How to create fun wall art with beans!

New ideas come to me in the craziest places.   I was grocery shopping the other day and stopped short in the bean aisle.  An idea came to mind and I started adding bags of beans to my cart.  The hubby wanted to know if I planned on making soup. Ummm….no.  I’m thinking crafts!  He shrugged and moved on.  He knows me well enough to know that I’m pretty unpredictable.   After all, nobody is allowed to throw away TP tubes or pickle jars in my house.  So it isn’t a stretch to create art with beans!

creating art with beans

I put together these two cool pieces of wall art that are sure to catch the eye.  In fact, I think they will go perfectly in my remodeled kitchen!  Want to know how to make this cute Coffee and Tea wall art with beans?

Black Beans
White beans
White glue
Acrylic Paint in black
(2 ea.) 9 x 12 canvases
Clear Acrylic Sealant

creating art with beans

Begin by drawing out your silhouettes.  I drew a coffee cup and the work “Coffee” on one canvas.  Just the outline is all you need, and if it is easier, you could use a stencil to make the lettering.  Just remember that the beans are about 1/4″ wide.

creating art with beans

On the other canvas, I drew an outline of a teapot and the word “Tea”.

creating art with beans

Paint everything that is going to be covered with black beans with the black acrylic paint.  You do this so that when the beans are placed, the white canvas will not show around the edges of the beans.

creating art with beans

Now the fun part.  Add glue to a small section of the black, and start placing the beans.  Cover all your black areas with black beans, adding glue as you go.

creating art with beans

creating art with beans

Allow the one canvas to dry and fill in the black beans on the second canvas.

creating art with beans

Finish both canvases by filling in the white areas with white beans.  Use black acrylic paint to paint the edges of the canvas to give it a finished look, and then be sure to coat the entire project in clear acrylic sealant.

creating art with beans

And there you have it!  I love the texture of this piece!  I’m actually thinking about a more detailed project using some of the other colored beans….

bouquet of talent sundayfeatured on link partycrafty allie worthwhile wendesdays ive been featured_zpsjdzilldxDIYFeaturedButtonThinkMakeFeatured200
suzys sitcom facebook page

For over 200 crafty tutorials for all ages, visit my Tutorial Page!

• Allie February 25, 2015, 12:42 am

Love this art Suzy! I’m featuring it on Worthwhile Wednesdays!

• Southern Scraps February 21, 2015, 10:25 pm

This is such a cool project!

• Audrey February 21, 2015, 4:45 pm

This would be fun in my French Country style kitchen.

saw this on You’re Gonna Love It.

• Debbie February 19, 2015, 10:10 pm

What a fabulous idea! I love it.

• Maggie@Polka Dots in the Country February 19, 2015, 8:11 pm

Stopping by from the Cook it, Craft it, Share it link up!

This is such a cute idea, love this for a kitchen!

• Jennifer February 18, 2015, 10:29 pm

So cute for a kitchen! I love the black and white!

• Nici February 18, 2015, 10:03 pm

This is so clever! Love those designs! I’d be thrilled if you shared this craft at my Creative Ways Link Party that’s live right now. Hope to see you there!

• Marci February 18, 2015, 9:50 pm

This is such a cute and creative project!

• Christina @ I Gotta Create! February 18, 2015, 9:16 pm

You are brilliant my friend! Thanks for linking up at the party this week.
    <3 Christina

• Maria February 18, 2015, 11:52 am

Oh wow!!!! How pretty and how creative!!! So beautifully made, and such a fun idea!!! Love this!!!

• Krista February 18, 2015, 7:15 am

What a cool idea! I love the way these turned out!

• FarZain February 18, 2015, 1:48 am

Love what you have created, Suzy! The textures are really pretty.

• jessica February 18, 2015, 12:04 am

OMG what a neat idea! I adore this idea! I was just looking at dried beans at the store earlier and almost got a bag to make something with but I couldnt think of what to do so I left them on the shelf! now I am going to have to go back and get them lol. I would love it if you stopped by and joined my party! I would be honored to have you around!!
    Have a wonderful week!

• Rose @ Walnut Acre February 17, 2015, 8:19 pm

This is AWESOME! I think it would be a lot of fun to do as well.

• Susie at Oui Crochet February 17, 2015, 6:22 pm

OK, this is AWESOME! I never would have thought to use beans for art.
    Makes me wonder if coffee beans could be used for the coffee pic? Maybe too oily, though…
    Anyway, I love this! I Pinned it. 🙂

• Suzie@homemaker-mom February 16, 2015, 5:50 pm

That is simply amazing. I love it. Happy to find you via Motivation Monday Linky Party #130 Now following!

• Erica February 16, 2015, 1:57 pm

These are so COOL! I’m a big tea fan and my husband is a big coffee fan so these would go perfectly over our tea/coffee bar that we have at our house!

• Ashley Tukiainen February 16, 2015, 10:32 am

That is the coolest idea! I love it. Pinning for later 🙂

• T'onna @ USS Crafty February 16, 2015, 1:44 am

I love these! Such a great idea, and they look great! I’m pinning these!

Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party

• Laura @ Over The Apple Tree February 15, 2015, 10:35 pm

These are so fun and cute! You’ve inspired me, although I may not use beans…hmm, I have to check out my color options. Thanks so much for sharing your idea!

• Amy @ StowandTellU February 14, 2015, 8:17 pm

These are so fun and adorable. Great project for kids and I feel like they’d still be keepers years from now. Pinned and shared

• Alli November 3, 2014, 5:36 pm

this is such a great idea! I remember making roosters with beans at VBS when I was a little girl. Love it!!

• Cookie17 October 27, 2014, 10:01 pm

You have another great one here ,real pretty in kitchen,Thank’s Happy Halloween……

• Gina October 27, 2014, 4:29 pm

Love this Suzy! I had my son cut me 10 pieces of 12 inch square plywood that I was going to do mosaics on but the tile is so expensive and I’ve kind of been pretty broke this year. You saved the day, I can use beans and they are cheap! Yay 🙂

• Cene October 27, 2014, 1:32 pm

I really like the way your wall art turned out. I think they would be great as trivets too.

• jet October 27, 2014, 11:16 am

awesome idea.
    Like this, i had to laughted when you told about your family is used to save materials mom can used.
    it’ s the same by me. My sis is doing this as well, and helped me allways to safe new materials.
    But she is doing it in her home as well.
    so i can understand this new material of using beans.LOL
    thank you for sharing and the tute of this gorgious idea of yours.
    it’s looking great!