Holiday Tree Napkin Rings- easy DIY!

A few weeks ago, I told you that Mona from Craft Klatch had challenged me to a “craft-off”.  Our supplies would consist of recycled paper towel tubes, buttons, glitter and gemstones.  What to do?  Well, we both worked some late hours on this one.

But we both came up with something unique that you won’t see anywhere else.  So, are you ready for the reveal?  Here are my Holiday Tree Napkin Rings made from recycled paper towel tubes!

quilled christmas tree napkin rings

Made using a quilling technique that I used on my Faux Metal Wall Art, Faux Iron Gate and Faux Brass Wall Clock, these sweet little Christmas trees can be used as napkin rings as shown in the photo above, or made into tree ornaments!  Want to know what Mona came up with?  Page down to the bottom of this post and check it out!

In the meantime, let me show you how I made them!

My supplies?

Well as you already know, paper towel tubes and buttons.  Yep, I have an unusually large amount of paper tubes hanging around.  Don’t judge.

In addition, I used glitter, Mod Podge, acrylic paint, gem stones, hot glue, and white glue.

quilled christmas tree napkin rings

Begin by cutting open lengthwise about 10 paper towel tubes.  Use green acrylic paint to paint the inside.

quilled christmas tree napkin rings

Once the paint dries, paint the outside of all the tubes.

Sitcom 2 step option

quilled christmas tree napkin rings

Cut the tubes horizontally into 1/4 inch strips.  These strips will already have a curve to them which will help you in the next step.

quilled christmas tree napkin rings

In order to create the main frame of the tree, wrap the  end of a strip around the end of a paintbrush handle and coil the strip.  Create coils  as above.  The top three coils were made with half of a strip.  The bottom coil is a full strip that is not uncoiled.

Click here for the next step!

Next page2

Pages: 1 2

• Nicole December 6, 2016, 12:00 am

Your Christmas tree napkin rings are beautiful. I can tell they were made with love. Thank you for linking up with us at the #HomeMattersParty – hope to see you again this Friday!

• Marie November 29, 2016, 8:51 am

This is such a fantastic idea! Plus I’m always up for pretty, glittery decor. Thanks for sharing your tutorial with us at Merry Monday this week!

• Melinda Mitchell November 28, 2016, 9:57 pm

Gorgeous!! I do not have the patience for all that quilling, but it is so lovely!!
    Inspire me monday

• Teresa November 24, 2015, 10:36 am

I love them, they turned out really cute!
    If you have time, I would love for you to share this post over at the Holidays Celebration link party that is live right now! It’s such a neat idea, I’m sure our readers would love it too! (http://keepingitrreal.blogspot.com.es/2015/11/holidays-celebration-link-party-2-is.html)

• Doreen Fulton December 6, 2014, 3:27 am

I believe you are so creative and I was inspired by your blog to create my own version of “Windmills at Night” which is no where close to as nice as yours.

I do wonder why people want to put toilet paper rolls on a table though. As I think about what germy items come out of a body and how sloppy young children and old people can be, I am revolted. I will probably try your Christmas tree as an ornament on a package, but I will use paper towel rolls instead of toilet paper rolls as I pull the paper off the towel roll before the paper comes in contact with soiled hands or anything that comes close to excreta from a human body.

I do believe you are so talented.

• Susan Myers December 9, 2014, 10:31 pm

Hi Doreen!
      Thanks so much for the kind words! Regarding the tp tubes, well mine sit around for about a year before I find a use for them. Then they are covered in paint and clear sealant. So I doubt any germ is present in the final product. Even so, I respect your opinion. And paper towel tubes are a fine substitution!

• Loisjean November 27, 2016, 7:04 pm

Hi Doreen, Most germs die if the surface is dry – they need moisture to live. But if really worried, use a disinfectant spray on the tubes outside or in a large room and let dry completely. When no odor is left from the disinfectant, continue with Suzy’s directions.

• Lynda September 30, 2014, 1:23 pm

I like yours the best!!!!!

• IamUniquelyImperfect September 29, 2014, 11:12 pm

Hi my love Suzy, wow, I love your tree. So creative. Unfortunately, I’d have to vote for Mona’s star as the winner. Although, your tree is a very close second. Hmmm, maybe I’d call it a tie! Thanks for sharing. Love ya’ Patricia B