I do like to play so I need someone who can keep up but who also likes to suggle at the end of a long hard day . I have been spayed and I am current on vaccinations and I am presently on heartworm preventative. – located at 2nd Chance Animal Sanctuary, Hayden, AL
Just check out that wonderful smile! Tanya is a 1-2 year old female shepherd mix. She is great with other dogs, loves people! We aren’t sure how she is with cats yet. Tanya is a super loyal gal! She has a medium amount of energy – loves to play but then will settle down and just hang out. Tanya is a super sweet lady, fully house broken and crate trained! Tanya loves doggy day care and goes routinely with her foster sister. She is one of the favorites there! – located at 11th Hour Rescue New York, Wilton, NY
What can you do to help?
- Most importantly, spay or neuter your pets! This is the best way to help control the number of animals that need homes.
- Adopt from a shelter. Not only are you saving an animal from a terrible fate, you are gaining a new best friend, and reducing the number of homeless pets in the world.
- Donate or volunteer. If you are not ready to adopt a dog or cat, or already own pets, you can donate your time or money to your local shelter. They are always in need of money, blankets, food, or your valuable time.
- Consider Fostering an animal. There are many animals that do not do well in a kennel environment due to age or illness and would thrive under the nurturing and care by a loving volunteer while they await their forever home. Taking an animal in under foster care frees up space in the shelter for other homeless animals. Animals that need foster care include:
- Nursing mothers with litters
- Orphaned puppies and kittens
- Senior pets who have special medical needs
- Injured and ill pets who require individualized care
- Shy pets who do not thrive in a kennel environment
Peach is a pretty girl who is seeking a home of her own. She’s a sweet as a peach, but somewhat shy. Peach will probably do best in a quieter home with adults only where she can settle in. Once she’s warmed up you have a new friend for life. She eagerly awaits petting and just adores chin scratches. When you come home she’ll greet you with the cat version of a hug- rubbing against your leg. Peach should be an indoor only kitty. If you’ve been seeking a sweet and beautiful companion cat come in and meet Peach located at 1st Avenue Shelter – Greenhill Humane Society, Eugene, OR
Hi my name is Coco. I’m a great girl that loves everyone. I’m great with other dogs and cats and am housebroken and crate trained. I was recently returned through no fault of my own-my parents got divorced (whatever that means) and couldn’t keep me. I promise a lifetime of love and devotion if you just give me a chance.- located at Georgia Homeless Pets, Smyrna, GA
Kit Kat is a lovely, long, and lean kitty that loves to be petted. Her owner left for Iraq and now Kit Kat needs a new home. Until this graceful feline knows you, she is shy and will hide. In a day or so she will venture out for a petting, sleep on your bed, and even climb into your lap! – located at 2 Paws Up, Raleigh, NC
While our world consists of interests outside our pets, we are their entire world and they depend on us exclusively for their health and well-being. Look into a dog’s eyes and you will understand the meaning of unconditional love.
Check out your local Sam’s Club and look for Pedigree Dog Food. Help out the cause. Pedigree will donate one bowl of dog food for every Pedigree dog product purchased at Sam’s Club this month!
For more information, check out Pedigree’s Social Networks:
For more dogs and cats that need adopted from your area, please check out Petfinder.com.
Are you new to the Sitcom? Be sure to check out my Frequently Asked Questions Page!
For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!