Feature Friday- Enchanted Fish

Create an Enchanted Fish using an embossing method on aluminum.  So what do you think I made this out of?  Well, how about disposable cookie sheets?

Enchanted Fish Faux Embossed Tin #recycle #pattern

Yep, I seem to be on one of those streaks again.  Seems like I have a ton of ideas in my head right now for disposable cookie sheets, including this 3D fish that seems to swim right off the picture.

2 ea. disposable cookie sheets
Enchanted Fish Pattern*
Knitting needle
Paintbrush
Assorted metalic acrylic paints
Aleene’s Metal Glue
Black Krylon Spray Paint

* The Enchanted Fish Pattern is a one of my premium patterns.  Sign up for Free Email updates of the Sitcom to have access to your free download!

Begin by cutting the raised edges off the cookie sheet so that you have one large flat piece.  Use the knitting needle to score 1/4 inch around all four sides.  Clip the corners, and fold the metal back along the score line (this will create a smooth even edge for your picture).

Enlarge your pattern to the size that you want it.  Place a towel on your table and lay the sheet of aluminum over it.  Cover with your pattern and use the knitting needle to lightly score the pattern into the metal.

Use the knitting needle and the blunt end of your paintbrush to rub the pattern into the metal.  The towel underneath gives you some play, but be careful not to push too hard.

There is no right or wrong way to do this.  Just emboss the design in the way that you would like.  I have decided to make certain sections of the fish 3D, including the fins of the fish and a couple pieces of seaweed.  For that reason, I did not emboss the fins of the fish.

Use the pattern to trace out the fin sections.  Cut them out and then score them how you would like them.  I also bent them a bit to make them stand out from the background.

Spray everything down with black spray paint.  I sprayed both sides of the fins.  I also sprayed both sides of a separate pan to use for cutting out the seaweed strips.

Use the glue to glue the fins in place.  I used some supports to keep the fins raised until the glue dried.  At this point, I also cut several 1 inch strips from the other cookie sheet, trimming them to a point at the top.  I wrapped these strips around a pencil to create long curly strips, and glued them in place on the sides of the picture.

Using the copper and gold metallic paints, I brushed color along the raised edges of the picture, leaving the indented areas black.

I used blue, greens and a mix of purple metallic paints for the water, and green in the seaweed, being sure to leave plenty of black showing.

I finished by using silver paint to paint in the eye and the bubbles.  To display this picture, I decided to paint a canvas black as the background.  I chose a canvas that was about 2″ larger all around than the fish picture, painted it, then glued the metal picture down on it.

And there you have it!  One Enchanted Fish!!

Enchanted Fish Faux Embossed Tin #recycle #pattern

Would you like a free copy of this pattern for your own Enchanted Fish project? Just sign up for the Free Email Updates of the Sitcom!

For a great video on this embossing technique, look here!

For similar projects, check out my Faux Tin Tile Tutorial and my Faux Punched Tin Tutorial!

• Jennifer June 18, 2015, 2:21 pm

What brand of paint did you use on the enchanted fish? My paint is cover to much is the intentions.

• barb April 21, 2015, 8:55 am

Hi Suzy: Im signed up and need the fish again – dont know what I did with it – so sorry to bother you. How do I sign in to your site when I return? Didnt see a place. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing work!

• Susan Myers April 21, 2015, 10:32 am

Hi Barb!

Check your email- I’ll send it to you. Would love to see what you make with it!

• Anonymous May 22, 2015, 10:56 am

Thanks so much. I am really interested in learning how to do the stained glass peacock. Is there a pattern? Thanks again, Barbara

• barb March 19, 2015, 2:12 pm

Hi, Suzy – Love your work and want to learn from you! Cant seem to get the Enchanted Fish to download – I was drawn to it and the Rooster which did download – can you help? Many thanks! (I did sign up)

• Barbara Bryson November 15, 2014, 5:15 pm

Hi Suzy,
    I just wanted to tell you that I love your projects. I plan to do something on an aluminum pan soon. Right now I’m in a much too small apartment. My mother is ill and lives with us and we had to give her my craft room (boo hoo) so I have nowhere to do any projects except crochet.

I wanted to ask you about the gourds. Do you dry them out yourself or do you buy them somewhere? I bought 2 gooseneck gourds about 6 weeks ago and one of them seems to be drying out by itself, but the other one is as green as it was when I bought it. Do I just need to let nature take its course or can I buy them already dried somewhere (I live in N.C. near Charlotte) what type of store would have them? BTW I grew up in Tucker, GA and went to Tucker High School until my senior year when my parents dragged me kicking and screaming to Charlotte because my daddy received an offer he couldn’t refuse from a bank. If you had looked up pissed off in the dictionary my picture would have been there! Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I enjoy your creativity so much and plan to do some toilet paper art when I get moved into a house.

Best wishes,

Barbara Bryson
    Cornelius, NC

• Courtney November 14, 2014, 12:00 am

Hi Suzy, what type of glue did you use to glue the tin to the canvas? I’m just finihing the winter fairy and cannot seem to get it to stick to the canvas.

• Susan Myers November 14, 2014, 4:50 pm

Hi Courtney!

Ooooh! I’d love to see what you made!

I used E6000 glue to glue the tin to the canvas. It works great. You need to allow it to dry for about an hour. It’s cheap too!

• Hannah October 20, 2014, 5:13 pm

Hi, i’m a subscriber and would really like to use the template for a school art project, can you please try to email it to me?

• Nancy October 8, 2014, 4:18 pm

I have been a subscriber for quite some time. Trying to get pattern for the Enchanted Fish but am unsuccessful. Tried to resubscribe, but that didn’t work either. Can you help? Thanks.

• Susan Myers October 9, 2014, 10:19 pm

I sure can! Will email that pattern to you right away!

• Phyllis Miller September 11, 2014, 8:50 pm

Love your ideas, 67 and still wanting to learn, thank you for sharing!!!

• Melissa September 8, 2014, 11:00 am

Hi! I subscribed to the newsletter and activated my subscription. Do you email the enchanted fish picture to me? If there is another way to get it please let me know! Thanks so much! This is such a great project!

• Abigael April 3, 2014, 12:02 pm

Suzy I love your project specially Mirrors made with plastic spoons it is awesome.
    Thanks a lot.

• Debra Gibson April 20, 2013, 10:29 am

We did it!!!! My boys (12 and 18) made them and they turned out AWESOME! Thank you for a great art project.

• Susan Myers April 21, 2013, 12:09 am

That’s awesome, Debra! Please send photos! I would love to feature them!

• Montai Adams March 14, 2013, 12:46 am

Please sign me up for your e-mail. Thanks

• teresa keller March 12, 2013, 9:59 pm

please sign me up for monthly newsletter and send me the free fish pattern thanks terri

• Nancy March 3, 2013, 9:36 pm

Thank you for a great craft on disposable cookie sheet.

• Charlet February 26, 2013, 1:50 am

I love the way you think…lol And your right crafty people are different then mere mortals….:) Thanks for all your inspiration…..

• Ed February 22, 2013, 7:11 am

Love it!

Trying to think of an economical way todo this project with youth group. Do u think heavy duty foil work?

• Susan Myers February 22, 2013, 8:20 am

Hi Ed,

Heavy foil will not hold the shape. The disposable aluminum pans are about 80 cents for three at Party City or any catering supply store. I use the ones that are meant for lids on serving trays. They are very cheap.
      Hope that helps.

• Noreen February 20, 2013, 8:55 am

That is so imaginative! I love it!!

• Jenny February 3, 2013, 9:38 pm

Hi Suzy … love your sight and all of your inspiring works of art. I got the email with the link …. however could not get the fish pattern. thanks in advance for your help. :0)

• Susan Myers February 3, 2013, 10:25 pm

Hi Jenny, It should be in your welcome email. But I’ve forwarded it onto you in email just in case.

• Judy February 3, 2013, 1:06 am

I also signed up for your news letter and clicked to activate and can not get the fish pattern. Please send to my email. Love your site and have been on it for 3 nights. You are one very talented lady. Looking forward to your news letters and and many more projects. Thanks!!

• Susan Myers February 3, 2013, 3:29 am

Hi Judy,

Thanks so much for subscribing! The fish pattern should be in your confirmation email. Check your junk email to be sure it did not go there. In order to receive the monthly newsletter, you have to click on the link in that email to confirm. I am emailing the pattern to you just in case it is another issue.

• Bea January 12, 2013, 4:04 pm

Signed up for your newsletter, clicked the link in my email but did not receive the free fish pattern. Would you please send it to my email. Thanks. Impressive use of the aluminium foil cookie sheet. Regards Bea Morris

• bonnie January 10, 2013, 4:45 pm

Hi Suzy,
    I have registered for the newsletter but have not received the free Enchanted Fish pattern (it is not linked in my email). Please send me the pattern to my email address. Thank you.

• Carie December 30, 2012, 7:06 pm

Gorgeous! I can’t find the fish pattern though – would you mind sending me the link? Thanks :)
    Carie

• Deb Friend December 29, 2012, 3:06 pm

I also am having trouble with getting the fish pattern. It always goes back to the sign up, could you send it to me please. Thanks, Deb

• Jaye @ Just Tryin' to Make Cents of it All September 15, 2012, 10:55 am

Okay, that’s just flipping amazing! I LOVE it! So different! Thanks for sharing. I’ve signed up for your newsletter – can’t wait to see what other stuff you have goin’ on! Stopping over from Debbie’s Pinterest party!

• Debra September 13, 2012, 2:53 pm

Beautiful.

• Rox September 7, 2012, 3:41 pm

I also can not find the fish pattern.
    Thanks for your help

• Summer August 31, 2012, 1:45 pm

Wow! I am seriously in aw of your skills! work!

• June August 29, 2012, 11:27 pm

I also registered for the newsletter and confirmed my registration. Could you please let me know how to get the fish pattern? Thanks so much for sharing this and your other ideas. I can’t wait to get started. I know what to do for Christmas gifts this year.

• katie August 28, 2012, 4:55 pm

Seriously!?!?!? This is amazing. I’m beyond impressed!

• Jeannie August 28, 2012, 4:10 pm

I registered for the newsletter and confirmed my registration. I was hoping to have access to the ‘free’ fish pattern but have not been able to access it. Each link I try indicates I have to sign up for the newsletter.

Could someone please provide a link to the free patterns for registered ‘members’.

Thank you.

• Jeannie August 28, 2012, 4:16 pm

got it!!

Thank you!!

• Kathy August 28, 2012, 12:29 pm

Suzy, This is beautiful! I am really looking forward to trying this.

• Mindy Cherri August 28, 2012, 12:13 am

This is a great project! I’m a high school art teacher and really want to share it with my students. Can I get the pattern?

• Brenda Williams August 26, 2012, 11:49 pm

FISHTASTIC! WOW….you are totally awesome! I love this project, it is just beautiful.

• Paula August 26, 2012, 8:37 pm

this is really awesome, really like the fish!!!

• Dorothy Kennett August 26, 2012, 4:37 am

Suzy – you’ve done it again. This is a clever art piece and it inspires us to come up with our own twist on it!
    Love it as usual!

• Evelyne Hofer August 25, 2012, 10:21 pm

I would like to use your fish pattern for the Enchanted Fish project please.

• Glenda August 25, 2012, 12:40 pm

FABulous.

• pat August 25, 2012, 9:10 am

love the tin fish great job. How do you get the pattern?

• Teddie Seeley August 25, 2012, 7:29 am

This is just beautiful! You are just so talented Suzy.
    Love it.

• melody hampshire August 24, 2012, 11:08 pm

real cool!

• Pamela Canton August 24, 2012, 5:10 pm

beautiful

• Trish Bevacqua August 24, 2012, 10:10 pm

VERY CLEVER!

• shirley tener August 24, 2012, 4:03 pm

I would love this as a Mermaid.. its beautiful

• Amy* August 24, 2012, 12:14 pm

Yeah I’m in total agreement with everyone else in that this is absolutely AMAZING! What a fabulous work of art! The step by steps are fantastic…I feel like I just took a fancy art class and now my creative synapses are firing full force :) Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful art and how you created it.

Amy*

• Suzy August 25, 2012, 10:43 pm

Thank you so much Amy! You totally made my day! The whole idea of the Sitcom is to inspire so it always makes me happy to know that I am succeeding in inspiring my readers!

• Lynda August 24, 2012, 11:54 am

Ok, we HAVE to do this for the next craft meeting!!!!!!! OMG, I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t believe how it turned out, I’m amazed!!!

• Lynne August 24, 2012, 11:28 am

That looks amazing! You would never know it started as a cookie sheet. It has a very expensive look to it.

• Johnnie August 24, 2012, 10:19 am

I don’t even know what to say. Wow.

• Diane August 24, 2012, 10:11 am

Wow, this is stunning!

• norene August 24, 2012, 9:16 am

I am absolutely amazed at what you come up with in your projects. This is fabulous! I love it.

• deb August 24, 2012, 8:53 am

This is fabulous Suzy! I’m gonna have to give this disposable cookie sheet thing a try!
    Keep the ideas comin’! Hugs! deb