Painted Paisley Stones- fun painting project!

I love the look of paisley and I love to paint, so it was just natural to decide to paint a bunch of rocks with a paisley pattern!  This easy project took a bit of time, but the results are colorful and very paisley-like!  Painted Paisley stones make beautiful decorations in your garden or potted plants, or even on your desk as a paper weight!  Want to know how?

paisley painted stones diy

I’ve painted rocks before.  My Snowflakes Stones with bling tutorial is very popular right now.  I’ve also done a lot of work with paisley- for example, my gossipy Paisley Chickens.  I also work a lot with acrylic metallic paints.  Some examples of projects using metallic paints include my Faux Tin Tiles and Embossed Metal Carousel Horse.  This week, I combined the projects and came up with some sweet paisley stones!

paisley painted stones diy

Assorted sizes of river rocks (smooth rocks)
Acrylic black paint
Assorted colors of Acrylic Metallic Paints
Matte Mod Podge

paisley painted stones diy

I needed some pretty river rocks.  Where would I get these?  Well…the local fish restaurant has an awesome bit of landscaping which involves thousands of river rocks.  So… I suggested eating at the fish place to the hubby, who thought it was a grand idea!  Little did he know that I had ulterior motives!  To my husbands’ total embarrassment, I asked the manager if I could have some rocks.  Ha!

The manager gave the okay, although come to think of it, he did look at me funny.  And then my husband had to bear the embarrassment of standing outside while I picked out my favorites.  He was quite certain that at any time, a police officer would show up demanding what we were doing.  Yep. I’m sure they regularly patrol the fish parking lot looking for rock pilferers.  Honestly, you’d think he’d be used to this kind of stuff by now!  Anyway…I got my rocks!

paisley painted stones diy

Mom comes over every Sunday and helps me with the multiple craft projects that are always piled in my work room.  This time I handed her my sweet pile of rocks and a paintbrush and asked her to paint them all black.  Mom doesn’t question my motives because she knows it will eventually be something nice.  So, she grabbed the paint and went to work!

paisley painted stones diy

Both sides were painted black with regular black acrylic paint.  I chose this because I thought it would be a good contrast against the brightly colored metallic paints.  It took two coats on each side to get good coverage.

paisley painted stones diy

I then had Mom paint on the paisleys.  Paisleys are rather easy to paint.  Simply paint a tear drop shape, then add a curled tail to it.  Using various colors of acrylic metallic paint and turning the paisleys this way and that, we covered all the stones with a paisley pattern.

paisley painted stones diy

I then added more details after each color dried, adding new colors in dots, flowers, and teardrops.

paisley painted stones diy

To add contrast, touches of the black acrylic paint were used to create borders and extra design on the paisleys.

paisley painted stones diy

Each stone is different and each has a different color scheme.

paisley painted stones diy

The final touch was to seal the entire project with Matte Mod Podge.  The Mod Podge protects the paint, keeping it from chipping.

paisley painted stones diypaisley painted stones diy

paisley painted stones diypaisley painted stones diy

paisley painted stones diy

They would look just beautiful as a garden decoration or an addition to a potted plant!

paisley painted stones diy

And wouldn’t it be fun to tuck a few of them back into the landscaping at the fish place as a little thank you?  The hubby just gave me a concerned look.  Ha!

Love the paisley stones, but don’t have time to make them?  They are now in my shop!

suzys sitcom facebook page

Life on Lakeshore DriveMaking monday feature

Want to try your hand at quilting?  My newest quilt Pattern- Batiks Gone Wild!  A great gift!

batiks gone wild quilt pattern

For over 150 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Jennifer August 29, 2015, 1:28 pm

These are fantastic! This would be a great way to brighten up the yard here in drought affected central California! I have one question–does the Mod Podge coating stand up to being rained on (not that we get that much)? The reason I ask is that years ago my mom made some washi paper covered easter eggs and coated them with mod podge. Then she wrapped them in tissue paper and stored them in a box in the storage shed. When she passed away, I unpacked the box and the tissue paper had adhered to all the eggs. Apparently the mod podge became sticky again when the air was moist. I saw on Amazon that Mod Podge now makes an outdoor sealer–is this what you use?

• Beverly Deardurff May 31, 2015, 10:56 pm

I love your “paisley” patterned stones. I bought rocks for a different project in which I wrote quotes on using a fine permament felt pen as a go-away gift for my therapist. I had boughten them at Walmart. They were white and smooth. My grandson, Gus, who is 2 1/2 was visiting us from Texas with my son, Wesley, who is in the Army stationed at Ft. Hood, and Gus’ mom. Gus and painted stones. His attention span was about 15 to 20 minutes. Normal for his age. He painted 3 rocks. I thought he’d take them home, but his mom said to leave them. I think I’ll put the date on them, but I don’t know if I’ll mail them to Texas. I might just keep them and show them to him when he comes back. I’m very artistic, have been planning on painting a “fish pond”, painted rock creatures, and a ladybug bowling ball. I like the idea of the “paisley” stepping stone path. I already have an alligator in my side yard. The pocess is slow because in physically handicapped and my husband doesn’t help me. Another idea would to paint a small stone or shell with the paisley pattern and make it into a necklace. I’ll leave that up to the pro. That’s you Susan!

• Llana April 5, 2015, 10:46 am

Cute, cute, cute!!!

I definitely think you should return a few of them to the rock landscaping you got them from. I bet the owner would be delighted! Do take a picture and post it for us.

We have millions of river rock where I live. Might have to go grab and few and try this even if I’ve never been able to paint before.

• Susan Myers April 18, 2015, 12:57 pm

Hi Llana!

Thank you so much! They were very fun to make!

I happened up on sea stones this week. They are almost perfect round. Lots of ideas in my head!

If you decide to paint some up, I’d love to see them!

• Christina @ I Gotta Create! February 4, 2015, 8:22 pm

These are so pretty! Featuring you at the linky party today. Thanks so much for linking up!
    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

• Suzan January 31, 2015, 7:14 pm

These are just gorgeous !
    I’m a little obsessed with paisley – painted our entire floor ( in the den ) with a paisley pattern so this project is right up my alley !
    Thanks so much for sharing – I’m off to pin

• Audrey January 30, 2015, 6:11 pm

so beautiful, but far beyond my painting talents!

saw this on Wonderful Wednesdays

• Terrie January 30, 2015, 12:24 am

Adorable! I tried painting some rocks but I must have used the wrong kind of paint because I didn’t get such vibrant results. I’ll have to try again and follow your example. :)

• Susan Myers February 2, 2015, 4:50 pm

Thank you so much! I think the metallic paints are what makes them so vibrant. I love using them on unusual things. Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Diana Rambles January 29, 2015, 6:28 pm

These are super cute!! Love them!

• Chelsey January 29, 2015, 8:55 am

These are so cool! I would love to get a ton of river rocks to paint like this and use as a sidewalk or something. So pretty!

• Susan Myers February 2, 2015, 4:49 pm

Hi Chelsey!

Wouldn’t a paisley sidewalk be fabulous! If you decide to make one, I’d love to see it! Thank you so much for stopping by!

• Malia @ Small Town Girl January 28, 2015, 10:33 pm

I love this idea! Sounds like a fun rainy day project :) Pinned.

• Anna January 28, 2015, 4:41 pm

They’re so pretty! I’ve got a load of rocks my children picked up at the beach so I’ll definitely try this!

• Susan Myers February 2, 2015, 4:44 pm

Hi Anna!

Would love to see what you come up with! I hope to have access to lots of fun rocks when we start traveling in a few months. If something sits still long enough, I paint it paisley! LOL!

• Cher January 28, 2015, 9:41 am

Really beautiful! The rocks are so colorful – you are very talented!

• Susan Myers January 28, 2015, 1:45 pm

Hi Cher!

Thank you so much for your kind words!

• T'onna @ USS Crafty January 26, 2015, 10:10 pm

These are very beautifully painted!

• Shelly January 25, 2015, 2:18 pm

Adorable! Thanks for sharing with us over at DIY Sunday Showcase! I pinned this to our talent board!

• Susan Myers January 28, 2015, 1:22 pm

Hi Shelly!

Thank you so much!! So honored to have one of my projects featured on your board!

• Joy @ Yesterfood January 25, 2015, 8:26 am

Suzy, these are so pretty- really eye-catching! I saw them at Life on Lakeshore Dr Bouquet of Talent party and wanted to come and get a closer look. How fun that your mom and you work on these together. :) LOVE Paisley! ♥

• Julie January 25, 2015, 4:57 am

I honestly don’t think these could be any more lovely if they tried!
    They are just soooo pretty. What a lovely idea, I have NO time to try this now but my pinterest boards now say I will get to them one day! (What a fab doorstop a big stone would make)

• Susan Myers January 28, 2015, 1:20 pm

Hi Julie!

Thank you so much! I have a thing for paisley and it seems that I paint them on just about everything! LOL! Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Kaitlyn May 4, 2014, 10:33 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS IDEA! I think its a PERFECT Mother’s Day idea since it’s in the Spring! I won’t be doing in this year since I didn’t find it in time, but it hit the list of my favorite 24 projects I’ve found. I just created my new blog and my first real post was 24-Mothers Day Gifts that don’t Break the Bank! I shared this, and wanted to let you know in case you need any additional kind of credit/linking. I pinned it for ideas for next year!

• Lori April 8, 2014, 7:10 pm

I leave painted rocks everywhere I travel tucked in flower pots in vail village Colorado Atlanta zoo Washington, D.C. Museum, etc fun, huh?

• Cristin @ Eve of Reduction March 12, 2014, 9:48 am

It’s so funny how we can get funny looks in the pursuit of creativity. Did you tell the manager he’d get some free publicity on your blog? I love the black with the lighter metallics – so pretty!

• deb February 16, 2014, 11:20 am

this are really nice.I live on a farm and mostly “raise” rocks in the summer.These would be a great local project, very nice! Thanks

• jet February 9, 2014, 12:07 pm

lovely and still strong of looking. awesome done!!!!
    thank you for the tute and sharing.

• Susan Myers February 11, 2014, 6:52 pm

You are very welcome! They were lots of fun to make!

• Corinne February 8, 2014, 12:20 pm

These are beautiful….my weekend inspiration for this week! Thank you!

• Ann Martin February 7, 2014, 5:33 pm

Pretty! They look like fun to do and i bet it’s a relaxing process.

• Susan Myers February 11, 2014, 6:55 pm

Thank you, Ann! Yes, painting paisleys is very relaxing.

• Tiff February 7, 2014, 4:51 pm

I love these!

• Glenda February 7, 2014, 2:09 am

Those are great. (And I love the idea of you putting a few back into the fish place’s stash). I’d like to see one of the rocks done up like your Ukrainian eggs (which are fabulous by the way).

I have a question that I’m hoping as you’ve done so many crafts you might have some chance of answering. And it does pertain to rocks so sort of appropriate for this thread. Do you know what sort of glue can be used (successfully) to adhere metal to small stones (basic river rocks)? I tried hot glue but the metal bits just pop right off.

• Paula Thompson February 7, 2014, 1:28 am

Wow this is lovely Susie you are very talented I’m gonna try this today do you think I would be able to do this on stones? I haven’t got any river stones I love your page I’ve done your cockerel stain glass painting my family were very impressed being I’ve never been creative before thank you for sharing x

• Susan Myers February 11, 2014, 7:03 pm

Hi Paula!

Yes, you can do this on regular stones! I went for river rock because I love the shape. Would love to see what you come up with!